Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Mind, I'm not saying that no one ever rips off another person's ideas, but too many people are too quick to declare that something MUST be a rip off. In the end, everything a person could possibly imagine is derivative in some way of their experiences. The thing that is key to an individual fantasy world is the details, the differences.
    Quote Originally Posted by BananaInsane View Post
    Gamon: Tell them only that Hogger is dead.

The basis of all of those are ancient mythologies from a variety of cultures. Tolkien is a big influence for all the fantasy games but his ideas were generated by ancient mythologies as well. WoW does a great job of taking the myths, with the unavoidable Tolkien influence and spinning it into a new thing all thier own.

10+ Year Old Account
    "This is just a pile of rocks. It's just like that pile of rocks over there. Why did you use rocks?"
    "I chipped them into bricks and built this magnificent castle with it, bigger and more beautiful than any castle that came before it."
    "It's a pile of rocks!"
    "But I made.."
    "ROOOOCCCKS."
    Looking marvelous in velvet.

Tolkien may be best known for it currently, but the orc and other mystical "whatevers" have been around in myth and legend for quite a while. Tolkien or DnD don't have a copyright on em. That's like saying "BC had demons in it, that is so ripping off DOOM."

Deleted
    First of all, Forgotten Realms is a more popular and known universe of the DnD then Dragonlance if you want to check similarities.
    But if bring up Dragonlance, think about it how many similarities it has to Lord of the Rings. There is a noble soul with a company of troubled past heroes carrying a mighty artifact which can somehow prevent the evil to destroy the world.
    Fellowship of the Ring - Heroes of the Lance
    Frodo / Goldmoon - a noble innocent soul wielding the the artifact
    Aragorn / Tanis - the ranger leader of the group, having strange relationship with a elven princess
    Gimli / Flint Fireforge - hard-headed always grouchy dwarf with a great heart
    Gandalf / Fizban - a crazed looking mage with infinite wisdom, influencing the group and looks behind the screens from the beginning
    the Hobbits / Tasslehoff - funny kender / halfling / hobbit character, little size - heroic efforts, always mocking with the dwarf
    I can continue until the end of time.

But even with this I love Dragonlance far more then LotR. (You can figure this out from my nic ) So it doesn't matter where the basics of an idea come from if you create something equivalent or even better from it.