Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Ping Timeouts and Slow Internet on Wired Connection

My laptop next to me is pinging google just fine, the family desktop in the living room is working, but mine is timing out on pings and getting awful speeds. This has been a longstanding issue that affected me both with a wired and wireless connection. My ethernet driver is at it's latest update, the cable is fine, and all the other computers work. I just don't know what to do.

My parents have attributed it to something malfunctioning in the computer, but I fail to see how this could be a problem, if it's consistent over the ethernet port and a USB wireless adapter, as they're two completely different parts of the computer.

At this point, what is there to do? Just accept the fact that my computer will never have a good internet connection? I don't fucking know, but it's really pissing me off at this point. I've done EVERY THING to make this work.

TL;DR
    Ping timeouts on Wired and Wireless Connection
    All Computers in house working JUST fine with NO ping timeouts
    New 50 FT CAT6 Cable running near the floor through the living room (Relevant because that would reduce electrical interference.)
    Modem replaced multiple times.
    Router functioning under the basis that the family computer using a wired connection and my laptop using a wireless works just fine.
    Wired drivers completely up to date.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzykins View Post
    My parents have attributed it to something malfunctioning in the computer, but I fail to see how this could be a problem, if it's consistent over the ethernet port and a USB wireless adapter, as they're two completely different parts of the computer.
    Well, there is one fairly substantial thing that's common between both components - the OS. Have you done a virus scan with the latest updates, including MalwareBytes Anti-Malware and "mrt /F"?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Phatt1e View Post
    Well, there is one fairly substantial thing that's common between both components - the OS. Have you done a virus scan with the latest updates, including MalwareBytes Anti-Malware and "mrt /F"?
    Formatted my SSD (Since it takes a few second to format) and reinstalled EVERYTHING. The Broadcom adapter I'm using is working right now, but when I switch from 10Mb to 100Mb Full Duplex it basically kills it's self. What could be causing this?

Deleted
    Excluding the wireless for a moment, have you tried a different port on the router?

10+ Year Old Account
    Excluding the wireless for a moment, have you tried a different port on the router?
    2 3 and 4. None have shown any difference.

Deleted
    If you run a ping -t to the router on 10Mbps and again at 100Mbps, is there any difference in packet loss?

10+ Year Old Account
    If you run a ping -t to the router on 10Mbps and again at 100Mbps, is there any difference in packet loss?
    Significantly. On the 100Mbps full duplex setting, I have significant and long lasting ping timeouts. When I ping with a 10Mbps setting, I get one "every once and awhile". Not enough to interrupt service significantly.

I also took the liberty to upgrade all the firmware in my house to it's latest version. (The router was pretty far behind.) It didn't really change anything.

I'm also running off of a 100% fresh install with the latest drivers straight from manufacturer's websites (Rather than Dell's. I use a Dell stock motherboard and was hoping it would get me by until IvyBridge at least, but things aren't looking too good.)

Options I've considered at this point would be a new motherboard. But the issue I have with that is that I also have a pretty piss poor case, so I'd like to upgrade that as well. Since I need a new cooler, my current one has some issues, I'd also need to buy that for convenience's sake. That works up quite a bill. >.<

And I'd rather not spend any more money. This Cat6 cord cost a bit of money, actually. I could have gotten it free, but it couldn't wait the few weeks I would have needed.
    Last edited by Fuzzykins; 2012-01-29 at 12:33 AM.

Deleted
    It sounds like there are collisions on the network or a duplex mismatch. It's a small network (presumably) so there shouldn't be that big of a problem but anyway, do you have an unmanaged device (hub in most cases) between your PC and the router, perhaps? Or in fact, anywhere else on the network? Also, make sure your network adapter is set to auto negotiation instead of any specific duplex setting. Check the router if there are any settings relating to LAN port duplex settings, too.

10+ Year Old Account
    It sounds like there are collisions on the network or a duplex mismatch. It's a small network (presumably) so there shouldn't be that big of a problem but anyway, do you have an unmanaged device (hub in most cases) between your PC and the router, perhaps? Or in fact, anywhere else on the network? Also, make sure your network adapter is set to auto negotiation instead of any specific duplex setting. Check the router if there are any settings relating to LAN port duplex settings, too.
    Auto negotiation sets its self to 10Mbps Full Duplex.
    Network Map:

I have no idea what that "switch" is.
    I'd assume it's my router.
    There's two Michael-PC's. One is my laptop, one is my desktop. [Ohai, I'm Michael. :3]
    However, my router is named "home". My router is directly connected to my modem with no extra computers, and no extra connections, except my family computer and my laptop. I'm so confused.

the awkward moment when your TL;DR is about the same size as the OP lol.

OT: not sure how your router works but for my linksys its shows internet connected to Modem that is connected to the Router which every computer is connected to it.

so it may have something to do with your router not recognizing the right connection.

Last edited by pyrotemplar; 2012-01-29 at 12:56 AM.

Deleted
    Hold up. You saying there is a machine called home and the router is called home? And there are 2 machines called Michael-PC? You should never have 2 devices with the same name. Get renaming, for one.

Second, you need to log into the router and check what the LAN duplex setting is. If you can find it, let me know what the setting is.

Just throwing an idea out, I'm sure it's probably not the problem but if you are trying to connect via wired connection, disable your wireless adapter in the control panel or vice versa. Again, I'm sure this probably wont have any effect, but what the heck, can't hurt to try.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hold up. You saying there is a machine called home and the router is called home? And there are 2 machines called Michael-PC? You should never have 2 devices with the same name. Get renaming, for one.

Second, you need to log into the router and check what the LAN duplex setting is. If you can find it, let me know what the setting is.
    Agh, that's going to take forever. Alrighty, off I scamper.

New Netmap:

And LAN is mentioned surprisingly little in my router's settings. Nothing about duplex whatsoever.

I have to repeat, at it's auto setting (10Mb/s) it's surprisingly stable. But speeds suck ass.
    Last edited by Fuzzykins; 2012-01-29 at 01:15 AM.

Deleted
    OK, that's fine. Hubs are unmanaged and "stupid" devices, so all traffic is sent to all ports on it and that causes the collisions. I'm also not sure if it would show up on an automatically generated network map so you'd need to actually check that nobody has plugged in one anywhere.

I take it you're pinging the router (or switch, as it is in the map) by IP address, and there are no IP address conflicts on the network? That is of paramount importance, btw.

Also, have you tried 100Mb half duplex, by any chance?
    Last edited by mmoc93da00bcb5; 2012-01-29 at 01:20 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    OK, that's fine. Hubs are unmanaged and "stupid" devices, so all traffic is sent to all ports on it and that causes the collisions. I'm also not sure if it would show up on an automatically generated network map.

I take it you're pinging the router (switch in the map) by IP address, and there are no IP address conflicts on the network? That is of paramount importance, btw. Have you tried 100Mb half duplex, by any chance?
    Isn't half duplex just upload? Or am I at a huge misunderstanding here?
    I've been pinging a server and watching for the packet drops. =/ Should I be pinging the router instead? (I'd assume thats 192.168.1.1, correct?)

(For clarification, I've been running "ping -t www.google.com" into my command prompt.)
    Last edited by Fuzzykins; 2012-01-29 at 01:28 AM.

Deleted
    Well half duplex just allows 1 way transfer, then once it's finished it'll allow the other side to go.

I wanted to see if you can ping things inside your network without problems when running at both 100Mbit full duplex and auto negotiation. Also, what happens when you try and ping from Jay-Desktop to other machines inside the network.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well half duplex just allows 1 way transfer, then once it's finished it'll allow the other side to go.

I wanted to see if you can ping things inside your network without problems when running at both 100Mbit full duplex and auto negotiation. Also, what happens when you try and ping from Jay-Desktop to other machines inside the network.
    Jay-Desktop is actually running 20Mbps+ just fine, despite my horrible speeds. That's what leads me to think it's not a router issue. My speeds in 100Mbit Full Duplex were good, just not consistent.

And I can try. I don't know my individual IP's. I had them set up awhile ago, but (Significantly long ago) when I reset my router, I lost all my static IP configurations. I just don't get why it's just this desktop as opposed to all the other computers on the network.

My Broadcom driver software says I'm getting "alignment and CRC" errors. Tons when I'm on 100Mbps Full Duplex, and only 1 so far in Auto.
    Last edited by Fuzzykins; 2012-01-29 at 01:41 AM.

Deleted
    20Mbps? I take it that's just wireless then. And like you said, that works fine when connected via the cable that your desktop is using.

Have you tried the desktop wireless since the reformat? Since everything else works including your laptop then I can only think that the ethernet on your desktop is borked.

10+ Year Old Account
    20Mbps? I take it that's just wireless then. And like you said, that works fine when connected via the cable that your desktop is using.

Have you tried the desktop wireless since the reformat? Since everything else works including your laptop then I can only think that the ethernet on your desktop is borked.
    Hm? Jay-PC is wired. I'm saying it gets the speed it should.
    The Wireless is being finicky as always, but is significantly faster.
    I've pretty much accepted it's broken at this point, and intend to just buy a new motherboard, case, and cooler tomorrow. /shrug
    Shit happens. Gonna' make a new post on what I intend to buy then. (I make a lot of those. >.>)

"CRC/ Alignment Errors

Cyclic redundancy check (CRC)/ alignment errors generally indicate improper byte-alignment for Ethernet packets. CRC errors greater than two percent of overall traffic require attention. Most commonly CRC errors can be isolated to a particular workstation with a faulty network interface card. Alternatively, a faulty transceiver, cable, or hub port can be responsible for CRC errors.
    If CRC errors cannot be isolated to a unique workstation address, cabling is the likely cause. Faulty connectors, improper grounding of thin coax wiring, or defective wiring concentrators could be the root problem."

(taken from http://www.mug.jhmi.edu/mirrors/info.../physical.html)