Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account

Operative or Assassin for ganking people out in the world?

Which would you suggest for sneaking around republic quest areas to pick off people leveling? Yeah its a dick move I know but think its fun and while I like warzone's I don't want to do just that. So if I am going to pick one of the 2 stealth classes I want to pick the best one for the job. Suggestions?

Don't bother, you're not going to be able to get the drop on leveling player characters out in the world. With only a couple of exceptions, shared planets are instanced.

Operative - Stun opener with high damage, high damage skill vs. stunned oponents, then something to finish them off if even needed.

Assassin doesn't even come close.

10+ Year Old Account
    ops are getting a nurf stick but its true assasins are more dragged out dps

Well personally I play an Assassin, and nearly no one can beat me in a 1v1, besides maybe a jugg...

Quote Originally Posted by Tankingtype View Post
    Well personally I play an Assassin, and nearly no one can beat me in a 1v1, besides maybe a jugg...
    And if the operative is any good you're dead before you can break the opening stun.
    “Logic: The art of thinking and reasoning in strict accordance with the limitations and incapacities of the human misunderstanding.”
    "Conservative, n: A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal who wishes to replace them with others."
    Ambrose Bierce
    The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings To Make Me Tame.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalantia View Post
    Don't bother, you're not going to be able to get the drop on leveling player characters out in the world. With only a couple of exceptions, shared planets are instanced.
    Yeah I've just realized that on one of the planets, the main story of my Republic char leads to a military base owned by the imperials. They got their various mobs: driods, generals, gunmen, etc. The quests involved bringing down the base's shields and capturing it.

It was VERY surprising to me that when I was leveling my first Imperial (an operative) char... THAT BASE is our starting quest hub!! All the NPCs I saw on my republic char were missing, and were apparently replaced by quest-givers and the place was full of leveling Imps.

I don't know if that base is "phased", or if the entire planet is instanced separately for Imps and Reps.

I was so disappointed though.

Quote Originally Posted by shimerra View Post
    And if the operative is any good you're dead before you can break the opening stun.
    Shows pure skill I bet.

The entire planet is instanced separately, I believe, probably due to people like the OP.

Hoth and Nar Shaddaa are the only (leveling) planets I've seen Imperials on, as a Republic character, and Nar Shaddaa only has overlap in a Sanctuary zone, while Hoth only has overlap very late in the Republic questline. Other planets before then? No overlap.

Deleted
    The ancient machine room on Tattooine is also shared between imp/rep.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by shimerra View Post
    It doesn't work like that vs geared people, there is no way you can burst 15k+ hp in 3sec opener stun even if you are full epic and everything crits. It worked vs lvl 10 targets but any other dps class could also burst them as fast. It's actually ridiculously easy to kite an operative by any class that has a knockback.

The only places you will see the enemy faction really is Voss and Ilum. You can also encounter them on Tatooine and Hoth if you go looking for them but you are at different ends of the map so don't really cross over much. The other world are faction specific and you don't see the other faction at all.

In fact, in the whole time levelling my sage the only time an enemy player came after me was in Voss-Ka city. I've gone after a few enemies myself though.

I have seen (and killed) Imps on Tattoine, just out in the open desert, quite a few times. So I assume that entire planet is shared. When I rolled my Imp though, I realzed how the maps works, and that you really do have to go out of your way to find yourself in the opposing factions quest zones sometimes.

Yeah, the world pvp on Tatt is pretty fun, I personally had a ball leveling there.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lasica View Post
    The only places you will see the enemy faction really is Voss and Ilum. You can also encounter them on Tatooine and Hoth if you go looking for them but you are at different ends of the map so don't really cross over much. The other world are faction specific and you don't see the other faction at all.

In fact, in the whole time levelling my sage the only time an enemy player came after me was in Voss-Ka city. I've gone after a few enemies myself though.
    The only places you WON'T see opposite faction for sure are Taris and Balmora since Taris is 16-20 for republic, 32-36 for empire; Balmora is 16-20 for empire and 32-36 for republic. Therefore, both of them are instanced faction-specific for obvious reasons.

Nar Shadaa, Tatooine, Alderan, Hoth, Belsavis, Voss and Illum are all places where I have seen/fought opposite faction players.

Contrary to popular belief, Ops dont win 1v1. Unless they're attacking a low level, and stacking all sorts of buffs.

Since the biochem changes and the 50s only bracket, Ops no longer kill people during the stun. Once you trinket and create a gap, you win. The Ops can never get to you, just run away and throw whatever ranged dmg you have on them.

Imo, sorc/sage would be a better 'ganker'. They have everything. High dmg, heals, lots of CC, crazy mobility.

The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tankingtype View Post
    Yeah, the world pvp on Tatt is pretty fun, I personally had a ball leveling there.
    I saw 2 or 3 republic there lol. How far must I travel to reach the rebel section? How do I go about getting there?

I found most of them while looking for datacrons. So maybe seek them out, and keel some people!

people would be so pissed off to get knocked off the balloon i bet.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazertrooper View Post
    people would be so pissed off to get knocked off the balloon i bet.
    Well if you had the patience it would be much better to sit on top of the sandcrawler and kill them there.