Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    That posted UI screenshot is an eyesore. Holy cow.. if I didn't see the name Deepholm in the bottom right I wouldn't have been able to tell what you were playing. @_@

I can't help but feel that if you need more than 50 abilities to play the game during any particular encounter, either

1) You haven't been able to determine what your most important/meaningful abilities are.

2) The game is poorly designed.

I'm still not sure if its 1 or 2, and I've been playing for a while. I'm leaning towards 2 though. There's so many games out there with meaningful and challenging gameplay that don't require 50+ buttons

Quote Originally Posted by Borzo View Post
    I can't help but feel that if you need more than 50 abilities to play the game during any particular encounter, either

1) You haven't been able to determine what your most important/meaningful abilities are.

2) The game is poorly designed.
    Or 3) They're giving you a full kit of situational abilities. My BH, for example, had 13 attacks when he was only level 24 plus a variety of defense/utility options. I use all but one of them in various situations.

I definitely want something like Bartender though. And the ability to bind on invisible bars (I don't need to see things that don't have a CD).
    Last edited by belfpala; 2012-01-27 at 07:13 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    the game does not need more action slots. It needs ability consolidation, macros, and custom UI.

I had no issues on my trooper with slots, but my shadow was another story. Both had a few abilities that could have been merged or seemed redundant.
    I like sandwiches

Give one more at the bottom, or allow more buttons to the 2 bottom ones and im a happy camper.

And binds have nothing to do with it, i like to see the cds of abilitys on the bottom bars, not side ones.

Quote Originally Posted by alilei31 View Post
    More action bars IS NOT the answer it just adds to the problem. The problem is this game has more abilities than like every MMO I have played combined.
    Hyperbole is fun, right. My paladin on WoW has more abilities than any of my TOR characters. The difference is that I only have most them on my paladin's bars because I play all three specs (five, if you count pvp versions), and I only use a fraction of them at any given time. In TOR, I have to use a much larger tool set constantly.

I could see how that's a problem, especially for someone not accustomed to using keybinds. And you don't need a crazy gaming keyboard and mouse. Just think a little, keybind the stuff you're going to use most often and then click a few things... you don't need your 60 minute buff or 20 minute CD bound, for example. Triage.
    Last edited by belfpala; 2012-01-27 at 07:32 PM.

No reason for 20 or 30 abilities not to be enough.

You hear people talking about macros and stacking abilities so they fire off at the same time... well that's just proof the abilities are badly designed. If people only use an ability when macroed to another ability, those 2 abilities shouldn't be separate at all and should have been combined at the start.

Quote Originally Posted by Azidonis View Post
    Dominos, Bartender 4.
    Should have been the end of thread right here ^^

Really? a paladin with loads of keybinds cant tell if serious. I have 2 level 85 pallys. Tanking is a joke so i can get by using a 3 ability rotation and then my defensive cooldowns. Holy? OK use I Vuhdo with 2-3 mouseovers. LolRet. Also your hotbars change when you respec so if you use 10 as holy, 10 as ret, and 10 as prot you arent using 30 abilities you are still only using 10.
    Woah, calm down. Read what I said. Paladin has a ton of abilities but "I only use a fraction of them at any given time." The point wasn't to say paladin is hard or anything, rather to respond to your hyperbole. And I acknowledged that having to use so many abilities simultaneously, as in TOR, might be difficult. It seemed a bit overwhelming on my first character, as I wasn't expecting it... but now on my second, it just seems normal. In fact, I'm hoping to get a couple more abilities soon (BH gets an interrupt and an execute, right? I hope?)

---------- Post added 2012-01-27 at 07:39 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Greendog View Post
    Should have been the end of thread right here ^^
    Should have noticed he was posting in the TOR forum.

They should just implement the same macro system Rift has so I can wear out my 1 key all the way to 50 with a macro containing 15 moves.
    Can't tell if this is sarcasm or not but please dont, that was one of the things i most hated in Rift.

