Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ...
2
3
4
5
6
... LastLast
  1. #61
    I am positive that blizzard has called it an mmo before, but I don't want to go fish up the quote.

    It's something along the lines of "People misunderstand the meaning of mmo/rpg. Diablo is massive, it is multiplayer, it is online, but it's not traditional like, say, World of Warcraft."

  2. #62
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    What part of the AH doesn't qualify as an MMO?
    An AH is not, in and of itself, an MMO. It's an interface for the buying and selling of items. It's not a persistent gameworld for the interaction with other users.

    ---------- Post added 2012-02-01 at 04:51 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by lopk View Post
    I am positive that blizzard has called it an mmo before, but I don't want to go fish up the quote.

    It's something along the lines of "People misunderstand the meaning of mmo/rpg. Diablo is massive, it is multiplayer, it is online, but it's not traditional like, say, World of Warcraft."
    MMO doesn't stand for "Massive multiplayer online" it stands for "massively multiplayer online." "Massively" modifies "multiplayer" in that case, implying the ability to interact with large numbers of people in the game world simultaneously. If you're just going to define it as massive simultaneous numbers of players, regardless of the interaction level, COD, Halo, and any other game with on-line coop qualifies.

  3. #63
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrysia View Post
    An AH is not, in and of itself, an MMO. It's an interface for the buying and selling of items. It's not a persistent gameworld for the interaction with other users.
    It's a persistent environment for interacting with other users on a large scale.

  4. #64
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    It's a persistent environment for interacting with other users on a large scale.
    You and I are going by different definitions of "interacting" then. There is no actual interaction going on. I click a button to get an item/post it, and I get the item/money in return. I never interacted with another user at all.

  5. #65
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrysia View Post
    You and I are going by different definitions of "interacting" then. There is no actual interaction going on. I click a button to get an item/post it, and I get the item/money in return. I never interacted with another user at all.
    So it's turn-based, there's other MMOs like that.

  6. #66
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    So it's turn-based, there's other MMOs like that.
    No, it's not turn based. There is no interaction. I'm not helping or hurting another player directly. As far as the transaction is concerned, I may as well be interacting with an NPC vendor. Most turn based MMOs are PVP. I'm directly combating an enemy player, and who that player is and what he does matters. It's immaterial on an AH. It's a transaction service, nothing more.

  7. #67
    The Lightbringer Kouki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    3,512
    Yes it is an mmo, no he is not crazy.

    Monster hunter is an mmo, Halo is an mmo, anything where the pool of people you can play with is more then the controlers you can plug in, is an mmo.
    -Scrapbot stole my sig-

  8. #68
    Quote Originally Posted by Quarkzter View Post
    Batshit crazy? Really?
    Is it massive? Is it a multiplayer game? Is is online? If yes, yes and yes, the game in question is an MMO.
    The Diablo game world might be massive but so is a Minecraft map still doesn't make it an MMO.

    The "Massive"(more correctly "Massively") in MMO generally refers to the large number of players the game supports at any given time. The Diablo universe however doesn't fall under that as any given map cab only house less than 10 people(not positive on the number but I know it was less than 10 in the previous installments).

  9. #69
    with that logic every online game ever is an mmo

  10. #70
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrysia View Post
    No, it's not turn based. There is no interaction. I'm not helping or hurting another player directly. As far as the transaction is concerned, I may as well be interacting with an NPC vendor. Most turn based MMOs are PVP. I'm directly combating an enemy player, and who that player is and what he does matters. It's immaterial on an AH. It's a transaction service, nothing more.
    So a bidding war is not an interaction?

  11. #71
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankes View Post
    D3 is exactly same like GW1, only difference is that you dont have city where everyone is meeting. If someone consider GW1 as MMO then D3 is MMO too.
    But GW1 isnt MMO because you dont have open world where you can meet other random people. Simply its lack first M - Massive same in case D3.
    sorry but your wrong just because outside of towns u cant have more then 8 dosn't mean its not a mmo in each town u can have 200+people in each district guild wars is a mmorpg.
    i play guild wars and as i said just because outside of a town u cant have 100+ means little u can have 8 people in any zone and in each town/hub there can be more then 200 people it.

    Edit: you may not be able to meet random people in the zone's but in each town/hub u can meet tons of random people.
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2012-02-01 at 05:50 AM.
    My Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/jtbrig7390
    PSN: Jtbrig7390
    Nintendo ID: Jtbrig7390
    XBL: Jtbrig7390 "Inactive at this time"
    My Twitch Streaming Games All The Time: http://www.twitch.tv/jtbrig7390

  12. #72
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    So a bidding war is not an interaction?
    To a degree, yes, but I have no idea who's on the other end, and I have no control over what happens on the other end. Besides, in most games I've ever played bidding wars are extremely rare on the AH. 99/100 times people just go for the buyout price to save the headache.

  13. #73
    Herald of the Titans Irisel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Swimming in a fish bowl
    Posts
    2,649
    It's close enough. It's an mmo.

    Rule of Thumb: If the healer's HPS is higher than your DPS, you're doing it wrong.

  14. #74
    Diablo 3 = MMOARPG... I think...

  15. #75
    The Lightbringer Kouki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    3,512
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolitar View Post
    with that logic every online game ever is an mmo
    With who's logic?
    -Scrapbot stole my sig-

  16. #76
    Scarab Lord Howard Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    LV-426
    Posts
    4,035
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    Does it have a chat room? I thought it was only a matchmaking system. Ladder isn't really a persistent gameplay element.
    So a chat room is it what makes D3 an MMO? In that case, IRC and Facebook are MMOs!!
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

    "This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

  17. #77
    D3 is no more MMO than LoL for example. Hell ppl refuse to call GW1 MMO because big parts of it are instanced. D3 has much less MMO in it than GW1. It's like a competition who can use MMO term more losely here.

    My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

  18. #78
    The Lightbringer Kouki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    3,512
    Quote Originally Posted by Repefe View Post
    D3 is no more MMO than LoL for example. Hell ppl refuse to call GW1 MMO because big parts of it are instanced. D3 has much less MMO in it than GW1. It's like a competition who can use MMO term more losely here.
    Any game where the pool of people you play with is more than 4 imo is an mmo.

    Wow is an mmo but you play with 5 ppl 10 ppl or 25 ppl used to be 40 and higher is it any less an mmo?

    Everquest and other older mmorpg's were 40+raids too, is swtor any less an mmo for being 4 and 8 player content?

    Starcraft 1 and 2 and all the warcraft games are massively multiplayer, you play with 8 ppl at a time but you play out of a pool of thousands.
    Starcraft 2 lists how many ppl are loged on and in games on the front page of the game.

    Diablo3 League of legends and dota, all have chat rooms filled with thousands of people and a random group system like wow and rift.
    You play with 5 player groups out of thousands its no less an mmo then wow 5 mans.

    mmo is the medium Rpg or RtS is the genre.
    -Scrapbot stole my sig-

  19. #79
    Quote Originally Posted by Kouki View Post
    Any game where the pool of people you play with is more than 4 imo is an mmo.

    Wow is an mmo but you play with 5 ppl 10 ppl or 25 ppl used to be 40 and higher is it any less an mmo?

    Everquest and other older mmorpg's were 40+raids too, is swtor any less an mmo for being 4 and 8 player content?

    Starcraft 1 and 2 and all the warcraft games are massively multiplayer, you play with 8 ppl at a time but you play out of a pool of thousands.
    Starcraft 2 lists how many ppl are loged on and in games on the front page of the game.

    Diablo3 League of legends and dota, all have chat rooms filled with thousands of people and a random group system like wow and rift.
    You play with 5 player groups out of thousands its no less an mmo then wow 5 mans.

    mmo is the medium Rpg or RtS is the genre.
    Using the term for such a wide range of games loses meaning. It's a multiplayer game thus it's a MMO. Multiplayer is online, it's always massive since the pool of players is big, either the game is strictly singe player, or it's a MMO ... why bother using the term at all ? Everything is MMO these days. ME3 is MMO ... it has multiplayer!

    When I hear MMO I imagine guilds, hubs full of players ...

    Maybe every game that has online multiplayer is MMO, but then why bother using that term ... I can just say RPG, RTS, Shooter and MMO will be implied.

    My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

  20. #80
    The Lightbringer Kouki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    3,512
    Quote Originally Posted by Repefe View Post
    Using the term for such a wide range of games loses meaning. It's a multiplayer game thus it's a MMO. Multiplayer is online, it's always massive since the pool of players is big, either the game is strictly singe player, or it's a MMO ... why bother using the term at all ? Everything is MMO these days. ME3 is MMO ... it has multiplayer!

    When I hear MMO I imagine guilds, hubs full of players ...

    Maybe every game that has online multiplayer is MMO, but then why bother using that term ... I can just say RPG, RTS, Shooter and MMO will be implied.
    No it wouldnt be implied.

    There are single player rts games example starcraft 1 on the nintendo 64 is single player or split screen no online.
    Final fantasy, parasite eve, .hack were all single player RPG's for the most part of 18 years.

    RPG MOBA FPS RTS These are Sub genre MMO Single player Are the GameType. or w/e.

    Just because you say some fps is and fps does not make it an mmo so you say mmofps.
    -Scrapbot stole my sig-

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •