Thread: A SWTOR review.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
... LastLast
  1. #21
    Stood in the Fire SarSil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    427
    The only real problem with the game so far is it's optimization. I can't tell if it's the engine or just bad coding, hopefully the latter, but if that is fixed it will arguably be the best MMO for some time.

    Not sure if that's enough to keep me, though. I'm kinda tired of this model, so it might not be enough to keep me playing it longer than a few months.

  2. #22
    Bloodsail Admiral MKing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Heavenly, Tahoe, California/Nevada
    Posts
    1,021
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegemeat View Post
    Game crashed in a wz and locked up my computer three times so far. Yes, theres absolutely nothing wrong with this game............
    Sounds like something caused by your computer bud.

  3. #23
    Dreadlord Tehfred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    North Carolina, US
    Posts
    967
    I think if people had more patience a lot more would enjoy the game. There are no bugs in-game that make it unplayable. People just have ridiculous entitlement issues and expectations. Unless your life is in danger, there's no reason to be so rabid over these things.

    Also, any multiplayer game is going to be terrible without friends to enjoy it with, unless you consider SWTOR a single player game. And I have to wonder about those people, since I group far more often in SWTOR for content than I ever did in any other MMO I've played.
    http://fredplz.wordpress.com/ - Thoughts of an obsessive Resto Shaman

  4. #24
    Dreadlord Vexies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    lost somewhere in the corn fields of middle America
    Posts
    982
    I think if people had more patience a lot more would enjoy the game. There are no bugs in-game that make it unplayable. People just have ridiculous entitlement issues and expectations. Unless your life is in danger, there's no reason to be so rabid over these things.

    Also, any multiplayer game is going to be terrible without friends to enjoy it with, unless you consider SWTOR a single player game. And I have to wonder about those people, since I group far more often in SWTOR for content than I ever did in any other MMO I've played.
    Absolutely agree with what you said here. The game is a lot of fun. They work very hard to fix things as they come up and are pumping out content at a very nice pace. I will look back fondly and smirk at all the troll posts when this game is still successful and going strong a year from now.

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by CommanderSheephard View Post
    doesnt trion have an rts and fps in the works?

    And they just posted a very profitable year so.

    Eh.
    Trion posted $100 million in revenue (not profit) and raised $85 million in funding on top of the $100 million funding they had already borrowed. That does not mean they are making money.
    Misinformation has a tendency to spread.
    Help control the population. Have your blood elf spayed or neutered.

  6. #26
    The Game Needs less Loading screens and pointless walking about, Its just felt so slow and dead..


    It doesn't make any sense to me, you would have thought making a new Big triple A MMO, with buckets of cash from a well established game company like Bioware would have been easy, its not likes there's that many out there -well 3 mainly and only one is massive - And companies do market research - they steal good idea from other brands..


    But all the features IMO that all MMO's of this genre should share were missing, there was huge gaps everywhere where the most basic feature should have been.


    A new MMO must be better or as good than the leading brand or offer something original it must run well on day one, and have all the feature we have come accustom too, They have to be truly amazing.

    This wasn't - from about level 35 onwards I lost all interest in the story - I cant ever remember most of it...

    I just do get it?
    Last edited by MorTvicR; 2012-01-29 at 10:09 PM.

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by BrerBear View Post
    That does not mean they are making money.
    Yeah i hear in todays economic climate people are happy to invest 85 million quid in a product that aint making money.
    This is the tale not of the Horde as it exists today, a loose organization of orc,tauren,forsaken,troll, and blood elf, but of the rise of the very first Horde. Its birth, like that of any infant, was marked by blood and pain, and its harsh cries for life meant death to its enemies.

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Moomurr View Post
    Yeah i hear in todays economic climate people are happy to invest 85 million quid in a product that aint making money.
    You seem to be unfamiliar with how investment works. How do you think Trion got its original $100 million in funding it used to create Rift?

    Trion has earned enough revenue against its original investment to secure more investment. Investors see potential. That does not mean it is "very profitable", as the poster implied. If it was very profitable, it likely would not be looking for another funding round of almost the same amount.
    Help control the population. Have your blood elf spayed or neutered.

  9. #29
    Well, I don't have that much playtime in the game, so I can't really draw my own conclusion on everything yet. I guess my biggest complain is, that, be it the combat or the graphics, it doesn't look or feel very fluid at all...I think WoW looks miles better, even if it is more cartoonish. It also doesn't feel like a big, open world. Loading screens everywhere, you can't go here because you aren't this class, hell even in cities like the Imperial Feelt instead of having actual working elevators there are loading screens to enter the main city level or do down a level or whatever...it just takes away the open feel.

    As the OP said, you can't really customize the look of anything in your UI and they don't allow addon's from my understanding, which is a big mistake. I guess I'm just a bit confused as to what is so much better about this game that WoW doesn't already bring. It's a different universe, and there are some new things within the game that I like or dislike, but in my eyes it's a much more casual game than WoW has ever been. I mean, you can pretty much pay your bitch to level your professions for you (which it kind of nice in a way, but still).

    I'll wait to see endgame stuff before I draw my conclusion, but it's going to take a lot to get me sold on playing this game long-term. I don't have any interest ATM in paying for two MMO's for a length of time when I'm still pretty satisfied with WoW as a whole, even if 4.3 raiding is a piece of crap, which is also the main reason I even gave this game a try. Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad game either way, but I also don't feel I'm getting my money's worth paying 60 dollars to play what feels like a single player game and then having to spend more money to get the MMO endgame aspect of it assuming it takes about a month for me to hit level 50 on one of my toons.
    Last edited by PBitt; 2012-01-29 at 11:10 PM.

  10. #30
    Pit Lord HBpapa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Newport Mesa, Ca
    Posts
    2,407
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahraa View Post
    And one more thing - I see this a lot on these forums and I can do nothing but put the palm of my hand on my face... NO the SWTOR servers population is not dropping.. you look at the servers and see less full and heavy, because they increased the pop. cap on them, at peak hours there are still tons of heavy (which most likely would equate to full a month ago) servers. SWTOR lost 200k subscribers with the release of 1.1, but subsequently gained 1000k.
    This part...is wrong. Server populations for some servers has declined significantly since the release of the game and the population caps have nothing to do with it. There are servers where you'd be hard pressed to find more than 16 people per planet and where fleet has <70 at peak hours (and can have <20 people at non-peak hours). People who play on high pop servers or those on low pop (but happen to be grouped with their friends all the time) probably have no idea how difficult it can be to form groups and do anything other than solo questing.

    I agree with the rest of what you said tho.
    Atheist, pro-gun, pro-Constitution, anti-racism, pro-equal rights for e...v...e...r...y...o...n...e

  11. #31
    Stood in the Fire
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    442
    I love the game, i find leveling much more fun then wow after playing wow for 7yr, I no longer play wow because I'm having too much fun in swtor. Sure the game has some bugs and needs some tweaks but wow suffered the same problem many times. I will keep playing swtor. I am getting rather attached to my characters and loving the story lines.

    Some people like it, some people don't. Your not wrong to like it or hate it.

  12. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadylol View Post
    I disagree, I think the state of SWTOR is far worse off than you seem to, and honestly, I don't think it can be salavaged

    I really wanted to like SWTOR, too Had to get Amazon to give me a refund though... just too much wrong with the game
    Honestly? I don't think the bugs are deal breakers. Much less buggy than any other game's release. For me the issue has been what to do when I hit 50. I haven't gone to Ilum yet but the game feels done for me once my character's story ends

  13. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by MKing View Post
    Sounds like something caused by your computer bud.
    No, it's the game. It also crashed while questing, which according to the swtor official forums isn't something new. The game is full of bugs that shouldn't have made it out of beta
    Hunter POV Streaming PVE/Arena/RBGS/LFR.
    www.twitch.tv/poorplay
    http://www.own3d.tv/Poorplay
    @obvioustrollz

  14. #34
    Tonight the servers were like 60% standard 40% heavy with 1 very heavy. (that was like 2 hours ago. haven't checked since)

    Since that's people paying 15 bucks a month... swtor is going to be fine.
    Lv30 (Warframe) - Zephyr - Boltor Prime - Lex Prime - Dakra Prime - Hunter -
    Lv40 (Firefall) All Battleframes
    Lv60 (Neverwinter) - Rogue - Fighter - Wizard - Guardian - Cleric -

  15. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by Butterland View Post
    What Bioware got right :
    -A nice storyline that goes from level 1 to 50 for each class.
    -Well done phased zones which also support party players.
    -Out of combat regeneration ability for every class.
    -Out of combat passive sprint.

    What Bioware got wrong :
    -Too much ressources spent on voice acting. Main storyline ? Ok. Every single quest ? Quickly gets boring.
    -PvP brackets.
    -Copy paste of WoW's talents system (which is archaic in the first place) and multiple classes.
    -Terrible UI that offers no customization.
    -Poor optimization.
    -Poor combat engine.
    -First raid patch consisting of zombies ? Really ?
    -PvP objectives and medals.
    I'd actually agree with this. I do like this game a lot but there are a fuck ton of changes that need to be made to it.

    I'm not tooooo concerned that a load of people ended their subs before the first month because they don't really count. They expected a perfect gaming experience right out of the box and were disappointed with what they got. Meh. If Bioware REALLY work on the problems instead of trying to attract people with flashy new content then maybe the game will improve to the level of WoW's greatness (and let's be honest, it WAS great!).

    The storylines are awesome from the ones I have played and they are pretty much what keep me coming back. I don't know what I will do at end game because my guild has 3 people online at the most and the server pop is pretty bloody low for the most part. The fact that I play republic doesn't help.

