Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Why is WoW a full copy of the DnD?

I've lately been reading the Dragonlance quite alot. As far as I know it's based on the famous Dungeons 'n Dragons - series..

Every second page, I come across a race, class, weapon or a location that is in WoW aswell. Did the developers honestly create anything new, or is WoW just a copy of all the previous series and stories?

The races in wow are based on an existing mythology (orcs, trolls, animal-based humanoids).

Dragonlance didn't start it, DnD didn't start it, Tolkien didn't start it (LOTR obviously has orcs too).

The lore surrounding the races are theirs of course, but the names and overarching traits are not (orcs are green).

Deleted
    Blizzard ripped off warhammer series when they made warcraft so you cannot blame blizzard for warhammer ripping off D&D! :P

---------- Post added 2012-01-29 at 04:16 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Slonato View Post
    The races in wow are based on an existing mythology (orcs, trolls, animal-based humanoids).

Dragonlance didn't start it, DnD didn't start it, Tolkien didn't start it (LOTR obviously has orcs too).

The lore surrounding the races are theirs of course, but the names and overarching traits are not (orcs are green).
    from oxford dictionary:

Origin:

late 16th century (denoting an ogre): perhaps from Latin orcus 'hell' or Italian orco 'demon, monster', influenced by obsolete orc 'ferocious sea creature' and by Old English orcneas 'monsters'. The current sense is due to the use of the word in Tolkien's fantasy adventures

So what currently we think of when someone mentions orc was in fact shaped by Tolkien.

DragonLance ftw! Raistlin Majere is my absolute favorite book character ever
    But unless WoW adds something as specific as a treehouse city (Solace) or something like that, then you really can't say WoW is copying D&D. As is mentioned already, dwarves/orcs/elves/etc are already stereotypes when it comes to anything in the fantasy genre, which includes WoW.

Almost all fantasy settings use several creatures from the "fantasy pool". Maybe one setting doesn't have orcs, while the other has no goblins, but you get the idea.
    Warcraft is actually pretty unique in many senses.

Orcs are almost always primitive, bloodthirsty, vile creatures. Warcraft orcs maybe primitive, but they have a great understanding of nature, spirits. They are warlike but they were only bloodthirsty when controlled by demons. Some of them are even quite peaceful (like Thrall).

Dragons are almost always selfish beings that hoarde treasure. Warcraft dragons have a special place in the world, each being sort of a preserver.

You can add more, but these are what's on top my head.

It's not the names but the content that make things unique. It's inspiration If not, everything is a rip-off from our ancestors' beliefs thousands of years ago!

Edit: I'm not saying this in any way to belittle or underestimate Tolkien, but he didn't create things out of thin air either. His inspiration lies in mythology I believe. It is safe to call him the father of fantasy for several reasons though:P
    Last edited by themaelstorm; 2012-01-29 at 04:30 PM.

warcraft was made because of warhammer, the lore evolved from there, thats where the general idea for races, and such came from, ( warcraft was in fact, s'posed to be a warhammer game) ideas since evolved, and wow was heavily influenced by tabletop games, namely dnd, so, yes, blizz has blatently ripped off alot from dnd, as well as throing in hundreds of memes, and other clitche's

If WoW was a copy of D&D, it would be called WoD&D, wouldn't it :P

What people don't really get is that borrowing ideas from others (or in their terms, "ripping off others") and expanding on those ideas or changing them (see Warcraft orcs vs Tolkien orcs) is an inherent part of the creative and inventive process. It's very difficult to create something COMPLETELY original.

And no, before Warhammer, orcs were not green.
    A witty saying proves nothing.
    -Voltaire
    winning
    plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

Excuse me, WoW does not have kender!
    Once you go troll, you never reroll. -heard on cynicalbrit.com. Epic.

Some orcs in D&D were green. Some grey. Some red.
    Dragonslayer Hoddie - pretending to know what I'm doing!

Human was a rip off !

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Howdyho View Post
    Blizzard ripped off warhammer series when they made warcraft so you cannot blame blizzard for warhammer ripping off D&D! :P

---------- Post added 2012-01-29 at 04:16 PM ----------

from oxford dictionary:

Origin:

late 16th century (denoting an ogre): perhaps from Latin orcus 'hell' or Italian orco 'demon, monster', influenced by obsolete orc 'ferocious sea creature' and by Old English orcneas 'monsters'. The current sense is due to the use of the word in Tolkien's fantasy adventures

So what currently we think of when someone mentions orc was in fact shaped by Tolkien.
    Not quite. For The Hobbit, Tolkien mostly used goblins. In LOTR these same creatures are instead often named orcs. Depending on who you ask, the orcs and goblins are either different names for the same creatures, or very closely related creatures (Tolkien never made this 100% clear).
    And the goblins then? They were very much influenced by the already known mythical creature. The main difference being that goblins in Tolkiens universe were quite tall (almost as tall as humans), while folk lore goblins tended to be quite short.

It's also interesting to note that the D&D orcs really are more influenced by Tolkiens Uruk, which were considerably different from the goblins/orcs in them being much larger and more powerful.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    Everyone ripped off Tolkein, and Tolkein ripped off folk lore. Enough said.
    Tolkein. Really? REALLYYY?? /fanboy is mad!
    Unless your post is made out of sarcasm! which it is probably.

Any world with dragons in it is fantasy and ripped off by something... Or fairies... or talking trees...
    Last edited by The Madgod; 2012-02-01 at 12:33 AM.

I can name a lot of things WoW has that D&D doesn't. Other way around too.

Point is, neither is a complete carbon copy of the other. A lot of things in the fantasy genre are this way; Without certain things, they'd not be fantasy. That's just how it is.

Blizz ripped off Warhammer who ripped off DnD who ripped off Tolkien. It's pretty common knowledge to DnD players. Most of us don't care. Nothing is original anymore, everything is a rip off of something else with a bit of a spin on it.

Just go with it.

10+ Year Old Account
    WoW clearly stole from the Three Billy Goats Gruff, as WoW as trolls, goats and bridges.

People throw around the word copy too much. Inspired is better in this situation.

Tolkin basically made it popular, it was around before then long before. but essentially its free licensing (noone owns them as such and their always a little different than others)

These threads always amuse me when they pop up. Anything that is even remotely similar to something else is OBVIOUSLY a rip off. There is no way they could just barrow similar ideas, use similar creatures or have similar plots. While we are on the subject: All fantasy settings take place SOMEWHERE! Clearly this is a rip off of the fact that real life takes place in a location!
    Quote Originally Posted by BananaInsane View Post
    Gamon: Tell them only that Hogger is dead.

Who cares who stole/ripped off what?

I honestly am not trying to make anyone angry or troll, I just feel like worrying about this kind of stuff destroys the game. The lore is cool, warhammer lore is cool, folk lore is cool. Even if it is all 'based' off each other, doesn't mean it's stolen. It's like having different kind of diapers. Same thing, but with a fresh perspective from each company who sells them.