Getting a Nintendo DS to connect online

Ok, so here's the long version shortened...I have a DS (and DSi). I want to play online, BUT we use WPA encryption in my house for the router, a D-Link 615. Which Nintendo, in all their retarded glory, won't allow DS games to play though online, and we're not switching to a lesser encryption since we have gotten hacked before using WEP on a prior router some years ago. And messing with it just tends to screw up every other electronic device we have that's fine with WPA.

To give you an ideal of what did work and what doesn't work in the past, a long time ago I had/used that old Nintendo USB connector thing (official licensed one), but it was extremely unreliable, often cut out, and never worked once we got our D-Link 615 router anyways (currently I think it's broke after smashing it in the wall too many times over a dropped connection). Not to mention the laptop I now have runs 64 bit Vista, which is incompatible with it anyways (back then when I got the USB connector to occasionally work, I had an older laptop with XP). My old phat DS can't do anything at all in trying to get online to play, while I can access the internet browser and Nintendo store with my DSi (since that part does support WPA), but can't play games online over WFC still because Nintendo in all their stupidity still has the games encoded or whatever to only work over WEP or no security.

So, what are some suggestions for workarounds to this? Are there other products out there like the Nintendo USB connector that can put up whatever signal so I can connect with a DS to play online? Or is there anything else I can use? If anyone has any ideals or suggestions at all, please let me know. Thanks.
    Last edited by Shinryu; 2012-01-28 at 01:42 AM.

Deleted
    tbh according to ACTA by even speaking of this stuff, you violate the copyright that microsoft(?) put in regarding their xbox live service.

Please stay on topic. Trying to derail it by starting a completely different discussion isn't cool. Infracted. -Edge
    Last edited by Edge-; 2012-01-28 at 12:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chonaire View Post
    tbh according to ACTA by even speaking of this stuff, you violate the copyright that microsoft(?) put in regarding their xbox live service.
    ...but I'm not even talking about Xbox Live, I'm talking about the Nintendo DS? Hell my 360 works fucking fine just connecting it with an Ethernet cable for that matter, and it doesn't mind WPA encryption to play online.

And I'm not looking for like ways to hack or anything at any rate, I'm just wondering if there's anything like 3rd party usb connectors like the Nintendo one that will do the same thing, if I can use my laptop to do something like send out a non-encrypted wireless signal to get it to work, maybe buying a cheap other router to hook up to my laptop to get the DS online? I dunno, but I really would like to be able to play online again with my DS lol.
    Last edited by Shinryu; 2012-01-28 at 12:42 AM.

The DS has crap wireless. It's super frustrating but it's true. The only way I found to get my DS connected to my router without compromising on security was to turn on MAC filtering on the router.

10+ Year Old Account
    Buy a second wireless router. Run it in access point mode, or if it don't have one then just disable dhcp and assign it a unique ip address.
    Connect your devices to that and pull the plug when not using them. There are other more secure solutions but they will cost you butt loads of cash.

Deleted
    Was hard to get DS into internet, but then i got 3ds and all happy. Tho from regular ds games what i have only pokemon black works with WPA. all 3ds games work tho in internet. that have support for it that is.

Edited the title for slightly better clarity, just realized a lot of people were probably thinking DS = Dragon Soul even though this isn't in one of the WoW subforums lol...

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei_Sin View Post
    The DS has crap wireless. It's super frustrating but it's true. The only way I found to get my DS connected to my router without compromising on security was to turn on MAC filtering on the router.
    Don't remind me on how bad it is, it was probably using outdated tech before it even came out...

Quote Originally Posted by lockblock View Post
    Buy a second wireless router. Run it in access point mode, or if it don't have one then just disable dhcp and assign it a unique ip address.
    Connect your devices to that and pull the plug when not using them. There are other more secure solutions but they will cost you butt loads of cash.
    So I would be able to find some cheap router on ebay with access point mode, load it onto my laptop, then just plug it in whenever I want to use it? I won't lie, I'm not that great with the networking stuff, but that's the basic gist I guess? It wouldn't interfere with the primary router that I connect on with my laptop and stuff? Because I don't wanna mess with the router already connected to our modem.

10+ Year Old Account
    Routers are so cheap as is I wouldn't bother trying to save a buck buying used shit.
    In short you will hook it up directly to your old router lan port<=>lan port but only after the new one has dhcp disabled + its ip address set to something that no other devices on your network use or access point mode if available.

10+ Year Old Account
    You could give this Nintendo WiFi dongle a shot.

http://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-Wi-Fi.../dp/B000CBWQUY

Quote Originally Posted by lazymangaka View Post
    You could give this Nintendo WiFi dongle a shot.

http://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-Wi-Fi.../dp/B000CBWQUY
    That's the piece of junk one I had and used before. But it's incompatible with 64 bit systems at any rate, and mine's using 64 bit Vista.

Get this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833315089

You can connect it to any computer and turn on the SoftAP function, which is basically turning the card into a wireless router. Enable MAC address filtering on it and add your DS's MAC Address to the allowed list and that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei_Sin View Post
    Get this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833315089

You can connect it to any computer and turn on the SoftAP function, which is basically turning the card into a wireless router. Enable MAC address filtering on it and add your DS's MAC Address to the allowed list and that's it.
    Thanks for the recommendation, I'll look into it. $20 ain't bad considering how much that USB connector originally cost me $10 more lol.

You're welcome. I actually have one of those myself. I got it to hook up my brother's PS3 via wireless since he couldn't get a signal from the router in his room. That tiny little thing runs flawlessly.

The shittiest part is even if you have a 3DS, the old normal DS games still wont work outside of using a WEP key. Was horribly disappointed to find that out since a friend I play games with is using WPA and cant play old DS games with me anymore. Luckily I live in the middle of nowhere with no one anywhere near being close enough to mooch off my net, so I don't worry much about securing mine.

OT though, Sensei's answer looks like a winner to me. Cheap and you can use it in a way where people cant mooch off you, winnar.