Thread: A SWTOR review.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
5
... LastLast
  1. #41
    Over 9000! Glorious Leader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    In my bunker leading uprisings
    Posts
    9,407
    That's fine. I can say in my experience on both Naddist rebels and Fatman I've had relatively little trouble finding groups. You won't have to worry about it for very much longer I suspect as lfd is coming one way or another. They said it was in some interview somewhere but more to the point the genie is out of the bottle. As much as I'd enjoy people to get back into the mentality of networking with each other it seems that organically forming groups in these games is dead.

  2. #42
    Forming groups would be fine had they created a world wide channel people could use while questing. You shouldn't feel like you wasted leveling time because you took an hour or two to look for a group.
    Hunter POV Streaming PVE/Arena/RBGS/LFR.
    www.twitch.tv/poorplay
    http://www.own3d.tv/Poorplay
    @obvioustrollz

  3. #43
    Stood in the Fire viciouss's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Chicago, IL.
    Posts
    399
    I always formed groups while questing

  4. #44
    Over 9000! Glorious Leader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    In my bunker leading uprisings
    Posts
    9,407
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegemeat View Post
    Forming groups would be fine had they created a world wide channel people could use while questing. You shouldn't feel like you wasted leveling time because you took an hour or two to look for a group.
    Servers have started to form their own global (galactic in this case) channnels. See if you can find your servers if it has one. Also make sure and tag yourself for LFG.

  5. #45
    Dreadlord Tehfred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    North Carolina, US
    Posts
    967
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegemeat View Post
    Oh yes, wtb group summon.
    http://www.torhead.com/ability/1c2Io...ncy-fleet-pass
    http://www.torhead.com/item/7ZbFD2T/fleet-pass

    Not to mention a shuttle directly to the fleet on every planet.
    http://fredplz.wordpress.com/ - Thoughts of an obsessive Resto Shaman

  6. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by Tehfred View Post
    I said group summon, not hearth. Not to mention it might be down

    And by channel I mean the general channel used on fleet, simply allow people to join it while out in the world questing so they don't have to be there to look for a group.
    Hunter POV Streaming PVE/Arena/RBGS/LFR.
    www.twitch.tv/poorplay
    http://www.own3d.tv/Poorplay
    @obvioustrollz

  7. #47
    Dreadlord Tehfred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    North Carolina, US
    Posts
    967
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegemeat View Post
    I said group summon, not hearth. Not to mention it might be down

    And by channel I mean the general channel used on fleet, simply allow people to join it while out in the world questing so they don't have to be there to look for a group.
    I know what you said. It's the same thing. One requires 30 seconds more travel time than the other. Big whoop.

    Also, /cjoin LFG. Most servers have one now.
    http://fredplz.wordpress.com/ - Thoughts of an obsessive Resto Shaman

  8. #48
    The Patient
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    See Name
    Posts
    308
    PVP is 10-49 and 50 because they want to prevent tweaking for each bracket.

    Game has some issues; but overall is very good. Great game at least to go through it a few times but I really enjoy it.

  9. #49
    Stood in the Fire Nilan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Norn Iron
    Posts
    437
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldanir View Post
    Having played wow vanilla, I honestly feel that the bugs and problems are not severe enough to spoil the game for me. I'm having fun, each day I am looking forward to loging in. I guess that's what is important for each of us.
    I seem to remember bugs, and an annoying grindfest in WoW. I don't think SWTOR is as bad. Agree with OP on most of his points, especially his assertion that Biochem is your endgame profession - most guides i've read all agree on this, though artifice etc etc are handy for levelling. I also REALLY enjoy Pvp and to be fair in WoW I wasn't such a big fan, attitude seems to have been one thing players are generally doing better at though there are still a few twats around, lower numbers mean less of em.

    <Senate Special Order> | Red Eclipse EU

  10. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahraa View Post
    My guild is currently 8/10 Nightmare, with the exception of Bonethrasher and Soa. I can honestly say, that even looking from the first raid to the second, this game has the potential to become great. There were two bosses in the first raid that were nearly face roll on nightmare mode, Pylon's in particular, but I feel the others were solid and provided a great challenge. Then you look at the step up in Nightmare Kaggara's Palace (second raid), the mechanics to that fight were a challenge to all roles, and provided, if they can keep going forward with their raids, I truthfully cannot wait to experience the rest.
    I totally agree with you. I'm just starting nightmare modes and I haven't had this much fun raiding in years.

    SWTOR is a fantastic raider's game, and a great PVP game. It has bugs and things that need doing but look past that and it is just by far the best and most fun MMO game out there.

  11. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by MKing View Post
    Endgame is solid for me and my friends, very satisfying.