    Combat is jerky and doesn't have a fluid feel to it. I suspect this is in part due to the weirdly long GCDs.

    The engine is pretty piss poor, I'd have to say. I've got a very decent machine with a SSD and I still have to wait a few mins to load up a new planet or the game itself. Feels very clunky.

    Mods / UI customisation etc - sorely needed for some, not by others.

    PvP brackets are duuuumb but I can see the wisdom in them because on some servers you could almost literally level from 1 - 49 before a bloody BG pops for you.

    Bitching aside, I do love this game but once I'm done with the storylines I think I will put it on hold to see how the improvements work out. If BW actually follow through then I will be a life long fan. If not, well... I had my fun.

    Also, I think merging servers will be required at some point. Cough. Some point very soon.
    Feigning Death and watching you all die since 2005!

  16. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by PBitt View Post
    Well, I don't have that much playtime in the game, so I can't really draw my own conclusion on everything yet. I guess my biggest complain is, that, be it the combat or the graphics, it doesn't look or feel very fluid at all...I think WoW looks miles better, even if it is more cartoonish. It also doesn't feel like a big, open world. Loading screens everywhere, you can't go here because you aren't this class, hell even in cities like the Imperial Feelt instead of having actual working elevators there are loading screens to enter the main city level or do down a level or whatever...it just takes away the open feel.

    As the OP said, you can't really customize the look of anything in your UI and they don't allow addon's from my understanding, which is a big mistake. I guess I'm just a bit confused as to what is so much better about this game that WoW doesn't already bring. It's a different universe, and there are some new things within the game that I like or dislike, but in my eyes it's a much more casual game than WoW has ever been. I mean, you can pretty much pay your bitch to level your professions for you (which it kind of nice in a way, but still).

    I'll wait to see endgame stuff before I draw my conclusion, but it's going to take a lot to get me sold on playing this game long-term. I don't have any interest ATM in paying for two MMO's for a length of time when I'm still pretty satisfied with WoW as a whole, even if 4.3 raiding is a piece of crap, which is also the main reason I even gave this game a try. Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad game either way, but I also don't feel I'm getting my money's worth paying 60 dollars to play what feels like a single player game and then having to spend more money to get the MMO endgame aspect of it assuming it takes about a month for me to hit level 50 on one of my toons.
    They charged $60 because they sold a single player RPG for the ps3 but ported it to PC.

    I'm at 50 now and there is nothing to do aside from sitting on fleet and spamming wz's. Like the other guy said, I feel like the game is over now that i'm 50, there is literally nothing compelling me to log on anymore.
    Hunter POV Streaming PVE/Arena/RBGS/LFR.
    www.twitch.tv/poorplay
    http://www.own3d.tv/Poorplay
    @obvioustrollz

  17. #37
    Over 9000! Glorious Leader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    In my bunker leading uprisings
    Posts
    9,407
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegemeat View Post
    No, it's the game. It also crashed while questing, which according to the swtor official forums isn't something new. The game is full of bugs that shouldn't have made it out of beta
    I had a thread on these forums a while back on this very topic let me see if i can dig it up

    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...nally-happened

    Generally the client is extremely stable. I think I've had it crash once in Vaiken space dock that was after 100+ hours in game and in beta.

    ---------- Post added 2012-01-30 at 01:37 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Vegemeat View Post
    They charged $60 because they sold a single player RPG for the ps3 but ported it to PC.

    I'm at 50 now and there is nothing to do aside from sitting on fleet and spamming wz's. Like the other guy said, I feel like the game is over now that i'm 50, there is literally nothing compelling me to log on anymore.
    Have you considered doing any raiding? or heroic flash points? They do exist, you should try them. Plenty of stuff to do at 50 with more to come in the very short term. Can't please everybody though.
    Last edited by Glorious Leader; 2012-01-30 at 01:39 AM.

  18. #38
    I did a total of 3 flash points while leveling, simply because I felt like my time was being wasted as I sat in the fleet spamming general. I'll be raiding with the guild im in now but really, I hit 50 and it was pretty anticlimactic.

    I didn't get that "YES IM 50! NOW I THE GAME STARTS" feeling, it was more of a "it's over now what do I do" kinda feeling.
    Hunter POV Streaming PVE/Arena/RBGS/LFR.
    www.twitch.tv/poorplay
    http://www.own3d.tv/Poorplay
    @obvioustrollz

  19. #39
    Over 9000! Glorious Leader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    In my bunker leading uprisings
    Posts
    9,407
    Interesting out of curiosity what server are you on?

  20. #40
    The swiftsure, which is one of the most populated servers you can play on. I've also had several groups disband after looking for 45 minutes, so we can say im not a fan of this archaic way of forming groups.

    Oh yes, wtb group summon.
    Hunter POV Streaming PVE/Arena/RBGS/LFR.
    www.twitch.tv/poorplay
    http://www.own3d.tv/Poorplay
    @obvioustrollz

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •