Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dim View Post
    same thing crossed my mind if D3 is MMO then L4D must be also....so no D3 is not MMO, its a co-op game and that only if you choose so since you can play alone. While when you login in WoW...you are never alone

unless ofc you are on server where you are ally with 99% horde and you have a feeling you are alone :P
    You would definately not be alone in that case either. You would have horde to keep you company.

Quote Originally Posted by Quarkzter View Post
    Batshit crazy? Really?
    Is it massive? Is it a multiplayer game? Is is online? If yes, yes and yes, the game in question is an MMO.
    Pretty much this. An MMO doesn't have to be something you play with millions of people even though you can only have a few in one game at a time. It is massive, multiplayer online game. Thus it is a MMO, Regardless of how you see it, you cannot claim it as other wise.

10+ Year Old Account
    "As in all RPGs, players assume the role of a character (often in a fantasy world) and take control over many of that character's actions. MMORPGs are distinguished from single-player or small multi-player RPGs by the number of players, and by the game's persistent world (usually hosted by the game's publisher), which continues to exist and evolve while the player is offline and away from the game."

So no, Diablo 3 is not an MMO. Not even close, the world is not even persistent.

Quote Originally Posted by SWTORJohnny View Post
    Pretty much this. An MMO doesn't have to be something you play with millions of people even though you can only have a few in one game at a time. It is massive, multiplayer online game. Thus it is a MMO, Regardless of how you see it, you cannot claim it as other wise.
    Massive Multiplayer refers to the amount of people in the game world at one time, not how many people who are in an online lobby, with this logic any game with an online multiplayer feature would be an MMO.

Diablo 3 allows 4 players at one time to play a game, thats hardly massive. Starcraft 2 for example has ladder matches that allow 8 players to play at the same time, is SC2 an mmo now?

On the flipside world of warcraft has hundreds of players in the same game world at the same time, there is an obvious difference.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SWTORJohnny View Post
    You do realize that with that definition it loses it's meaning completely, as every single online multiplayer would be called MMO? Or would you rather call it MVGWICOSHOTOPSIAPW (multiplayer video game which is capable of supporting hundreds or thousands of players simultaneously in a persistent world) or something along those lines?

From what i have read and researched about the game it is a multiplayer dungeon crawler, or a sort of CO-OP type of game. Although if they are including an auction house (i know about this due to the massive about of QQ that arose due to the Real Money AH) it would seem as though it is an MMO of sorts.

Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post
    You do realize that with that definition it loses it's meaning completely, as every single online multiplayer would be called MMO?
    Agreed. That is why they came up with the name "MMO" in the first place, to differentiate it from other online game models. Just because a term is not in the dictionary, it doesn't mean that you should go and stretch it's meaning to your convenience :P

If D3 is an MMO then D2 and D1 were also MMOs. Which they were most certainly not.
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

10+ Year Old Account
    You do realize that with that definition it loses it's meaning completely, as every single online multiplayer would be called MMO? Or would you rather call it MVGWICOSHOTOPSIAPW (multiplayer video game which is capable of supporting hundreds or thousands of players simultaneously in a persistent world) or something along those lines?
    Do those games have a persistent lobby where hundreds of other players can interact with each other at the same time? Do they have a persistent AH system? Having a matchmaking system for multiplayer is not the same as having a game lobby and instanced dungeons. D3=MMO

Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    Do those games have a persistent lobby where hundreds of other players can interact with each other at the same time? Do they have a persistent AH system? Having a matchmaking system for multiplayer is not the same as having a game lobby and instanced dungeons. D3=MMO
    What about Starcraft 2 then? It has tons of players you can interact with through chat rooms and the ladder system. Is that an MMO?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrouded View Post
    What about Starcraft 2 then? It has tons of players you can interact with through chat rooms and the ladder system. Is that an MMO?
    Does it have a chat room? I thought it was only a matchmaking system. Ladder isn't really a persistent gameplay element.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthNemis View Post
    O. I wasnt aware that it was only 4 people max. I thought it was 8. Thx for that info . O and I care because he thinks im a moron for not thinking its an mmo, and that bothers me....... : /
    Solution: don't let it bother you. If you know better, and he's too stubborn to consider your opinion, then just be happy with knowing better.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Does it have a chat room? I thought it was only a matchmaking system. Ladder isn't really a persistent gameplay element.
    Chatroom? That's what makes online multiplayer game MMO now?

