Thread: A SWTOR review.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
2
3
4
5
6
LastLast
  1. #61
    Quote Originally Posted by achaeon View Post
    But no seriously, lets thank Bioware for their shady tactics, releasing a game before it was ready and then gallantly fixing their broken game in production.
    How can you type that out without keeping a straight face seriously......take my post how you want but when you say things like that knowing full well you play games with worse problems or problems that have been ongoing for a hell of a long time is comical. Sorry but some people shouldnt be let loose on the internet.

  2. #62
    Quote Originally Posted by achaeon View Post
    I see so many people who love this game just because they wanted to from the beginning. Sad.
    *gasps* you know it could be because we just really like playing the game?!?! yes really!

    You've already stated your not playing and are back on Rift and WoW well go away from this subforum and post in them then.

  3. #63
    SWTOR still beats raiding Dragon Soul for 8-10 months while you wait for Kung-Fu Panda the X-Pack.

  4. #64
    Dreadlord Vexies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    lost somewhere in the corn fields of middle America
    Posts
    978
    If you want to drink the koolaid and thank them for releasing common modern MMO features late, go ahead. It's that kind of garbage that will ensure this game is never wildly popular. I wanted to love it, but it was a pile of buggy crap. I can deal with bugs most of the time, but then to have it be completely lacking common sense features was too much.

    GTN is AWFUL, the UI is bad and not customizable, the story wasn't as great as everyone plays it out to be, it's just better than most MMOs, but poor in comparison to some of Bioware's own single player games. The voice acting was overused and your character spouts the same lines over and over again after a certain level. The wheel didn't even match what you were saying in many cases. Even IF the story was great, who cares? There's no staying power in a leveling story, it's over at 50. If you level alts and stay on your faction, you get 4 stories, then it repeats because you're playing the same class with a different talent tree.

    Race selection is terrible. Hooray for different colored skin humans. Yellow humans, green humans, red humans, human humans and humans with horns! Very original. Such a massive selection of races in the star wars universe, and that's what we get.

    The ability delay is deplorable and has been known about since long ago in beta. PvP is terrible. Huttball is PvE in the worst kind of way (lol I knocked you into fire and stunned you bro, I'm skilled). Voidstar is a door zergfest. Oh and don't forget high res textures that were there in beta, advertised, then taken out in release. Because supposedly our computers can't handle it. Forget the fact that my computer has handled far more sophisticated games than games with their mediocre graphics.

    The world isn't explorable. You're encouraged to follow a lighted path, literally, through most of the game. If you try to venture away you encounter walls, mountains and exhaustion zones. Oh except of course the exploring they WANT you to do (lighted path datacrons).

    I see so many people who love this game just because they wanted to from the beginning. Sad.
    Ah another one who believes simply because I enjoy the game I am blind or some how brain washed eh? lol you really need to move on to another forum. What I see in your litany of points here.. is a whole lot of opinion and you know what, your entitled to it.. but that does not make it true. It is simply your opinion and I wont be so childish to say that you must of drank the hateraid to believe these things... dammit I think I just did.

    Lets take your points one by one shall we?

    1. GTN is what it is and can stand to use a lot of improvement and guess what? They heard the community didnt like it so are changing it. Its not shady or anything but a design decision that wasn't popular.

    2. Race selection. These races are in the world and cannon correct? Oh I see cause you dont like them or they didnt use the ones you like they are terrible I see.. again your opinion. Perhaps.. if you had read but I know that can be hard for a lot of folks you would have known these where going to be the races and why they used them LONG before the game released.

    3. perhaps your most relevant point.. Your computer doesn't handle the game well so your unhappy. The game could be more optimized to run better yes and they are addressing that.

    4. Now this one is just a complete fallacy but your determined to hate it so I would understand how you would just throw this ignorant statement out there... What about the world is NOT explorable? The worlds are HUGE many of them and you can go all over the place hunting for Datacrons or just to see whats there and have JUST as much reason to do so as other games. Is it free open world like say Skyrim? of course not its a MMO.. but then again its YOUR opinion and your entitled to it.. but it is in no way fact.

