Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account

My friend says Diablo is an mmo. Is he batshit crazy? What do I tell him?>

Title says it all. My friend just keeps telling me im wrong. He says because a massive amount of people play the game and because its multiplayer that it makes it an mmo. You can only play with a maximum of 7 others and yourself at one time though. How is that suppose to be an mmo?

Deleted
    Batshit crazy? Really?
    Is it massive? Is it a multiplayer game? Is is online? If yes, yes and yes, the game in question is an MMO.
    Last edited by mmoc3241605ebc; 2012-01-28 at 08:19 PM.

Deleted
    Ignorance is bliss, if he wants to think it let him. Why does it bother you so much, you know you're right why do you have to shove it in his face? He does sound retarded but let him be retarded.

Deleted
    I don't think I can find a better argument than those you provided him. Diablo 3 will be 4 players (total) at a time only though, not 8, unless something changed.

Deleted
    It's not an mmo, it's a multiplayer dungeon crawler, but really, who cares what the label is. Don't worry about what he wants to call it And you can actually only group with a maximum of 4 (yourself and 3 others) in D3.

Quote Originally Posted by Quarkzter View Post
    Batshit crazy? Really? Is it massive? Is it a multiplayer game? Is is online? If yes, yes and yes, the game in question is an MMO.
    Actually, it means "massively multi-player online" game. It doesn't just mean that the game is big or "massive" and has a multiplayer mode online.

Generally speaking it wouldn't be since it is designed as a single player game, multiplayer is just an option available to you.
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.

The correct term is Co-op.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamanic View Post
    It's not an mmo, it's a multiplayer dungeon crawler, but really, who cares what the label is. Don't worry about what he wants to call it And you can actually only group with a maximum of 4 (yourself and 3 others) in D3.
    O. I wasnt aware that it was only 4 people max. I thought it was 8. Thx for that info . O and I care because he thinks im a moron for not thinking its an mmo, and that bothers me....... : /

I'd go so far as to call it an MORPG, but putting an extra 'M' on there might be stretching the definition a bit. The "massive" implies that you occupy a space which also contains a potentially massive number of players. When the maximum number is defined, publicized, and it's in the single digits, that kind of precludes it from being an MMO, at least in my own opinion.

IIRC you have a maximum of four players concurrently in a game

So no, despite being always online and having an auction house, it is not an MMO
    Unless you think Left 4 Dead is also an MMO

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Quarkzter View Post
    Batshit crazy? Really? Is it massive? Is it a multiplayer game? Is is online? If yes, yes and yes, the game in question is an MMO.
    MM stands for massively multiplayer. My english is rusty but I guess massively is an adverb and is applied to multiplayer, meaning "much more than just multiplayer". So a multiplayer online game, is not a massively multiplayer online game

Deleted
    Go ask him: "by using your logic I can call games like Battlefield, Starcraft or Heroes of Newerth MMO's?"

Diablo is definatly an A-RPG and a singleplayer/co-op game.

MMO= Massive amount of people in the same instance of a game. Like WoW. TOR, Aion.

Deleted
    I think the only argument to call Diablo 3 a MMO would be the auction house, but it's such a small part of the game it is not a valid point.

10+ Year Old Account
    You could consider the Bnet lobby to be MMO without a virtual environment. There are plenty of MMORPGs that only have instances with a character limit of 4-6 for areas outside "cities". D3 just wouldn't have a virtual environment other than the chat rooms (assuming it's like D2).

Since the RMAH and regular AH are persistent across all instances, I would definitely consider D3 to be MMO.

D3 is exactly same like GW1, only difference is that you dont have city where everyone is meeting. If someone consider GW1 as MMO then D3 is MMO too.
    But GW1 isnt MMO because you dont have open world where you can meet other random people. Simply its lack first M - Massive same in case D3.

MMORPG was invented by Richard Garriot. He said this is an online game about persistent world. Persistance game world means you drop a weapon and if noone grabs it, it will remain there for weeks. So in a sence WOW is failing there. That's why they call WOW an MMO light or "theme park" MMO. You have zero impact on the world.

While in Diablo the weapon remains on the ground, but when all players leave the "Baal run 255" named instance then the server discards that instance. So it's not a real MMO but a multiplayer game.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Genre(s): Action role-playing game, dungeon crawl, hack and slash, horror.

Which I find quite describing of diablo.

if it were an MMO because a lot of people play online then almost every single online game would be MMO.

Source: Diablo on Wikipedia

10+ Year Old Account
    Definately not an MMO. How many people can play in the same server at the same time? 8, like in Diablo 2 (It was 8, right?)?