Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    No.

End game is terrible right now. Aside from being incredibly bugged and broken it's just plain easy and boring. The only difference between normal mode, hard mode, and nightmare mode is that the bosses hit harder and have more health. No new mechanics are introduced, but there are more bugs on harder difficulties.

PVP is a mess.
    I certainly have to agree. Still had fun though.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Atrahasis View Post
    Well you failed quite terribly with your example since crafting removed the need for you to actually be online or do the task yourself or even limit yourself to crafting or upgrading one skill at a time or be in front of a forge/anvil.

Will you come up with next?
    We could sit here arguing all day about stuff like this, but I won't since you'll STILL defend TOR till its down to 10k subs and free to play.

Alright lets say this companion crafting is oh so "innovative", it's for the wrong reasons. Even MORE reason to never move from the ship to collect gathering materials and explore the planets. Sure you'll go to Ilum to do your daily. But then you're back to the ship wondering why you're paying a monthly fee to play a series of load screens and corridors.

Does it innovate in any other areas that actually matter? PvE, PvP, Levelling? (say voice over I dare you)
    Last edited by mmoc3784f78918; 2012-01-28 at 07:26 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blimey View Post
    We could sit here arguing all day about stuff like this, but I won't since you'll STILL defend TOR till its down to 10k subs and free to play.

Alright lets say this companion crafting is oh so "innovative", it's for the wrong reasons even MORE reason to never move from the ship to collect gathering materials and explore the planets. Sure you'll go to Ilum to do your daily. But then you're back to the ship wondering why you're paying a monthly fee to play a series of load screens and corridors.
    I'm not defending TOR, I'm de constructing you. Big difference. I could just as easily say theirs no sense in arguing with you since you'll still be mad at TOR no matter what, even if the game is a massive success. Cool prediction though. As usual no evidence is offered. Just randomly spouting whatever. Plenty of stuff to do at 50, PVE wise at any rate. More coming on the way.

But I thought you weren't gonna argue anymore since I'll still defend TOR anyway? What happened? I do think the story and VO is innovative and I fully expect to see more mmos in the future to do this as well. Maybe not to the extent that SWTOR has cetainly to some degree. Legacy will also be innovative as well. Their idea behind the family of characters sounds really neat. Can't wait to see what they have in store for it.
    Last edited by Glorious Leader; 2012-01-28 at 07:30 PM.

Pandaren Monk
    15+ Year Old Account
    If you're looking for something totally different from WoW then my answer would be no. If you're just looking for a really good game that is very similar to WoW I'd say yes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blimey View Post

Alright lets say this companion crafting is oh so "innovative", it's for the wrong reasons. Even MORE reason to never move from the ship to collect gathering materials and explore the planets. Sure you'll go to Ilum to do your daily. But then you're back to the ship wondering why you're paying a monthly fee to play a series of load screens and corridors.
    Got a camp 2 member here.

Here's the deal in my estimation: if you like Bioware games, particularly KoTOR, and you like traditional, WoW-style MMOs, then SWTOR is almost definitely worth the price of admission. Whether or not it is worth a continuing subscription to YOU is hard for anybody to say. Clearly, there are some very divided opinions on how good the game is over the long term. But, they're just that. Opinions. I can tell you that this is one of 3 MMOs that I've actually paid for after the free month is over, with the other two being WoW and Everquest.

Do NOT buy the game if any of the following apply to you:

1. You don't like Bioware games. This is a Bioware game and it really feels like it.

2. You're expecting something really different from WoW. This is not different from WoW at all. There are some little innovations here and there, but there are also some throwbacks to stuff that WoW has eliminated.

3. Bugs and performance problems drive you crazy. This may sound silly, but some people get a lot more upset about bugs than others. Personally, I've been playing computer games since I was a wee lad in the 90s, so I remember when things would just stop working for no reason. As such, bugs below the repeated crash threshold don't really bother me. Some people stroke-out over the fact that weapons sometimes keep firing after the target is dead and the guns are holstered. If you fall into category 2, save yourself and the interwebs some aggravation and just skip it.
    Last edited by Beavis; 2012-01-28 at 07:54 PM.

I was hooked on it for the past month. Loved every minute, made a bunch of characters, etc. Then my favorite character hit lv50 just the other day...now I have no idea what to do and switched back to WoW. It's a great single player game, but imho I'm a bit clueless at lv50 now. The game kinda just died for me

yeah i think buying it and leveling one or more characters to 50 could be fun, but if you are going to stay subbed is purely up to your opinion.

Deleted
    Is it worth buying?
    - if you like the Star Wars universe
    - if you like the Mass Effect, Dragon Age games from Bioware
    - if you like long, complex story arcs and movie-like plots where YOU are the hero
    then it is a definite yes.

I was originally skeptic about SWTOR as I did not like the animations and the stick like characters, and doubtful about combats where you swing your lightsabers 10 times and your opponent is still standing... but then I realised that I've been already bashing deathwing for one full month, only playing my toon for raid nights, and the thought of bashing deathwing for ten more months with nothing else to do completely overwhelmed me. Adding to the fact that I totally despise Idiotcrawler and his utter incompetence, I could not foresee any good coming out of MOP. That's when I told myself: can it be worse than what I'm doing now, logging in wow just to stand idle and twiddle my thumbs and chat? So I bought SWTOR and gave it a try.

It's been a blast so far, it reminds me so much of what Wow used to be for me, hours of fun. It's been more than a month now and I'm not even 50 yet. I'm taking my time, trying different classes and experiencing different storylines. Even the same quests do not feel the same because the dialogues options are different, the NPCs do not treat you the same whether you're a sith lord or an alien bounty hunter... and your companions also add a lot of flavor.

Of course there are bugs, but I'm having fun right now, so that's what is important for me.

Deleted
    ooh well, where to start, okay now i know.
    if u play wow (lets say you do) and u like to read up on EVERYTHING on the internet, cant do anything yourself, no offense but loads of ppl dont bother putting effort into the game themself, so u check up everything on the internet, then dont start on SWTOR yet, w8 another 4-6 months or so, and then check how many subscribers there are, the game already lost loads of subscribers compared to how many who plays it. but yeah all said and done. but SWTOR or aKa TORtanic is not gonna last, its gonna end up like all other mmo's, losing subscribers and after a year or 2 they will go f2p, i personally just started playing rift again, and trion RLY knows how to release content, i started back the day it got released, reached level 50 but i had no1 to play with (no irl mates playing the game) so i went back to wow, and i just started again after what, 6-7 months break, and the game is great, its not for retards, its a hard game tbh, compared to SWTOR, wow (its like vanilla / tbc) but well all in all, if u want to try a new MMO i think u should try rift if u dont alrdy have. the game should have more subscribers, TRION lost alot of subs when BF3, MW3 and swtor got released but ppl are comming back, ppl seems to leave SWTOR atm to play rift due to buggy stuff, lack of content, and just in general, the skillcap of the game is soooooo low. but again, this is just an opinion! but choose wisely,

IMHO it's not worth the money.

Im in the same boat you are in, and thought SWTOR would be a good way to pass the time until (in my case) D3 comes out.

I played a character up to level 26, then didn't log for a week or two. When i sat down and thought about what i got for my money i was rather dissapointed, and obviously the subscription fee didnt make it any better. Canceled my subscription and sitting here now feeling robbed, because as it turned out its a tedious and repetitive game.

10+ Year Old Account
    I thought swtor would be a good way to pass the time and it was! Good news.

If you have no friends that are playing it and buying it just for the game part, no.
    The customer service is horrendous

no wait til it goes f2p

game is horrible

pvp sucks

15+ Year Old Account
    Definitly, when i was leveling i thought when i would be 50 an endgame would suck, it was even/still worth the money.

And let me tell u, endgame doesnt suck at all .. its all there .. warzones (bg) .. operations (raids).

Beter graphics, altough the engine might be litte bit buggy.
    Last edited by Azerox; 2012-01-28 at 09:16 PM.
    That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange Aeons even Death may die.

Deleted
    Having finally dragged myself to 50 (not because the levelling is boring but because I can never keep to one game at a time, nevermind having the time to play in the first place) I have this to say about this game:
    Story = Best I've seen in a MMO, trumphs even GW1s story by miles upon miles and I loved the story in that game. The story in this game is better than in most single player AAA RPGs, though not ME/DA quality, yet.
    Levelling = Not the best I have seen. The story gives it context but it is still bare bones kill this kill that gather that go there. I don't like it and never have, really. But if you can see past that and simply think "I just want to see how the story unfolds" it becomes more than bearable - quite enjoyable in fact.
    Combat = Again not the best I have seen. WoW's combat was more fluid (but less colorful and exciting) for example.
    Flashpoints = Most of them are really good, and there are many of them too.
    PvP = Leaves alot to be desired. The gear grind is unforgiving as hell as it is mostly luck based, there is an abundance of certain classes making one of the three Warzones a ping-pong-fest and the lack of combat fluidity and lagg in Warzones (lagg to a degree I never experience elsewhere in the game) is nearly unbearable at this stage.

Still, I'll recommend you to buy the game despite its shortcomings. It will only get better from here as BioWare's patching policy has clearly shown.

I think it's worth buying. Is it worth subscribing to? Well that's a different story.

Quote Originally Posted by Atrahasis View Post
    I'm not defending TOR......
    Really dude?

I like to lurk in here occasionally, yet even in that limited exposure instantly recognize that little baby wookie avatar as the self appointed defender of SWTOR on MMO. like very single thread...

Though to be fair, I also recognize Blimey and that comical dog avatar as as pretty much the opposite..
    Last edited by Sprucelee; 2012-01-28 at 09:00 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sprucelee View Post
    Really dude?

I like to lurk in here occasionally, yet even in that limited exposure instantly recognize that little baby wookie avatar as the self appointed defender of SWTOR on MMO. like very single thread...

Though to be fair, I also recognize Blimey as as pretty much the opposite..
    I just thought the picture was kinda cute :P Really I have problems with the game to, I just don't think any of them are as DIRE as people make them out to be and can and will be fixed in the near term. I'm happy to say I'm not the only one who feels that way.

Every game on MMO is horrible and dying... duh.

Definitely worth buying, but you need to shed the WOW mindset of "rush to max level", cause getting to 50 is going to take you 5 days PLAYED on average. That's also not what this game is about, clearly. Not yet anyway. The focus lies heavily on the leveling content and the class quests and those are really nice to be honest.

The PvE content is fun, and as usual PvPers will cry about PvP but the fact of the matter is that for a game released, the PvP content available is relatively balanced, though I hear the gear is unforgiving for freshly dinged 50s. However, it's not really complex to get gear so I don't think this should stop anyone. The instances (flashpoints) are diverse and really awesome TBH. Up to level 35 they're all easily 2mannable with your companions, and probably after that as well.

The hard mode flashpoints are hardmode (max level), in the sense that you can't really fail else you simply will die, but once you get the mechanics and tactics down and you know wtf you're doing and have a minimum of gear, they're not that hard really. Anyway, it's definitely worth buying and at least playing that free month, you can't really not like it unless you have a thing against RP/MMOs to begin with.