Deleted

Random freezing, Windows 7

Hi.

For the past 4 months or so my PC has been freezing randomly. It can freeze from a fresh reboot and nothing being done, or in any other situation.

Since then I've tested my ram with running memtest over night, stress tested CPU, Ram, GPU and the HDD. I also tested the HDD for faults with SeaTools. So far nothing has shown anything out of the usual. I have another HDD with linux installed on it and I went a whole day on that OS doing pretty much the same things I do on Windows (some browsing and WoW) and it never froze. I've also reinstalled Windows after the crashes started happening.

With the randomness of the freezing, it's almost impossible to test what might be causing it as there is nothing I can reproduce. The Windows error log has not shown anything either, just the warning on boot that the system had previously not shutdown properly. Until now...

Code:
    Information 28.1.2012 11:57:56
    The Windows Search Service started.
    Code:
    Warning 28.1.2012 11:57:56
    The content source <csc://{S-1-5-21-2584147410-2087290071-520476546-1001}/> cannot be accessed.
    That is the last event in the log before a gap of 2 minutes (reboot).
    To me that looks like a HDD problem. Any ideas?

I'm not a windows guru by any means, but freezes are usually caused by memory, but as you already said you did a memtest.

I would still suggest trying to generate the same problem but this time switch the position of your ram sticks.

Have you tried disabling indexing?

You should try to do a Disk Check and try to see if this problem is generated when you're running in Safe Mode.

I remember my friend having a problem with her computer freezing and it was McAfee anti virus freezing her computer.

I'd put money on it being drivers. Update all of your drivers including sound cards, network cards, etc.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Obsession View Post
    I'd put money on it being drivers. Update all of your drivers including sound cards, network cards, etc.
    I don't know how it would suddenly start due to dated drivers after the PC had worked fine for more than a year before the freezes started.
    I think all my drivers are as up to date as can be also :/

Deleted
    click on start and type "indexing options" you should find it , remove the IE history from there ( click on modify ).
    Click advanced and click rebuild .... it should take some time.

Check if it still happens. I'm not sure it will fix it ... but I guess it can't make any harm.

It seems Windows search is having a problem with the Client Side Cache ( offline folders ) ... maybe disabling Windows search ... but that wouldn't be a fix..
    Also if you want , disabling Indexing service may fix it ....
    I'm shooting @ the dark here :P
    Last edited by mmocda69302ff9; 2012-01-28 at 11:07 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Freetobe View Post
    click on start and type "indexing options" you should find it , remove the IE history from there ( click on modify ).
    Click advanced and click rebuild .... it should take some time.

Check if it still happens. I'm not sure it will fix it ... but I guess it can't make any harm.

It seems Windows search is having a problem with the Client Side Cache ( offline folders ) ... maybe disabling Windows search ... but that wouldn't be a fix..
    Also if you want , disabling Indexing service may fix it ....
    I'm shooting @ the dark here :P
    I'll give those a shot, thanks.