    In the end you have a right to dislike it just as much as I have a reason and a right to like it. I am not unaware of its flaws but don't find anything game breaking that takes away from me or my guilds enjoyment of this game. Im sorry you do and I wish you the best of luck in finding something to YOUR liking in your non factual opinion.

  5. #65
    Field Marshal
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Argent Dawn EU
    Posts
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by Chomag View Post
    My SWTOR review.

    Very fun to play for about a week. Then the fun curve takes a dive below sea level because this game has flawed mechanics on top of severely missing that magic touch that makes you want to keep on playing. The mood sink is roughly around level 25, at which point you will consider rerolling. You will reroll several characters and meet the same sink around level 25 after which, you will cancel your sub and rant on the official forums until you get banned for trolling, while taking a lot of spits from biodrones and SW nerds.

    Game is dead in the water, atm, and many servers are reporting crickets and tumbleweeds rolling through the fleet. Most of the people still playing are those who bought the game late and still have free time, and the SWG exiles who consider this game to be an epiphany compared to the shittastic SWG and they are absolutely correct, however a good smelling turd is still a turd. And, ofcourse, people who think this game sure beats facebook games in lack of anything else to play.
    To each their own, I guess. I felt the game didn't really hit its stride until Chapter 2, which is around lvl 30ish. After that, it only got better. It manages to combine some of the best parts of the other traditional Bioware games like Mass Effect and Dragon Age with some of the best of WoW and other MMOs. Not without some problems and bugs, sure, but the game has been out about a month and in that time, improvements have been made. I'm not sure how people can not be invested in the character stories either. Maybe people are simply not used to Bioware games, since the stories confuse them, or they feel they don't understand the point of them, or how it affects the final storyline outcome.

    As an old WoW player who really dislike the dullness of having to grind dumbed down LFR with 24 other idiots every week, SWTOR is a refreshing change. I'd also say that PvE content, both group and single, is harder than WoW's levelling up in its current state. It reminds me of the difficulty you encountered in Vanilla, which is nice. The GTN is not ideal, but once you get used to it, you can work around it. It's hardly difficult enough to handle to make it a game breaking thing in any case.

    SWTOR has bugs and problems, sure. It's a new game, it's what should be expected. My character got stuck once outside an instanced phase and a Bioware customer rep helped me get unstuck fairly quickly. Same happened to me lots of times in Vanilla, I fell through the world or got stuck, a GM was contacted and fixed it. It was no big deal then, it's no big deal now. People complain about Ilum being laggy, but fail to remember the horror that was the original Wintergrasp which was totally unplayable.

    Our server is pretty high pop, and warzone queues are more or less instant. People are always looking for people to group with and general chat is quite active. The community is also more of what I remember from Vanilla, people are generally polite and the awful culture of lolbois, lame Dirge jokes and trade spamming does not exist.

    Several of my wow server's raiding guilds quit and moved over to SWTOR and with the awfulness that was DS and the wait for kung-fu panda patch, I am quite happy to have migrated over myself. For the first time since 2005, I am cancelling my wow sub. I'm sure other people will continue to play wow, but over half the raiding guild on my (high pop) WoW server have fallen apart since Cata's launch and a lot of other WoW old timers I know have made the switch to SWTOR already, or they are considering it. I can totally get that people don't like SWTOR, but the doom and gloom predictions are going a bit overboard, imho.

    I've tried Warhammer and LOTRO, had peeks at Rift and Skyrim and nothing looks or feels as good as SWTOR. To me, at least.

  6. #66
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahraa View Post
    I tend to compare this game to Vanilla WoW
    And this is basically the main error that people rating SWTOR more than 75-80 do.

    SWTOR did not launch 7 years ago. Bioware had all the time in the world to copy the MMO features from WoW, but they preferred to focus on the single player experience leaving the rest far behind the market's standards.

