1. #1

    Opinions... Game trailers...

    I went back and watched the three primary trailers for SWTOR at this link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1KM3E0emjg and as I watched them again I couldn't help but think, "damnit, this game just looks so freaking epic and being a sith is going to be off the hook cool". Of most of the game trailers I've ever seen I think SWTOR did if not the best one of the best ever with these three.

    So that said, can a trailer be too good? Not that the game is total fail but there are a lot of major short comings. But in my lil ol' opinion this game isn't freaking close to being as good as the trailers. Whereas, looking back on when I first got into WoW, I thought man, if this is the game I dunno. I spent two years with WoW and at times had an amazing time with that game.

  2. #2
    Dreadlord flarecde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    782
    I like CCP's trailers for EVE, and some of the best ones even come close to what an actual game session can be like. Trailers are trailers though, they are entirely designed to drum up hype and interest. I think SWTOR's trailers are nice in that they feature the general classes for each side, and what they might look like devoid of the actual gaming systems that the game is confined to. Sure, the actual game play is nothing like that, but it kind of bridges game play and the story telling imagination.
    ~ flarecde
    Reality is nothing; Perception is everything.

  3. #3
    Over 9000! Glorious Leader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    In my bunker leading uprisings
    Posts
    9,407
    Is the hamburger in your mcdonalds commerical ever that good? Sadly no. This is more or less analogous for game trailers as well.

  4. #4
    I think CoD was a bigger let down...I haven't found Jonah Hill yet in that game

  5. #5
    Scarab Lord
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Comox Valley, BC
    Posts
    4,364
    I personally have never expected a cinematic trailer to look like the game. It is a cinematic trailer for a reason. That is unless there is a small print indicating "actual gameplay footage" then that is a different story. I like cinematic trailers though, they look cool and get you hyped up for the movie / game / book whatever.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Culadin View Post
    I personally have never expected a cinematic trailer to look like the game. It is a cinematic trailer for a reason.
    If only it could. If only it could. WoW and Star Wars would be kickass amazing if that were the case. Guess we can keep waiting; it might happen some day <3

  7. #7
    Fluffy Kitten
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    5,167
    I enjoy trailers for what they are, great hype builders. The great majority of the time, they aren't indicative of the actual game play. I remember that being a big deal a few years ago when people got all pissy. Trailers like the Return Trailer just blow my mind. I watch them for pure entertainment value.

    Quote Originally Posted by jayinjersey View Post
    I think CoD was a bigger let down...I haven't found Jonah Hill yet in that game
    Okay, I actually LOLed at that one.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellrae View Post
    I went back and watched the three primary trailers for SWTOR at this link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1KM3E0emjg and as I watched them again I couldn't help but think, "damnit, this game just looks so freaking epic and being a sith is going to be off the hook cool". Of most of the game trailers I've ever seen I think SWTOR did if not the best one of the best ever with these three.

    So that said, can a trailer be too good? Not that the game is total fail but there are a lot of major short comings. But in my lil ol' opinion this game isn't freaking close to being as good as the trailers. Whereas, looking back on when I first got into WoW, I thought man, if this is the game I dunno. I spent two years with WoW and at times had an amazing time with that game.
    Jesus Christ, by now everyone should have learned from Dead Island - good trailer doesn't mean the game will be any good.


    Epic trailer.

    Shitty game.

  9. #9
    Trailers for any media, (games, movies etc) are just to build hype. Had they used ingame footage, it would not have been as impressive as a CGI trailer.

    All of the SWTOR trailers show badass a full CGI Star Wars (no, not like The Clone Wars animated series / movie) could be. It would take a few years to make and if they could pull it off, it would be amazing.

    Either do a KOTOR type storyline that is in the past or future so that it gets away from the established movie lore to make new characters / story etc and you would have a whole new generation that will appreciate Star Wars for what it was back in the 70's / 80's. That being said, it would need to be PG-13 at least so that it can have some grit to it.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Assassination13 View Post
    Jesus Christ, by now everyone should have learned from Dead Island - good trailer doesn't mean the game will be any good.


    Epic trailer.

    Shitty game.
    Could not agree more. Really a beautiful trailer attached to such a horrible game. When watching a trailer, take it with a grain of salt.
    Check out what I'm selling in ESO HERE!

    Interested in joining the MMO-Champion US guild? Whisper me in-game! @greevir

  11. #11

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by crawdaddy029 View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fe4j...layer_embedded

    best trailer ever for best game ever
    LMFAO; best post ever of the best trailer ever, for the best game ever.

  13. #13
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtM3PGyiQUc

    Well, this one actually created a lot of hype for me but thats because I want to cut up watermelons. It actually seems promising if you want to cut up watermelons.

  14. #14
    the wow trailers were nothing like what you got in game either. The wow vanilla trailer, the BC trailer ('you are NOT prepared!!') were really epic, and built the hype. Wotlk, Cata, not so much. And for MOP they did not even do a teaser...

    At the moment I'm having a blast with SWTOR. I was skeptical at first, and it's true that the game has shortcomings, but overall i'm enjoying it. And the trailers did help build the hype.

  15. #15
    It's kinda like movies trailers. Movie looks awesome, so you go to see it. Afterwards you realize you already saw the only good parts in the trailer.

  16. #16
    Over 9000! Glorious Leader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    In my bunker leading uprisings
    Posts
    9,407
    Quote Originally Posted by Greevir View Post
    Could not agree more. Really a beautiful trailer attached to such a horrible game. When watching a trailer, take it with a grain of salt.
    What was wrong with Dead Island? I enjoyed that game.

  17. #17
    Cinematic trailers should never, and will never represent the quality of a game. They're cinematic for a reason.

  18. #18
    This thread wouldn't bother me so much if it wasn't just another masked version of "Star Wars TOR is such a let down, who's with me?"

    Seriously, just quit.
    My Cracked articles, writing blog, and Twitter.

    The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

    Want to chat with people who aren't idiots? Join our IRC.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    This thread wouldn't bother me so much if it wasn't just another masked version of "Star Wars TOR is such a let down, who's with me?"

    Seriously, just quit.
    You're totally wrong. There are a number of things that I hate about this game but I play it and some aspects of it I have found incredibly enjoyable, some aspects I have repeatedly slammed my mouse and keyboard on my desk out of frustration.

    What I felt was in my opinion is the trailer for this title was just too damn good. Whereas, with WoW in Wrath the trailer was average to below average and yet the storyline line and eventual killing of LK was in my opinion pretty epic. The game for a first time player in 09 (WoW) was just awesome!! The game of SWTOR in some ways is amazing but it's not nearly as good as the trailers.

  20. #20
    Over 9000! Glorious Leader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    In my bunker leading uprisings
    Posts
    9,407
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellrae View Post
    You're totally wrong. There are a number of things that I hate about this game but I play it and some aspects of it I have found incredibly enjoyable, some aspects I have repeatedly slammed my mouse and keyboard on my desk out of frustration.

    What I felt was in my opinion is the trailer for this title was just too damn good. Whereas, with WoW in Wrath the trailer was average to below average and yet the storyline line and eventual killing of LK was in my opinion pretty epic. The game for a first time player in 09 (WoW) was just awesome!! The game of SWTOR in some ways is amazing but it's not nearly as good as the trailers.
    Really? I mean you watch the trailers and thought to yourself OMG IM GONNA FLY THROUGH THE AIR LIKE DARTH MALGUS... This is exactly what the poster you responded to said. A thinly veiled attempt to say you were disapointed by the game. That's fine. But to say you were disappointed because the cinematic trailer made you think THAT WAS ACTUALLY GONNA BE YOUR GAMEPLAY EXPERIENCE says more about you than it does about the game...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •