Poll: Do you favor Puerto Rico 51st Statehood?

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Angel25 View Post
    Mitt Romney is the only candidate to step up, and endorse Puerto Rico as the 51st State!
    I don't really think he would or could make Puerto Rico a state if he won the Presidency. I just think Luis Fortuno is endorsing Romney because he has the highest chance of becoming the Republican Presidential Candidate.

I think Obama will beat Romney in any case. Also Barack Obama said he was going to help us solve our Status problem but in the end did nothing except tell us it's up to us to decide our future.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by the_fallen View Post
    I don't really think he would or could make Puerto Rico a state if he won the Presidency. I just think Luis Fortuno is endorsing Romney because he has the highest chance of becoming the Republican Presidential Candidate.

I think Obama will beat Romney in any case. Also Barack Obama said he was going to help us solve our Status problem but in the end did nothing except tell us it's up to us to decide our future.
    Obama did the worst thing he could do when he went to Puerto Rico, he met with AGP, and the PPD, and we all know they don't want change.

I seriously doubt Obama will win the election, for a couple of reasons.

1. His best weapon is Hollywood and people are sick and tired of celebrities, especially the ones from Hollywood.
    2. In 2008 if you didn't vote for Obama you were a racist, that will not be flying again, on the count that people now have an excuse. ( He has done a shitty job)
    3. The majority of Latinos will back Romney if he chooses Marco Rubio as VP. ( Not to mention that Hispanics have been actually rising on the GOP side more then, on Democrats side.)

I suppose there are others reasons too, but I think those are quite important.
    Case: Thermaltake A60
    MB: ASRock Z68 Ext3 Gen3
    CPU: i5 2500k, Windows 8.1 64 Bit
    GPU: HIS 6870 1gb
    PSU: Corsair GS 600
    SSD: Crucial M4 128g

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by skatblast View Post
    They are pretty much a state considering all the support they get from america, i guess you could say the same about alot of countries
    No not really. Ever heard of Taxation without Representation?

Yes they absolutely deserve statehood.

10+ Year Old Account
    Obama did the worst thing he could do when he went to Puerto Rico, he met with AGP, and the PPD, and we all know they don't want change.
    Quite true about them. I hate the fact that they still say everything is fine and the Commonwealth crap is working when it's not. I still don't know if to vote for Independence or Statehood, I would like to see Puerto Rico become and independent nation just like the rest of Latin America but the Politicians we have right now are pretty corrupt. Plus they are pretty much a left wing like me while the Pro-Statehood are center right. While if we were to become a state I bet they would be more controlled instead of doing what they want.
    Last edited by Tragedia; 2012-01-29 at 11:53 PM.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quite true about them. I hate the fact that they still say everything is fine and the Commonwealth crap is working when it's not. I still don't know if to vote for Independence or Statehood, I would like to see Puerto Rico become and independent nation just like the rest of Latin America but the Politicians we have right now are pretty corrupt. Plus they are pretty much a left wing like me while the Pro-Statehood are center right. While if we were to become a state I bet they would be more controlled instead of doing what they want.
    I support either Independency or Statehood!

But I prefer Statehood, I think that having a voice in congress will give us more freedom, and in fact it may even give more freedom to other states.

But that been said, Independency is quite honorable, but unfortunetaly the PIP, has no experince in anything really! lol

So voting for PIP,may be quite dangerous.

Actually in 2008 there was a new party call Puertoriquenos por Puerto Rico, and to me it was more appeling than the current PIP.

---------- Post added 2012-01-30 at 12:06 AM ----------

Also one of the things i admire from Gov. Luis Fortuno, is the fact he doesn't care if you are from his own party, if you are corrupt, and are doing something wrong, you are out! Under his administration so many corrupted people has been caught, I think congress, and states, should take note of that, I mean I know it hurts the party, but in the end, it's the right thing to do!
    Last edited by Angel25; 2012-01-30 at 12:07 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I support either Independency or Statehood!

But I prefer Statehood, I think that having a voice in congress will give us more freedom, and in fact it may even give more freedom to other states.
    Having a voice and a vote! It's funny because when we were a Spanish colony with the reforms and such we had more freedom that right now. Back then we had both voice and vote while we have only voice now. And it is rarely heard.

I just hope that if we get Statehood we don't forget who we are.

There is a lot of confusion in the people about our identity. Are we Spanish? Are we Taino? Are we African? Or, are we American?

---------- Post added 2012-01-30 at 12:22 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Angel25
    Also one of the things i admire from Gov. Luis Fortuno, is the fact he doesn't care if you are from his own party, if you are corrupt, and are doing something wrong, you are out! Under his administration so many corrupted people has been caught, I think congress, and states, should take note of that, I mean I know it hurts the party, but in the end, it's the right thing to do!
    I don't like the fact that the people he put in charge of the University is trying to privatize it. It should stay as a public University for the use of the Puerto Rican people.
    Last edited by Tragedia; 2012-01-30 at 12:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Twiddly View Post
    Just what we need, another "Always democrat" state like the district of columbia...seems fair, right?
    So statehood should be granted on the basis as to whether or not the population conforms to a specific political ideology? Right..................
    “Logic: The art of thinking and reasoning in strict accordance with the limitations and incapacities of the human misunderstanding.”
    "Conservative, n: A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal who wishes to replace them with others."
    Ambrose Bierce
    The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings To Make Me Tame.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Having a voice and a vote! It's funny because when we were a Spanish colony with the reforms and such we had more freedom that right now. Back then we had both voice and vote while we have only voice now. And it is rarely heard.

I just hope that if we get Statehood we don't forget who we are.

There is a lot of confusion in the people about our identity. Are we Spanish? Are we Taino? Are we African? Or, are we American?

---------- Post added 2012-01-30 at 12:22 AM ----------

I don't like the fact that the people he put in charge of the University is trying to privatize it. It should stay as a public University for the use of the Puerto Rican people.
    I think we are multi cultural, and I think that is one of the reasons why kind of set us apart from the rest of Latin America. We are Puerto Ricans, We are Americans. But our tree of Heritage, is basically all you mentioned. Remeber Benicio Del Toro, Ricky Martin, and Luis Fortuno, they all have heritage in Spain,
    same with Joaquin Phoenix he may have been born in PR, but he got heritage elsewhere.

I myslef i'm not to sure of my family entire history, i know the parents of my parents and so their parents where from PR, and I was born in PR.

I think you are talking about UPR, and yes I agree that staying as public school will be good, because it will keep cost of tuition down to a minimum, but remember this, if UPR, is having a low tuition, yet it has amazing Teachers, those amazing teachers are getting paid a lot of money for teaching, and since tuition is so low, the Government, has either increase taxes on the people,( Including Privatized colleges) or cut from budgets such as equipment, labs, computers, etc... so it can pay for those teachers salaries, benefits, etc...

So while a Public school is great because of the cost of tuition, an the Privatized may have a higher tuition, in the end it will probably be more fair for every student in PR, that is not at UPR.

Cause remeber Private schools need funding and they have to get thru there students and if the government is taking a big chunk out of there budgets, then they have to increase tuition to there students, in order to have the best teachers, equipment, etc...( In the end there really is no one that can compete against the Government)

This is one of the reasons why I like smaller Governments, I think we should lv the plainfield for everyone. I mean is not like, just because you attend Sagrado Corazon, means you are rich, it just means, that you study hard to be accepted at such prestige school.
    Last edited by Angel25; 2012-01-30 at 12:44 AM.