Thread: A SWTOR review.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chiddie View Post

I would like to see a list of things, apart from graphics and voice acting (we all agree SWTOR is obvioulsy superior), in which WoW is "far behind" SWTOR.

Don't need a list. Just need one thing. WoW is far behind SWTOR in the most important thing. FUN. Deal with that as you will.

Deleted
    i'M still playing SWTOR because i like its single player part (not interessed in the MMO part im afraid...)... its very very cool to advance as your own story in the starwars universe and even though its repetitive, i'm still enjoying switching between lower level characters.

But, i'm doing it because :

a) I don't have any better game to play atm (will change soon...)
    b) i love starwars
    c) i think atm its better to spend € 12 to play 30 more days in a single player part of the game than to buy another game i probably won't even like (nothing good and new atm in the market for me) - I NEVER pirate any game, so its a hit or miss everytime i buy a game.

This will change soon as there is some games out there that i'm sure to buy...

Quote Originally Posted by Butterland View Post
    What Bioware got right :
    -A nice storyline that goes from level 1 to 50 for each class.
    -Well done phased zones which also support party players.
    -Out of combat regeneration ability for every class.
    -Out of combat passive sprint.

What Bioware got wrong :
    -Too much ressources spent on voice acting. Main storyline ? Ok. Every single quest ? Quickly gets boring.
    -PvP brackets.
    -Copy paste of WoW's talents system (which is archaic in the first place) and multiple classes.
    -Terrible UI that offers no customization.
    -Poor optimization.
    -Poor combat engine.
    -First raid patch consisting of zombies ? Really ?
    -PvP objectives and medals.
    You should be a little more specific. What's wrong with PvP objectives and medals? I will agree that the optimization is not great. The zombies are just preference. Who doesn't like zombies? I will give you PvP brackets, but the queue times would be terrible otherwise. Maybe like 10-30, 31-49 and 50 instead? The skills really make a difference. a level 11 cant fight a level 49.

What's bad about the UI? It should be customizable, I agree. You can always skip the nonstory line quests, that's what I started doing and it helps a lot. They aren't that interesting anyway. But I agree, there had to be a lot of time spent on voicing that "Go kill 10 of these guys" questline. Seems like a waste of resources.

Quote Originally Posted by WarFalcon1 View Post
    Sadly this is the mentality many people seem to have. If it is missing some features from WoW (or other games) the game is not complete and its garbage. But even if it would have many of the same features as WoW they would just say it was a "WoW Clone" and dismiss it. I'm not sure there will ever be a new MMO release that will make people with this mindset happy.
    You can decide not to use an existing feature.

You cannot decide to use a feature that does not exist.

The difference is simply this.

In my opinion, it's better having a feature turned off than not being able to use it because it does not exist.

For example, you may like the "thrilling" of walking to an instance entrance every time instead of using a meeting stone, but you can't say it's cooler or better that using the meeting stone itself.

OP Quote: Knowing people outside my guild is great fun and it's different to how insular my community has been on WoW, I don't speak to anyone on Ghostlands who aint in my guild and I don't need to, thats a curse and a blessing. In WoW I'm effectively alone and adrift in a sea of anonymity, on SWTOR I'm chained to the deck with my fellow oars men and theres no where to hide if I'm being a jerk.

THIS THIS THIS a THOUSAND TIMES OVER!

Do this + new content at a FAST clip and watch what happens with the game.

The #1 advantage of SWTOR has not even come to light because it's new. If they really can deliver new content, new planets, etc quickly it will be a major shift in the MMO genre. There is currently no developer or studio that delivers content faster than a 6 month cycle. Yet, BW delivered new content within 1 month of release. Now let's see when the next content addition comes out and see how everyone looks at the game then.

Quote Originally Posted by Atrahasis View Post
    Don't need a list. Just need one thing. WoW is far behind SWTOR in the most important thing. FUN. Deal with that as you will.
    The concept of having fun is personal and cannot be estimated.

Noone said it's impossible having more fun with SWTOR than with WoW. Indeed, this does not make SWTOR an overall better game, as it is today.