    A game that hits the shelfs TODAY has to be compared with the ACTUAL competitors, not with 5 years ago competitors in the state they were 7 years ago.

    It's like a car magazine that reviewing the new Golf that comes out without automatic gear says "it's fine, after all 7 years ago no cars had automatic gear", forgetting that all the actual competitors offer the automatic gear for free.

  7. #67
    Quote Originally Posted by chiddie View Post
    And this is basically the main error that people rating SWTOR more than 75-80 do.

    SWTOR did not launch 7 years ago. Bioware had all the time in the world to copy the MMO features from WoW, but they preferred to focus on the single player experience leaving the rest far behind the market's standards.

    A game that hits the shelfs TODAY has to be compared with the ACTUAL competitors, not with 5 years ago competitors in the state they were 7 years ago.

    It's like a car magazine that reviewing the new Golf that comes out without automatic gear says "it's fine, after all 7 years ago no cars had automatic gear", forgetting that all the actual competitors offer the automatic gear for free.
    Yet people will endlessly forgive WoW for having aged graphics and very little voice acting because it was released 7 years ago. You can't have it both ways. WoW is far behind SWTOR in numerous ways, but you instead focus on the ways in which you think WoW is ahead of SWTOR.

    ---------- Post added 2012-01-30 at 02:26 PM ----------

    In my opinion, the problem is the ability glut. Far too many classes have their entire combat model based on being complex for the sake of complexity. Endless meaningless cooldowns and/or procs. It's not fun or interesting. The combat mechanics just are not terribly creative.

  8. #68
    I have 2x level 50s and couple of weeks ago I had the same opinion as most of the people defending SW:TOR saying that its great etc. It is a great game but I will not be paying for a game that has so much work left to be done, it's not the bugs (not just the bugs) but this game needs a lot of work. Specially combat needs to feel more responsive BW themselves said that's the most important thing in a MMO yet there are abilities in the game which cause your character to simply "cling" and do the same animation over and over but not actually do anything. Don't even get me started on the engine (that's the thing that worries me the most)... I have had the best leveling experience ever in SW:TOR it was amazing and fun and actually unhealthy for me because I couldn't stop playing until I would almost pass out but now that I've seen endgame (guild has nightmare on clear) I realize this game doesn't over much more than the leveling experience. They should've waited 2-3 more months and given the people what they want.

  9. #69
    Quote Originally Posted by chiddie View Post
    And this is basically the main error that people rating SWTOR more than 75-80 do.

    SWTOR did not launch 7 years ago. Bioware had all the time in the world to copy the MMO features from WoW, but they preferred to focus on the single player experience leaving the rest far behind the market's standards.

    A game that hits the shelfs TODAY has to be compared with the ACTUAL competitors, not with 5 years ago competitors in the state they were 7 years ago.

    It's like a car magazine that reviewing the new Golf that comes out without automatic gear says "it's fine, after all 7 years ago no cars had automatic gear", forgetting that all the actual competitors offer the automatic gear for free.
    What if some of us PREFER to have some of the recent "Advancements" of WoW not in the game? In reality -for me- WoW has been going down hill since mid WotLK. I have not agreed with the direction the development team took with WoW which is why my play become sporadic and then non-existent. SWTOR has a clean slate and so far I like the direction it is going, which is why I still enjoy the game and prefer it to WoW. SWTOR has a future I can look forward to, where WoW does not.

  10. #70
    Quote Originally Posted by NineSpine View Post
    Yet people will endlessly forgive WoW for having aged graphics and very little voice acting because it was released 7 years ago. You can't have it both ways. WoW is far behind SWTOR in numerous ways, but you instead focus on the ways in which you think WoW is ahead of SWTOR.

    ---------- Post added 2012-01-30 at 02:26 PM ----------

    In my opinion, the problem is the ability glut. Far too many classes have their entire combat model based on being complex for the sake of complexity. Endless meaningless cooldowns and/or procs. It's not fun or interesting. The combat mechanics just are not terribly creative.
    10 or 11 or whatever the number is now MILLION subscribers don't play WoW because they're nice and forgiving, sorry to tell you but WoW is still a better game, SW:TOR has the potential to be better but you have to realize right now it simply isn't. The only thing that I like in SW:TOR more than in WoW is the leveling experience, THAT'S IT, raids are better in WoW (even though the ones in cata are probably the worst ever released) instances are more fun, PvP is more responsive (don't give me the "it's a PvE game crap, if it should have been purely PvE they shouldn't even have bothered with PvP) the UI is better (yes even the default UI).

    If I were to compare the two and them being cars, I would say SW:TOR is a brand new corvette, flashy, fast, cool but after you drive it for a while you realize it's not really that amazing. WoW is a 10 year old Porsche 911 with all the new tools. It might be older but damn it's still pretty amazing.

  11. #71
    the amount of CC in PvP basically made me end my sub earlier this month, especially feeling totally worthless as a Sentinel, and being Republic and dealing with Ilum. Then you have Operatives dumb burst, Tracer Missile Tracer Missile, healers guarded by tanks being invincible, ridiculous control sorcs, healers that do stupid damage, DPS that do stupid healing. PvP is broken, PvE is not much different than any other game.

    at level 50, it feels like there`s less to do than there was in Rift for me, I can`t play the game anymore. I LOVE the way the game plays, I really enjoy the game in general, but for why I play the game at max level, I just can`t do it.

  12. #72
    Field Marshal
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Argent Dawn EU
    Posts
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by alemaite View Post
    10 or 11 or whatever the number is now MILLION subscribers don't play WoW because they're nice and forgiving, sorry to tell you but WoW is still a better game,
    Dunno what server you play on, but our Battlegroup is definitely populated with 90% people who play it because it is nice and forgiving and they would not have lasted a week back in Vanilla, or even TBC.

  13. #73
    Quote Originally Posted by Laseen View Post
    Dunno what server you play on, but our Battlegroup is definitely populated with 90% people who play it because it is nice and forgiving and they would not have lasted a week back in Vanilla, or even TBC.
    You need to read what people write, I never said it wasn't because the GAME is forgiving. Also SW:TOR is A LOT more forgiving than WoW specially raiding. I never had such an easy time clearing heroic (nightmare) content.

    LFR difficulty is about the same level as normal there are pugs all the time on my server clearing it.

  14. #74
    SWTOR has its issues and shortcomings, it's undeniable.

    However, I'm having fun playing it. I'm eagerly logging in, and looking forward to progress my story.

    To reuse chiddie's image, I prefer to have a car without automatic gear that goes to nice places rather than a car with automatic gear that stays parked because it has nowhere to go.

  15. #75
    Quote Originally Posted by Bongomadness View Post
    How can you type that out without keeping a straight face seriously......take my post how you want but when you say things like that knowing full well you play games with worse problems or problems that have been ongoing for a hell of a long time is comical. Sorry but some people shouldnt be let loose on the internet.
    He says it because its true, the game was released to early there are tons of problems and patch 1.1 takes the piss, ''we are adding 4 new bosses!!!!''...more like they released the game with an unfinished raid instance and have now finished it off, same goes for the pvp brackets that was added, they should of been in from day 1, at least there's always hope for patch 1.2, ya know when they smash the mmo market apart with the revolutionary idea of guild banks and a customized UI!!!

  16. #76
    Field Marshal
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Argent Dawn EU
    Posts
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by alemaite View Post
    You need to read what people write, I never said it wasn't because the GAME is forgiving. Also SW:TOR is A LOT more forgiving than WoW specially raiding. I never had such an easy time clearing heroic (nightmare) content.

    LFR difficulty is about the same level as normal there are pugs all the time on my server clearing it.
    That is totally beside the point as 90% of the playerbase will never touch heroic content in WoW. Or even normal content for that matter. The majority that makes up the paying playerbase of any MMO are never the hardcore raiders, ever. Your claim that high raid difficulty is what makes people stay just isn't the case. I'm not sure anyone can disagree with raiding and instancing having been dumbed down from Wrath and onwards. The early Cata dungeons and raids were somewhat better at this, but the later tiers have been underwhelming, meaning it's not exactly the difficult beefy content people are staying for.