Deleted
    If you don't click - there is no reason to have this stuff in the center of the screen, blocking all the nice views
    If you click trinkets, etc.. - i agree with your initial point.

Quote Originally Posted by Atrahasis View Post

Please refrain from /10 or /10char posts. Either elaborate or hold off on posting. ~ Dakia
    I know this will get me written up or banned, but who else thinks the mods for the swtor section have a napoleon complex? If a post breaks the rules delete it, if it doesn't, but you personally do not like it leave it the hell alone and stay out of my post.

Also to keep from Hi-jacking the thread, I have no problems with bindings. I use my 4 action bars which are all 100% full, but it is just enough room for everything I need. I have a naga which gives me easy access to everything I need.

Please do not discuss mod actions on the open forums. If you have issues with moderator actions, please send us a PM or PM a higher level moderator. ~ Dakia
    Last edited by Dakia; 2012-01-27 at 08:25 PM.

I disagree with this thread.

Note my only experience is that of a concealment and medic operative.

The 36 slots I have available that I bind to shift and control are more than adequate even if I include consumable and manual relic proccing.

Heck if I wanted to give up control of my companion (and thus far I have seen no downside in doing so), I could use the alt key and bind another 12 abilities.

I don't even think an operative has 48 abilities period.

I can't imagine the other classes being much different as far as number of abilities go.

However I would like to see some sort of macros available and at least some mouseover healing capabilities on the operations frames.

The solution to MMOs is fewer skills, not more.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    Here is what it looked like after I modified it to my tastes:
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Lol. That's horrifying! *shudder*

But I will agree that they need to open this thing up for some bar mods or make their own. I can live with it but I'd be happier with a more compact setup.

Quote Originally Posted by GrodinLB View Post
    The solution to MMOs is fewer skills, not more.
    The ability to have a large set of situation abilities that I can pick and choose from to suit a predicament is an interesting and entertaining element for me. So your solution is kind of personal.

To put it in WoW terms (roughly): some people like arcane mages, some people like frost mages.

The only catch of course is to have abilities that are suitably differentiated from each other. Twelve abilities to do 10 damage as 5 meters is not exactly a good design either.
    ~ flarecde
    Reality is nothing; Perception is everything.

10+ Year Old Account
    I also would love way more actionbars there are simply as juggernaut immortal so many abilities and there is no place i can put them anymore..
    I want to be able to have a similar amount of Bars like my [outdated (changed it 2 months back cba to take a screenshot but the action bars didnt change so)] wow UI:

(And yes im horrible at erasing names >.>)

10+ Year Old Account
    More action bars IS NOT the answer it just adds to the problem. The problem is this game has more abilities than like every MMO I have played combined. They need to get rid of half them and add macros. You shouldnt have to be a keyboard athlete with a G15 and a Naga just to make your character not suck. I gave up on my sentinel because I had like 20 abilities and if I didnt use all of them it either took forever to kill something or I died.
    It's funny because having many fun tools was what I like about Sentinels. I can't even point out a Sentinel ability that could be removed without negatively impacting play experience (the only exception is Pommel Strike, which isn't even a skill intended for Sentinels). For some other ACs, sure, e.g. Commando AoE does not really need that many skills.
    While it is true that you need a lot of keybinds, I use around the same number of them on my SWToR characters as I did on my Hunter in WoW. A possible issue you are having is that in WoW, binding stuff like pet summons was not needed all that much, and in SWToR more abilities are important. Is that really such a bad thing?
    I would even suggest that perhaps you are not as great at WoW as you think if you only use 10 binds as, well, pretty much any class.

As for macros, they are certainly needed. Some stuff is just better off macroed, especially relics/adrenals.
    Last edited by Vulturia; 2012-01-27 at 08:51 PM.
    Players will no longer randomly suffer falling damage.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I love the many abilities its whats going to set me vs others; it was a bit zomg another option at first but once you read and take the time to learn you'll see quit a bit are situational and rotations are usually no more than 5-6 abilities.