Quote Originally Posted by Flimsy View Post
    He says it because its true, the game was released to early there are tons of problems and patch 1.1 takes the piss, ''we are adding 4 new bosses!!!!''...more like they released the game with an unfinished raid instance and have now finished it off, same goes for the pvp brackets that was added, they should of been in from day 1, at least there's always hope for patch 1.2, ya know when they smash the mmo market apart with the revolutionary idea of guild banks and a customized UI!!!
    wow, where does all your anger come from? there is no need to be so aggressive because of a video game.
    As a very active pvp player, i would not have welcomed the idea of a day 1 level 50 bracket, because that would have meant weeks of extreme waiting times.
    that they added it later was a very good decision from bioware, as were many others they made.

I would like to see a list of things, apart from graphics and voice acting (we all agree SWTOR is obvioulsy superior), in which WoW is "far behind" SWTOR.
    Crafting
    Companion System
    Leveling experience
    General Difficulty (Not end game content)
    Player Housing (Ships) and Future Possibilities
    Mini Games

TOR is missing alot of great things that you might find in WoW.
    TOR has a lot of things that I would miss if I played WoW again.

TOR's potential is soooo much better than WoW's at this point. Whether or not BW cashes in and realizes the games potential is another story altogether.
    I'm here until at least early summer time to see what they do with the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    The concept of having fun is personal and cannot be estimated.

Noone said it's impossible having more fun with SWTOR than with WoW. Indeed, this does not make SWTOR an overall better game, as it is today.
    Yes it does. Are you honestly trying to measure a video game by OBJECTIVE CRITERIA? The whole point is to have fun. Features implemented are implemented for the purpose of fun. Everything Blizzard or BW does is in the goal of chasing the illusive "fun".

Anything I could give you as a list you would just break down and say its opinion anyway. What's the point in providing you a list? Like I think PVP in SWTOR is awesome. Miles ahead of warcraft. I NEVER PVPD in warcraft over the course of 6 years. I absolutely love pvp in SWTOR and will continue to do it. I never played a melee in Warcraft, tried leveling a warrior got bored rather quickly. I absolutely love my JK Sentinel even though hes squishy as fuck. I could put those on a list but I'd have to wear a fire retardant suit.
    Last edited by Glorious Leader; 2012-01-30 at 04:13 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kronik85 View Post

On that theme then community is one aspect I think this game shines, and thats because we are trapped on one server with a certain group of players and you make the best of it. Knowing people outside my guild is great fun and it's different to how insular my community has been on WoW, I don't speak to anyone on Ghostlands who aint in my guild and I don't need to, thats a curse and a blessing. In WoW I'm effectively alone and adrift in a sea of anonymity, on SWTOR I'm chained to the deck with my fellow oars men and theres no where to hide if I'm being a jerk. Theres no future in this though, it's something that will eventually drain away like it did in WoW but I'm gonna enjoy it's whilst its here and I hope BW try to preserve it, it's actually SWTOR's best USP atm and I think this resonates with other MMO players who have felt abit isolated lately.
    This part especially can't be emphasized enough and it's probably the only redeeming feature SWTOR has at this point. I also concur with every other point you make about the game, especially with the engine being an utter turd.

But community is what keeps people playing and what has me excited about the game. It's the heart and soul of an MMO.

I do not think swtor has better graphics, I still think WoW is the best looking MMO and thats one of the reasons why its still number 1.

And I think the whole leveling process is much better in swtor. starting with the classes that feel much more powerful and you feel much more immersed with your character. there are a lot of heroic quests like mini dungeons, there are more dungeons (one every 3 levels) and the mini games offer more diversitiy. gameplay is better, too, the combat might not be as smooth as in WoW, but the companions and the differently strong enemies offer more exciting gamelay in leveling than WoW does and it introduces new players to the trinity endgame gameplay.

And endgame, well, its not as good as WoWs, but I think we can all agree that its much better than we all expected, most certainly the haters

Quote Originally Posted by jearle View Post
    TOR's potential is soooo much better than WoW's at this point. Whether or not BW cashes in and realizes the games potential is another story altogether.
    I'm here until at least early summer time to see what they do with the game.
    This is why I play SWTOR. WoW has really nothing more to do, it has been there and done that. It was great for its time and is still the best MMO I have played. But the way Blizz is going with it is a huge turn off, and I don't look forward to anything about it because of this. WoW has zero potential at this point.