And by persistent I meant that the world you play in evolves with or without you. A chatroom doesn't evolve one way or another, it's just a chatroom.

In World of Warcraft, if you stopped playing before Cataclysm and came back now, the world have changed without you. All new stuff, no way of going back, even if you start new character. In Diablo 3 the story does not progress unless you play the game.

Chatting with hundreds or thousands people does not make a game MMO. Playing in the same SERVER (not an instanced dungeon inside the server), but playing with them does.
    Last edited by Santti; 2012-01-31 at 10:12 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Chatroom? That's what makes online multiplayer game MMO now?

And by persistent I meant that the world you play in evolves with or without you. A chatroom doesn't evolve one way or another, it's just a chatroom.

In World of Warcraft, if you stopped playing before Cataclysm and came back now, the world have changed without you. All new stuff, no way of going back, even if you start new character. In Diablo 3 the story does not progress unless you play the game.

Chatting with hundreds or thousands people does not make a game MMO. Playing in the same SERVER (not an instanced dungeon inside the server), but playing with them does.
    AH is persistent. RMAH makes it persistent even out to RL.

You can't play it offline. Might as well be an MMO. /immadbro

Deleted
    If Diablo 3 is a MMO then Halo, COD, and BF3 are has well why? Because you have over 1 million players playing the game online, it is a multiplayer game and is online.

No Halo, COD and BF are not MMOs same with Diablo 3.

AH is persistent. RMAH makes it persistent even out to RL.
    The auction house is a very small portion of the game that a player can completely ignore if desired. The genre is decided by the entire game, not a small part that doesn't even fit into the MMO genre in and of itself.

With such a broad definition, you could label just about every game as an mmo...Madden, Fable, NBA 2k12, etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Etna View Post
    If Diablo 3 is a MMO then Halo, COD, and BF3 are has well why? Because you have over 1 million players playing the game online, it is a multiplayer game and is online.

No Halo, COD and BF are not MMOs same with Diablo 3.
    Quote Originally Posted by superfula View Post
    The auction house is a very small portion of the game that a player can completely ignore if desired. The genre is decided by the entire game, not a small part that doesn't even fit into the MMO genre in and of itself.

With such a broad definition, you could label just about every game as an mmo...Madden, Fable, NBA 2k12, etc.
    But D3 has both persistent AH and the capability to interact with hundreds of other players at the same time via lobby.

EDIT: The D3 AH alone can be considered an MMO.
    Last edited by Aquamonkey; 2012-02-01 at 12:38 AM.

But D3 has both persistent AH and the capability to interact with hundreds of other players at the same time via lobby.

EDIT: The D3 AH alone can be considered an MMO.
    Really, an AH is an MMO? Since when? So I guess EBay is an MMO? Also, many many other games have had lobbies that allow you to interact with other players and setup games. Doesn't make them MMOs.

EDIT: Thought I'd add that adding built in AOL chat rooms instead of simple automatic matchmaking also does not make it an MMO.
    Last edited by Chrysia; 2012-02-01 at 12:57 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrysia View Post
    Really, an AH is an MMO? Since when? So I guess EBay is an MMO? Also, many many other games have had lobbies that allow you to interact with other players and setup games. Doesn't make them MMOs.

EDIT: Thought I'd add that adding built in AOL chat rooms instead of simple automatic matchmaking also does not make it an MMO.
    What part of the AH doesn't qualify as an MMO?

I am positive that blizzard has called it an mmo before, but I don't want to go fish up the quote.

It's something along the lines of "People misunderstand the meaning of mmo/rpg. Diablo is massive, it is multiplayer, it is online, but it's not traditional like, say, World of Warcraft."