Thread: SWTOR a success

Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

SWTOR a success

Does anyone know how many people bought this game already? I think it might be around 2.2 million.

Also how much did it cost to make this game. Now articles coming out with figures like 200 to 500 million dollars.

Do you think EA will lose money?

Whats your opinion?

Sales =/= Subscriptions.
    SkoorbVyvanseKarmann

10+ Year Old Account
    Sales is still money however. If they can recoup their investment through sales alone then yes its been a success. Why this matters to anyone I'm not sure but this thread should develop into something quite interesting. BRB while I get popcorn.

Quote Originally Posted by taniawi View Post
    Does anyone know how many people bought this game already? I think it might be around 2.2 million.

Also how much did it cost to make this game. Now articles coming out with figures like 200 to 500 million dollars.

Do you think EA will lose money?

Whats your opinion?
    500 million? Where did you see that? From what I have seen, the total is around 200m all in with server infrastructure and advertising. With around 2 million sales (assuming 25% collectors editions based on the number of CE mounts seen at launch) and an assumed 50% subscriber rate (probably closer to 65-70%), then yeah.. they have at least broke even at this point.

I recall reading that their stocks fell after the game didn't do as well as people originally thought it was, and people taking money out of the stock.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingerhunter247 View Post
    I recall reading that their stocks fell after the game didn't do as well as people originally thought it was, and people taking money out of the stock.
    EA stock dropped 3% on the word of an analyst group down grading their stock on the grounds that SWTOR was not gonna be the big hit that was expected. The next trading day several other analysts refuted the first group and EAs stock went back up 2%. I can already tell this thread is gonna be interesting.

Still a bit early to judge it a success or not, but I don't think attaining and holding at 1 million subs indefinitely is unreasonable. Regardless, speaking for myself, I'm having a lot of fun with it and I'm willing to stick around to see what they do with it long-term.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingerhunter247 View Post
    Which is why the internet is a poor place to get information sometimes. One analyst said that sales didn't meet expectations, and it dropped 3%, a couple of days later it was back to where it had been since late November, because other analysts said he was full of crap.

15+ Year Old Account
    Well i think it is, there are always haters that will hate anything.

But this game is good, nice storyline so u wont get bored to 50, and enough endgame content to play every day and have plenty to do.

Last time ive read a message about how many people bought it was a few weeks ago, and it was 1 million.

So i can imagen they are close to 2 million.

Last post about this also told that on max activity there are 350k people online at the same time @ all servers.

Imo very nice, and remember .. this game just launched.
    That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange Aeons even Death may die.

It had a lot of initial sales, but it is not yet a success. You'll have to wait for the official sub figures to be released some time in the future to see whether it's actually a financial success.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mothhive View Post
    It had a lot of initial sales, but it is not yet a success. You'll have to wait for the official sub figures to be released some time in the future to see whether it's actually a financial success.
    If they make the cost back of the game on initial sales then everything after is gravy. It's been a success how much of a success and how long it continues to remain a success remains to be seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Atrahasis View Post
    If they make the cost back of the game on initial sales then everything after is gravy. It's been a success how much of a success and how long it continues to remain a success remains to be seen.
    glad to see some sensible minds on the swtor forums

Right, because creating content patches and maintaining the servers are completely free...

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah no one is going to be able to figure it out.
    Physical sales are easier to track on certain sites however, there's probably also TONS of origin digital sales which are not as easy to find out.
    Then actual sub numbers, you can only work that out with EA's help. Even blizzard didn't release constant press releases when it came out saying how many subscribers they had.

From some source I just found, the game costed 155 million dollars to make. I don't know how much they have made, or what their sale goals was, but I don't expect them to say anything else than that it was a success.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nekosom View Post
    Right, because creating content patches and maintaining the servers are completely free...
    Yet somehow ARENAnet will keep the lights on in Korea...

What kind of money is George Lucas demanding for that game, anyway? %'s?

10+ Year Old Account
    ArenaNet isn't korean.
    It's located in the US.

Ncsoft is the publisher, which is korean.

Remember it also costs them money with servers and payroll and other things. Which takes most of that money away.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstorm View Post
    What kind of money is George Lucas demanding for that game, anyway? %'s?
    No one is sure about the licensing fee. One of the market analyst types said something about them being profitable at 500k subs even with the lucas arts fee.