    In fact, it makes total sense for entry tier raiding to be simple and straight forward, with the later tiers being harder. (Which is btw why DS fails: it is boring and simplistic despite being the pinnacle of Cata raiding, but that is beside the point here.)

    In the end, only you can decide what you like to do. To me, one more MMO just adds more choice, which is a good thing.


    Quote Originally Posted by Flimsy View Post
    He says it because its true, the game was released to early there are tons of problems and patch 1.1 takes the piss, ''we are adding 4 new bosses!!!!''...more like they released the game with an unfinished raid instance and have now finished it off, same goes for the pvp brackets that was added, they should of been in from day 1, at least there's always hope for patch 1.2, ya know when they smash the mmo market apart with the revolutionary idea of guild banks and a customized UI!!!
    Heh, guess you were not around when UBRS was end game in WoW? Or when you spent 6+ hours clearning BRD.
    Last edited by Laseen; 2012-01-30 at 03:13 PM.

  17. #77
    Quote Originally Posted by Flimsy View Post
    He says it because its true, the game was released to early there are tons of problems and patch 1.1 takes the piss, ''we are adding 4 new bosses!!!!''...more like they released the game with an unfinished raid instance and have now finished it off, same goes for the pvp brackets that was added, they should of been in from day 1, at least there's always hope for patch 1.2, ya know when they smash the mmo market apart with the revolutionary idea of guild banks and a customized UI!!!
    Sadly this is the mentality many people seem to have. If it is missing some features from WoW (or other games) the game is not complete and its garbage. But even if it would have many of the same features as WoW they would just say it was a "WoW Clone" and dismiss it. I'm not sure there will ever be a new MMO release that will make people with this mindset happy.

  18. #78
    Over 9000! Glorious Leader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    In my bunker leading uprisings
    Posts
    9,407
    Quote Originally Posted by Chomag View Post

    Game is dead in the water, atm, and many servers are reporting crickets and tumbleweeds rolling through the fleet. Most of the people still playing are those who bought the game late and still have free time, and the SWG exiles who consider this game to be an epiphany compared to the shittastic SWG and they are absolutely correct, however a good smelling turd is still a turd. And, ofcourse, people who think this game sure beats facebook games in lack of anything else to play.
    .
    That's neat. I'm sure you have evidence to back that up? didn't think so.

  19. #79
    Quote Originally Posted by Jahrastafari View Post
    SWTOR still beats raiding Dragon Soul for 8-10 months while you wait for Kung-Fu Panda the X-Pack.
    so true, mate, so true

  20. #80
    Quote Originally Posted by NineSpine View Post
    Yet people will endlessly forgive WoW for having aged graphics and very little voice acting because it was released 7 years ago. You can't have it both ways. WoW is far behind SWTOR in numerous ways, but you instead focus on the ways in which you think WoW is ahead of SWTOR.

    ---------- Post added 2012-01-30 at 02:26 PM ----------

    In my opinion, the problem is the ability glut. Far too many classes have their entire combat model based on being complex for the sake of complexity. Endless meaningless cooldowns and/or procs. It's not fun or interesting. The combat mechanics just are not terribly creative.
    Why putting in te line the graphics? WoW has a 7 year old graphics, it's clear that people who play it today don't care that much about the graphics. Noone has to forgive it for his graphic, it was not so incredible even when Vanilla was released.

    What i was saying is that you have to compare SWTOR at LEAST with WoW in WotlK state. And, apart from the graphics and the voice acting, everything else is, well, worse. This does not mean that you cannot love SWTOR, it simply means that someone inside the mmo scene that reviews mmos for work simply cannot rate SWTOR as it is more than 80 being very generous.

    I would like to see a list of things, apart from graphics and voice acting (we all agree SWTOR is obvioulsy superior), in which WoW is "far behind" SWTOR.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •