Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ...
    Theres not really much of a arguement, you can only have 4 people in a game with you at a time, so no its not a "MMO". Is starcraft 2 a MMO?

---------- Post added 2012-02-04 at 09:46 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Baergrillz View Post
    lol by this definition SWTOR isn't an MMO, I play it and only 4 players are allowed inan instance so umm. By your definition of an mmo only wow would be one lol.
    Before your in an instance your in a world with hundred-thousands of people, thats why its a MMO. In diablo 3 you are never around more than 3 other people.

When I think of MMOs I think of persistent worlds supporting unlimited numbers of players.

Quote Originally Posted by sophos1 View Post
    When I think of MMOs I think of persistent worlds supporting unlimited numbers of players.
    It's impossible to support an unlimited number of players.

Diablo 3 is not an MMO...

It has no persistent world
    It has no (MM)O element

It is an Action based RPG (ARPG)
    It has online capabilities

Just because you're required to have an internet connection to play a game does not make a game an MMO.
    At times, the frequent redundancy and stupidity of this forum turns me into an argumentative ass.

To most of you, I apologize in advance. I will attempt to be nicer.

How is this discussion still going on?
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Holy Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

Quote Originally Posted by Quarkzter View Post
    Batshit crazy? Really?
    Is it massive? Is it a multiplayer game? Is is online? If yes, yes and yes, the game in question is an MMO.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massive...er_online_game

A massively multiplayer online game (also called MMO and MMOG) is a multiplayer video game which is capable of supporting hundreds or thousands of players simultaneously. By necessity, they are played on the Internet, and usually feature at least one persistent world.

Guys stop turning massively into massive and separating it from multiplayer by a coma, no matter how you twist it, it still ain't right.

Quote Originally Posted by Xebu View Post
    How is this discussion still going on?
    Because you linked it in another thread which brought me here, which started giving me a headache... and I ended up posting? =P
    At times, the frequent redundancy and stupidity of this forum turns me into an argumentative ass.

To most of you, I apologize in advance. I will attempt to be nicer.

Quote Originally Posted by Yzak View Post
    Because you linked it in another thread which brought me here, which started giving me a headache... and I ended up posting? =P
    Lol dammit! I was hoping that would just kill the discussion over there, not revive the discussion over here :P
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Holy Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

it's not an mmo. MMO requires that you can interact with hundreds of player that you don't know in an area (like a city a forest). Diablo will require you to create a game (public / private) that up to 3 other player will be able to join. So you canno't (at the same time) interact with more than 3 players. Which makes this game not an mmo.
    If mmo would juste required that there is a lot of people online then pokémon black and white would be a mmo, starcraft2 and even super smash brawl on Wii (yes a lot of people play online).

Quote Originally Posted by Kerain View Post
    Genre(s): Action role-playing game, dungeon crawl, hack and slash, horror.

Which I find quite describing of diablo.

if it were an MMO because a lot of people play online then almost every single online game would be MMO.

Source: Diablo on Wikipedia
    ^ This

It has a good online component, and in Diablo 3 you will see it expanded, but it is, in no way, an MMO.

'Not everything that glitters is gold'. A wise saying, seemingly not applicable in this case, but if we change words: Not everything that has a good online component is an MMO.

From wikipedia:
    Diablo III
    Genre(s) Action role-playing, hack and slash, dungeon crawl, dark fantasy/horror
    Btw if "it has lobbies where you can chat with others and you can play games online with other people" would be the definition of an mmo, it would make Facebook an mmo. Is it an mmo? No, it's a social medim.
    Is diablo 3 an mmo? No, it is an action rpg.

Role playing game -.-