    PVP is decent, but anyone who expected pvp to be amazing in this game is an idiot since it's not really a PVP oriented game, yeah the story is about Rep vs Imp but that's more shown in story. PVP is just an added feature.
    I dont know if you trully believe that, but Raiding wise the encounters are completely joke even on Hardmode/Nightmare Mode and with tons of bugs that BW havent fixed yet.Not to mention Rakata Weps are 126 rating same lvl as Tionese and they havent fixed it yet.

    PVP atm is Broken as it always was and thanks to BW at 1.1 with 90% of Total Imperial population Worldwide get BattleMaster within a day and get Acess to tier3 PVP giving an unfair Advantage over to Republic.They didnt even bother take actions about it by Removing the items/Rollback on Valor resulted Alot of ppl not continue their subs.

    Not to mention the Advertising Empire so much pre game was one of the reasons we have the stupid Imbalance beatween both factions per server,and the differences on spells that Empire ones are Superior to Republic making ppl Roll Empire even on that aspect they failed.

    Im still Enjoying this game it has alot of fun once you get a Proper Guild, but its far from being competitive MMO atm.

    My Review would be 4/10

  12. #52
    To the OP, I think it was a solid review, I appreciate it, and personally agree with many of ponits.

    We can all nitpick, and say I disagree with this, but would add that, and the bottom line is this. SWTOR has flashes of greateness, but is also flawed, in both temporary and permanent ways. And it's either worth it to keep your sub, or cancel it, and that decision is each persons individually.

    For me personally, I went ahead and decided to finally try LFR, since I postponed playing any 4.3 with SWTOR release so close. And during my time on SWTOR I thought it was "fine" largely, kinda meh, nothing spectacular, but good enough. I jumped on to wow, and really it made me realize just how much I was overlooking during my time on SWTOR, just the fact that everything worked, nothing crashed, and I didn't have any loadscreen errors. I was sold, and I'm back to wow, but thats just my personal story. I still raid EV with my SWTOR guild, but I don't see that continueing long.

    Lastly, Rift is the best MMO out in my humble opinion, and Trion can dev circles around blizz or BW, but I don't have any friends playing that game, so it's hard to make a real commitment there, plus I imagine it'd be fairly difficult to catch up 3 if not 4 raid tiers deep into level 50 at this point :P

  13. #53
    Skyrim was a buggy piece of shit when it released and people herald it as the greatest game of all time. People simply don't give SWTOR a chance because it's competition for that other game.....


  14. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by Greevir View Post
    Skyrim was a buggy piece of shit when it released and people herald it as the greatest game of all time. People simply don't give SWTOR a chance because it's competition for that other game.....
    ppl give chance on SWTOR is that BioWare or EA on that matter doesnt read forums or apreciate the feedback from players to fix some of the major issues the game has.

  15. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by Greevir View Post
    Skyrim was a buggy piece of shit when it released and people herald it as the greatest game of all time. People simply don't give SWTOR a chance because it's competition for that other game.....
    1) They jerked people around on the grace period for the official launch after the early start

    2) They couldn't handle a real launch, and had to stagger it, ruining races to L50 as well as all server first kills for this raid tear

    This is why they were on thin ice for me personally, has nada to do with any competition, since theres no one else really launching simultaneously those two points could be compared to

  16. #56
    Dreadlord Vexies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    lost somewhere in the corn fields of middle America
    Posts
    982
    ppl give chance on SWTOR is that BioWare or EA on that matter doesnt read forums or apreciate the feedback from players to fix some of the major issues the game has.
    Really? So the constant patching to fix bugs, Modifiable UI and all the other features that are coming is not addressing the major issues or listening to the community eh? Please..

    1) They jerked people around on the grace period for the official launch after the early start

    2) They couldn't handle a real launch, and had to stagger it, ruining races to L50 as well as all server first kills for this raid tear

    This is why they were on thin ice for me personally, has nada to do with any competition, since theres no one else really launching simultaneously those two points could be compared to
    They didn't jerk anyone around nor was it a case of NOT being able to handle a real launch. The said from the very beginning how they where going to do the launch and did that. The fact that some winey self entitled gamers couldn't read is not Biowares fault or any indication of there ability to handle a launch. It went very smooth with little to no server down time at all. EVERYONE who pre-ordered got FREE time to play the game and there was absolutely no reason or benefit to "race" to 50 im sorry if your still stuck in the mind set of that "other" game.

  17. #57
    Playing SW:TOR made me appreciate WoW and Rift more. I'm playing both those games again right now. That's right, I'd rather pay for two games than play spend my money on TOR.

    ---------- Post added 2012-01-30 at 07:14 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Vexies View Post
    Really? So the constant patching to fix bugs, Modifiable UI and all the other features that are coming is not addressing the major issues or listening to the community eh? Please..



    They didn't jerk anyone around nor was it a case of NOT being able to handle a real launch. The said from the very beginning how they where going to do the launch and did that. The fact that some winey self entitled gamers couldn't read is not Biowares fault or any indication of there ability to handle a launch. It went very smooth with little to no server down time at all. EVERYONE who pre-ordered got FREE time to play the game and there was absolutely no reason or benefit to "race" to 50 im sorry if your still stuck in the mind set of that "other" game.
    Don't be ridiculous. The moddable UI should've been there from day one, the fact that it wasn't, is absurd. Almost as absurd as now 'marketing' the feature to your players as something new and great that's coming up.

    But no seriously, lets thank Bioware for their shady tactics, releasing a game before it was ready and then gallantly fixing their broken game in production.

  18. #58
    You know the laughable part is those that go on about how the game is so bad at the moment and to be honest im not even going to comment on how pathetic they sound , i know there is a big debate going on here wow lovers vs swtor lovers but i just cant comprehend how some immature people are hell bent on wanting to detroy credability on 1 game, its like being at a nursery school playground.
    Or even worse is those (yes unfortunatly its you wow players) that bash swtor to kingdom come then 10 mins later there in another thread whining that DS is getting nerfed or something else is happening in wow that makes you want to rage quit and cut yourself because blizz are so bad atm at decisions.
    Play 1 game, play the othe or play both , maybe if half of you actually logged in to play rather then sat on these forums then you might change your mind.

    P.s reviews are viruses aimed at weak minded people. Cant make your own decision on something? good luck in life.

  19. #59
    Dreadlord Vexies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    lost somewhere in the corn fields of middle America
    Posts
    982
    Don't be ridiculous. The moddable UI should've been there from day one, the fact that it wasn't, is absurd. Almost as absurd as now 'marketing' the feature to your players as something new and great that's coming up.

    But no seriously, lets thank Bioware for their shady tactics, releasing a game before it was ready and then gallantly fixing their broken game in production.
    Well you may find it ridiculous but then you are one of those people who feel those things HAVE to be in all MMO's I am not one of them. You dont like the game? fine don't play I wont cry over it but its hardly "shady tactics" lol None of that was advertised or promised. Is it nice to have? for those that like it sure, I could care less either way. Ridiculous? I think you need to reread what you just typed to understand the true meaning of that statement.

  20. #60
    Quote Originally Posted by Vexies View Post
    Well you may find it ridiculous but then you are one of those people who feel those things HAVE to be in all MMO's I am not one of them. You dont like the game? fine don't play I wont cry over it but its hardly "shady tactics" lol None of that was advertised or promised. Is it nice to have? for those that like it sure, I could care less either way. Ridiculous? I think you need to reread what you just typed to understand the true meaning of that statement.
    If you want to drink the koolaid and thank them for releasing common modern MMO features late, go ahead. It's that kind of garbage that will ensure this game is never wildly popular. I wanted to love it, but it was a pile of buggy crap. I can deal with bugs most of the time, but then to have it be completely lacking common sense features was too much.

    GTN is AWFUL, the UI is bad and not customizable, the story wasn't as great as everyone plays it out to be, it's just better than most MMOs, but poor in comparison to some of Bioware's own single player games. The voice acting was overused and your character spouts the same lines over and over again after a certain level. The wheel didn't even match what you were saying in many cases. Even IF the story was great, who cares? There's no staying power in a leveling story, it's over at 50. If you level alts and stay on your faction, you get 4 stories, then it repeats because you're playing the same class with a different talent tree.

    Race selection is terrible. Hooray for different colored skin humans. Yellow humans, green humans, red humans, human humans and humans with horns! Very original. Such a massive selection of races in the star wars universe, and that's what we get.

    The ability delay is deplorable and has been known about since long ago in beta. PvP is terrible. Huttball is PvE in the worst kind of way (lol I knocked you into fire and stunned you bro, I'm skilled). Voidstar is a door zergfest. Oh and don't forget high res textures that were there in beta, advertised, then taken out in release. Because supposedly our computers can't handle it. Forget the fact that my computer has handled far more sophisticated games than games with their mediocre graphics.

    The world isn't explorable. You're encouraged to follow a lighted path, literally, through most of the game. If you try to venture away you encounter walls, mountains and exhaustion zones. Oh except of course the exploring they WANT you to do (lighted path datacrons).

    I see so many people who love this game just because they wanted to from the beginning. Sad.
    Last edited by achaeon; 2012-01-30 at 12:29 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •