Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by steveyboy View Post
    Why are you so greedy? All men should be treated the same and all have the same.
    then you should give all your shit away if you truly feel this way. No? I didn't think so I'm not down with living in a shack and shitting in a hole in the ground.

You are incorrect, Aekya. You are blaming "the rich". But bringing East and West Germany together forced taxes higher in West Germany and had messy implications for the entire West German economy. Everybody shouldered the burden. It was not a pain limited to "the rich", it was a pain sustained across the board. And, as I said, it required intense political will.

You can say all you want that there is enough excess capacity to unite the world. You have the advantage of talking about a hypothetical case, a case where we've dropped "our economical [sic] system, our political system" in the fanciful hope that it will turn out okay. But look at East and West Germany. Look at the studies of the Korean peninsula. There we have actual numbers about the costs. It WILL break your fantasy.

And Germany had all the goodwill in the world! Now let's take it a step further. Let's assume that, say, Chile-- a country with a reasonably developed economy and sizable middle-class-- is proposing political unification with, say, Nepal. How would you pitch that to Chile? What commonalities do Chile and Nepal have? What motivation would Chile have to pursue the merger? Oh, and it's guaranteed to impose backbreaking economic hardships on Chile to finance the unification. I think you'll agree it's impossible to sell that.

Sound silly? Well, that's exactly what you're proposing-- but writ world-wide. World-wide political unification is that scenario hundreds of times over. THAT is one reason why world unification is impossible. Because the costs are extraordinary and guaranteed, the benefits dubious and ephemeral, and the will absent. You can blame the rich all you want. But if you want unification, it's the people you have to convince-- and the people don't buy it.

oh man I cant believe people are so fucked in the head to think one world gov is a good idea. I guess those people are the same ones that think the world is all butterflys and rainbows and we should all live in peace and harmony LOL. Sorry but human nature just wont let that happen. And yea there no way I'm giving up my standard of living. Tho the UN is trying to fix that...

the un is a dangerous organization

10+ Year Old Account
    My thought on this is that eventually it is going to happen, but it wont happen over night. It would have to start with some form of large tight military and economical alliance between many large countries. Eventually more and more countries would join this alliance, because of the safety and economical stability it generated. European Union is sort of similar to this, but it would have to luck out and be started in the beginning of a long period of economic growth in the membership countries.

It would not be run by a president, but probably a "prime minister" and political representatives from each country. The world goverment would make the big decitions, while each country got to run themselves in regards to many things. Perhaps similar to how it works in the US with the states, only with a bit more freedom allowed to the individual countries.

IF it happens its still hundreds of years into the future, since we would have for the inevitable decline of religion. We would also need to solve the resource issue, perhaps a good start would be to come up with technology for safe and clean unlimited energy. Another thing that would help ALOT is the technology to bring in external metals and stone for building. Mining asteroids, the moon and mars for example. Lastly we would need to better use the earth to grow plentifull food. We would essentially have to eliminate all the major sources of conflict, religion, energy, food and wealth of resources.
    Cerunnir - Frost/Blood Death Knight

Deleted
    One small group of people to lead all of human kind.

Sounds like a plan with no flaws!

Quote Originally Posted by Diurdi View Post
    One small group of people to lead all of human kind.

Sounds like a plan with no flaws!
    Why would it have to be a small group? Also, a world government could work. Not right now, of course, but it could definitely work somewhere down the road when we've solved issues like feeding and housing everybody, etc.

There are too many subcultures and communities, people with different views. Putting it all under 1 world government just doesnt work. It's like when you decide pizza is the same as a vegetable, it just isnt.

OOPS I accidentally american imperialism circa 1993.

Why are you so greedy? All men should be treated the same and all have the same.
    Just Kidding right?

Why do people fear this so much?

I know its a conspiracy so to speak. But shouldn't the world be uniting not forcing itself apart. Scotland wanting independance is completely stupid and is going back not forward.

What are your thoughts?
    Thanks for the insult, I guess it's the same as quebeckers in Canada, they are surrounded by 400 millions english so they should stop being themselves?

Stop being so proud, the world is complex.

10+ Year Old Account
    One group of people controlling the world would result in unimaginable corruption and hell!

10+ Year Old Account
    The world is far too large to be controlled by one organization. There's a reason why countries that spread themselves too far end up crumbling under their own weight. Although, that's assuming there would be a nation, or group of nations, that would try and seize the entire world through military force. And I really doubt that you would be able to get every nation to agree to the same laws. They're not a universal constant. Laws that are acceptable in once society might not be acceptable in another.

Other countries have other idea's for governments. Hence no one will co-operate leading to countries rebelling and forming there own governments.
    FT for life <3

Just like communism could never work because people are evile and greedy, this would never work either :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Scientists classified what civilizations need to do to be considered type 1, type 2 or a type 3 civilization, type 3 being as advanced as it could possibly get.
    Right now we are a type 0, or in other words don't even register on the scale, to become type 1 one of the things that will be needed is one world government, but we're a long way off that, and I mean a LONNNG way. But give the world time and it will happen, maybe in 200 years, maybe in 2000 years, but we'll get there.

The other thing that would be needed would be complete planetary control, what I mean by this is being able to harness all the naturally occurring renewable power sources and being able to build cities in the water, thus ending any and all over population worries, pollution worries or the fear of running out of power etc.

If you dont want the world uniting it shows you do not see other peoples from different countries as equals.
    Okay that's your opinion man...

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Governments are already way too big. Atleast in America anyways. Religion and government have been the biggest downfall to mankind. Who in their right mind would want a One World Government? That means whatever they say, goes. You have no choices, you have no other options, you are controlled by a single force who dictates everyone else.

Personally I'd say anyone who actually wants a One World Government should just shoot themselves

10+ Year Old Account
    Unless mind control is an option, this can't physically happen.