Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Chat - use it.

Makes all these things easy; I think as long as its discussed pre-drop; its fine. CrackerJack should list his character name so I can put him on ignore.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sephiracle View Post
    Hence why you ask the exact question in the subject line to the people you're running with. It's still much more appropriate to pose that question to who you're going to group with and not to a bunch of people you may never run into on an instance. What are you going to do if everyone here said, "yes of course it is." then you go to the instance and people are like "WTF man, you can't use that" when you need roll on it.
    Pff, I will assume the people I am in group with are strange and can be ignored, based on my statistics from a survey done on forums. I am not being entirely serious here, is that not the point of this thread?
    Players will no longer randomly suffer falling damage.

At the beginning I always say:

Need: if it is a upgrade for yourself
    Greed: if it is a upgrade for your companion
    Pass: if you don't need it

Quote Originally Posted by crakerjack View Post
    If you want it, need it... because you won't get it when you greed. Who cares if people want it too... no one actually needs anything in that game... they just want. So if you want, need it. Screw the other people, let them cry over losing some loot if they want to be babies.

This isn't WoW. You can't do whatever you want and know the consequences for your bad behaviour are only another LFD run/name change/server change/faction change away. If you play like that in SWtOR you will be guildess and friendless.

As most have said, all anyone needs to do is ask in the chat, if something drops that you want for your companion, or it's an orange piece that you like the look of, but is designed for another class, then just ask - if no one needs it, great, if they do, well tough luck, maybe you'll get lucky later, you might even have something else drop for you that's cool, don't be greedy and a dick and just take it anyway.

If my comp needs i always wait and see what the other people are doing... and then if no1 needs i ask and then need
    "Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable."
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."

General George S Patton

I wouldnt need on it unless others didn't need it at all and even then I have yet to do that so far. I know a lot of ppl need/greed on items just to snag the mods out of them, kinda silly imo since the cost to pull it out is more then the trade value of the same item in the GTN most of the time, but to each their own. Ask the ppl you run with or say something before had is the best bet and go from there.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Here are my thoughts :
    1 - At the begining of the instance ask the party members to pass on the items that they and their companions don't need , and those that have companions that need the items press greed ;
    2 - Ask in chat if you can roll on the item if one drops .

Deleted
    I'd say talk to your grp at the start of the FP about the loot rules for companions, as if everyone greeds on an item, that you then need on for your companion, people might feel pretty bad, as they prolly had a companion that could use the same item, but just greeded on it, because they didn't need it for their own character.

10+ Year Old Account
    Is it ok? No. People will bitch at you with 90% chance when you hit need on something, anything, even stuff you can use or that you needed only for the mods.
    So avoid the trouble, run with friends or dont bother needing.
    People take stupidity to a whole new level when they sit in front of a computer.

www.poepra2.com.br Um blog para quem prefere jogos multiplayer.

I've had no issues asking on a loot-by-loot basis, nor has anyone else in the instance. I usually see if anyone else is rolling on an item, then ask in chat "Is it okay if I need for companion?" So far, all the reactions have been "Yeah, go for it." Honestly, if people don't need it for themselves, they don't really care that much as long as you let them know why a clothie is rolling on tank loot.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowkras View Post
    Is it ok? No. People will bitch at you with 90% chance when you hit need on something, anything, even stuff you can use or that you needed only for the mods.
    So avoid the trouble, run with friends or dont bother needing.
    Yeah, it's sooooooo difficult to not be greedy. It's sooooo difficult to just say, "If no one needs this, can I take it for my companion/pet/etc?"

Quote Originally Posted by crakerjack View Post
    If you want it, need it... because you won't get it when you greed. Who cares if people want it too... no one actually needs anything in that game... they just want. So if you want, need it. Screw the other people, let them cry over losing some loot if they want to be babies.
    Thank god for no cross server LFD system. This is exactly why, people like this will find themselves on plenty of ignore lists pretty soon. And any guild he's in will get a bad rep aswell.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisisvacant View Post
    Yeah, it's sooooooo difficult to not be greedy. It's sooooo difficult to just say, "If no one needs this, can I take it for my companion/pet/etc?"
    greed is the need button for companion items.its bit unfair if all ppl greeded and then u say i need the item for companion while the other ppl need the gear for their companion aswell but just pressed greed cuz to prevent ninja if some1 actually needs the item.

I usually hit greed by default but if you want to go by loot rules that are different from "normal" then as other people have suggested ask beforehand and you'll find out if the group cares or not.

Deleted
    If someone needs it for himself, let him have it, otherwise its OK to roll for companion i think

If nobody needs it for their main, I need for companion, seems reasonable.

If you are unsure/worried about loot rules, ask.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

How our guild does it is simple: you roll need for yourself and greed for companions. If there's something you're particularly hoping for, you can ask to need on it when it comes up, if someone with that class doesn't need it. *shrug* Simple and works.

Deleted
    Ask the group if they are ok with it, and it goes without saying player gear takes precedence.

i always ask before i roll. its just common courtesy
    Tell them that the Lich King is dead...and the World of Warcraft...died with him.