SWTOR has a clean slate and so far I like the direction it is taking.
    -Is it as good as WoW was in its prime? No, its not.
    -Does it have the potential to be as good or better? I think it does.
    -Is it better then WoW currently? For my taste yes, for others no.
    Last edited by WarFalcon1; 2012-01-30 at 04:04 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by moff View Post
    I do not think swtor has better graphics, I still think WoW is the best looking MMO and thats one of the reasons why its still number 1.
    You may not think swtors graphics are better, but WoW is better than Aion or Rift?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Butterland View Post
    What Bioware got wrong :
    -Too much ressources spent on voice acting. Main storyline ? Ok. Every single quest ? Quickly gets boring.
    -PvP brackets.
    -Copy paste of WoW's talents system (which is archaic in the first place) and multiple classes.
    -Terrible UI that offers no customization.
    -Poor optimization.
    -Poor combat engine.
    -First raid patch consisting of zombies ? Really ?
    -PvP objectives and medals.
    1. That is subjective, I find it its just right.
    2. What? Oh shut up will you? Weeks ago people were crying for Brackets.
    3. WoW is the inventor of everything that MMOs have ... bet you still believe that right?
    4. Agree, fixes coming next major patch.
    5. Agree.
    6. Don't understand it, what you mean combat engine? The style and smoothness of combat? Elaborate.
    7. Oh god, you obviously don't understand Star Wars lore, before spilling out nonense get your facts straight.
    8. Hmm? How is this bad lol? Sure the medal system and objective system is broken but it is a good implementation.

---------- Post added 2012-01-30 at 04:04 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by gatorfan View Post
    The #1 advantage of SWTOR has not even come to light because it's new. If they really can deliver new content, new planets, etc quickly it will be a major shift in the MMO genre. There is currently no developer or studio that delivers content faster than a 6 month cycle. Yet, BW delivered new content within 1 month of release. Now let's see when the next content addition comes out and see how everyone looks at the game then.
    Next content patch coming before or sometime in March.

---------- Post added 2012-01-30 at 04:06 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by WarFalcon1 View Post
    This is why I play SWTOR. WoW has really nothing more to do, it has been there and done that. It was great for its time and is still the best MMO I have played. But the way Blizz is going with it is a huge turn off, and I don't look forward to anything about it because of this. WoW has zero potential at this point.

SWTOR has a clean slate and so far I like the direction it is taking.
    -Is it as good as WoW was in its prime? No, its not.
    -Does it have the potential to be as good or better? I think it does.
    -Is it better then WoW currently? For my taste yes, for others no.
    Pretty much sums it up for me as well. Feel the same way
    -K

I agree with the OP's review for the most part, but I feel it missed over half the game.

Good:
    Companions - they could have done better, but it's still a good concept

Voice acting - until dungeons/level 50

Leveling 1-49 - this is probably the #1 reason to buy the game

It's more casual than WoW

Bad:
    PvP - both the rewards and the PvP itself, "Expertise" (the PvP stat) is worse than resilience and RNG bags are lol, in addition Ilum (the PvP zone) is a completely failed experiment.

Graphics/Engine - possibly the most poorly optimized game I have ever played

UI - UI is like one of those amateur WoW custom UIs, overlapping elements, scale is way too large, cannot customize anything at all

Combat log - there is none, whoever thought this was a good idea should be fired, the reason this is significant is because when you're raiding, or in PvP, and something happens to you, you learn by cracking open your combat log to see how to avoid what hit you, or if you encounter a bug (which there are A LOT of), you can use the combat log to properly report a bug.

Customer Support - there are no GMs, you get automated responses for tickets and often times they ask you to follow up, which they expect you to do via email, there is no in game "reply" for tickets.

Environments - Very bland, lots of copy/paste areas

Load times - I timed my load time and it's over a minute depending on what I'm zoning into, I've tried community posted fixes but none work. EAWare blames customers for having bad PCs, which is not the case at all.

Despite all of this, I am paying for a subscription because I dislike WoW right now and am burned out on it. However, there is a game coming out with a significant patch next month and that will probably mark the end of my SWTOR sub. It's fun because it's new, but it's not good enough to compete on a longer term. It lacks any lasting appeal.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chomag View Post
    http://technorati.com/entertainment/...tar-wars-the1/

To which you will obviously respond that it's one guy's article. Funny how when anyone doesn't agree with a statement, the author of that statement is obviously part of a minority or simply doesn't know what he's talking about in spite of being many people making that statement BUT when someone does agree with a statement, then it automatically gets Divine Truth status.

As I have said before, De Nial is not a river in Egypt, yet many bathe in it.
    Except that guy in the review does the same thing you do. It may as well have been written by you. I'll quote

Yes, yes it is. And there is quite a bit of solid evidence that people are abandoning ship. But what about those who say there is no problem?

It can't be denied that Star Wars: The Old Republic sold well. Estimates are ranging from between 1 million to 1.5 million sales. However these don't account fully for piracy. It was a major sales hit, but these games live on subscriptions. And subscriptions may be a problem for this game.
    Any numbers at all? I'd be more than willing to hear a case if it was backed up with some numbers. Watch ill do the same thing only in reverse:

No, no its not. Theirs quite a bit of solid evidence its not
    Can I prove it? Nope. I can give you anecdotal evidence. Last night que on my server, 180 reps in fleet. Etc etc none of that is actual proof though.
    Last edited by Glorious Leader; 2012-01-30 at 04:18 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chomag View Post
    http://technorati.com/entertainment/...tar-wars-the1/

To which you will obviously respond that it's one guy's article. Funny how when anyone doesn't agree with a statement, the author of that statement is obviously part of a minority or simply doesn't know what he's talking about in spite of being many people making that statement BUT when someone does agree with a statement, then it automatically gets Divine Truth status.

As I have said before, De Nial is not a river in Egypt, yet many bathe in it.
    The only part of the Article id agree with this is possibly that BW has chosen the wrong game engine. Everything else is based upon opinion and opinion only by a writer who no one ever heard of. The game will have at least 100k - 500K subs which at that point it will most likely go F2P.
    -K

It seems that everyone is comparing SWTOR to WoW and I don't blame them because WoW has been the standard for MMO's. I have to laugh every time I see someone say SWTOR is broken. So if that is true how do you log in and play the game? A couple of things that I notice and it's just my opinion as is every other person that response to this topic. SWTOR is going on its 2nd month and for a game of this size to run as well as it has at launch is a credit to the Devs that put this project together. It does need some work to make the play experience more enjoyable, but really give it time. Having played WoW 7yrs I can tell you that I have experienced many bugs and server crashes and "broken" PvP etc... People that have played WoW for that amount of time will agree. I see a lot of people saying that SWTOR needs add-ons and many other things. Is it to the point that we want to make this game look like WoW? The ability to not have add-ons can make you a better player if you are willing to try. Reason being is that you are in control of your toon and not some add-on telling you what to do at what time and so on. I agree it will need tweaks here and there but most of these suggestions have come from people based on what add-ons that they currently have installed on WoW or a couple other games from what I see. PvP is rough at the moment for certain classes which is to be expected with a new game and issues are being addressed. Give the Devs some more time to address issues and fix bugs. The main priority is not what add-ons need to be installed, meters, or other tweaks that a long time running game already has in place but to get this game stable and playable it will come in time if the game is successful.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by gatorfan View Post

. There is currently no developer or studio that delivers content faster than a 6 month cycle.
    Umm Rift and Trion say Hi!

I think my main concern with how fast BW can chuck out content is all the voice acting and cut scenes. The thing that is the best part of the game may be the thing that makes slow content. It must be pretty time consuming to make new stuff. Thus far all they have put out are a few new bosses i think? How long will it take to add new quests and zones when they all need to have Voice acting and Cut scenes for all of it?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Atrahasis View Post
    Except that guy in the review does the same thing you do. I'll quote

Any numbers at all? I'd be more than willing to hear a case if it was backed up with some numbers.
    Wait what, TOR being pirated? Is the the guy high? You still need valid account, game key to be able to play.
    -K