Deleted

Wireless N network

I've recently moved from my old G router and wireless usb, to a netgear dgn100 and getnet gn-621u usb wireless receiver, and the internet speed has become a lot slower - I've read that N networks can be worse for some.
    Is there anything I can do to improve the signal? All ideas are welcome as I hate having a wire trailing all the way up into my room.
    Thanks

I had a wireless N setup in my house and for me to get the performance I expected I needed to tweak the router settings.

First, you need to scan your wireless spectrum and choose a non crowded channel to dedicate to. Having (Auto) set as your channel selection is not ideal.
    Second, you need to ensure you are using WPA2 AES Encryption on your wireless network. This ensures you're running the most secure and most optimized encryption method for your home to use wireless N
    Third, you'll want to set your router to connect via Wireless N at 2.4ghz or 5ghz depending on what your PC card can connect to. It should be dedicated Wireless N and not shared such as b/g/n.
    Fourth, Looks like you're using different Manufacturers for your USB card and Router. Typically you'll get better performance by using devices of the same manufacturer as they are simply made to work better with each other.

This is all I got. Making the adjustments, for me, made my wireless N network what I expected.

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    N will almost never be worse in identical situations beause of a few technologies.

- It implements more clever modulation for better max throughput.
    - Most routers and clients implement MIMO and antenna diversity for a better signal.

It just looks like you're using a lowish-end router and client adapter. Your router only has a single antenna when higher-end routers have three or sometimes even more. Without at least two antennas you cannot take advantage of MIMO or antenna diversity.

What I do to get WiFi from my cable modem into my home office is use two routers, both Apple Airport Extremes in this case. One functions as the DHCP host, and the other is in client/repeater mode. I then hook up my devices to that router via ethernet cable. I would get a Linksys E4200/E3200/E2500 and a WES610N or something.