10+ Year Old Account

What to upgrade?

A few months ago I bought a new computer, it's pretty good, but I want to upgrade some parts. And there's also something that's been bugging me, every half hour or hour my computer glitches 0.5 seconds, the sound 'crashes', and everything stops reacting. According to my G15 keyboard my FPS goes to a flat 0, and my CPU usage goes to 100%. I'm not sure what is causing this, so I thought I'd ask this at the same time.

Here's my spec:

CPU: AMD Phenom 2 x6 1100T 3.3 GHz
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 560 Ti 1GB
    RAM: 8GB
    Motherboard: Asus M5A78L-M/usb3
    Case: Cooler Master CM 690 II
    Power: 850Watt
    Cooling: Standard Cooling
    Harddisk: 1TB (+500GB extern)
    Monitor: AOC 24" 1920x1080

I have a budget of ~160 euros atm, but I'm willing to spend 250-300 euros on the upgrade depending what it is. I've been deciding wether or not to buy a new Motherboard because mine is cheap, and I've also been wondering if that has been the issue with my previously mentioned 'error'.

Thank you in advance

You should be checking out crashlog, but the problem sounds like overheating is most likely source of problem. Check through the troubleshooting stickies and report back with all relevant data.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by stalkerzzzz View Post
    I would buy a SSD.
    Any SSD you would recommend?

And Vesse, it's not overheating, I checked any everything is below 40 degrees (celcius) and it says it's perfectly safe, plus it can also happen when the pc is on for less than 30 minutes, and it's entirely cool. The case is cool and not even close to being 'warm' not even when running BF3 on High

Quote Originally Posted by Vorz View Post
    Any SSD you would recommend?
    You could look into a crucial M4 or, if you prefer the ones with a sandforce controller, you might take a look at the OCZ Vertetx 3, Kingston Hyper X, ADATA S511.

Quote Originally Posted by Vorz View Post
    A few months ago I bought a new computer, it's pretty good, but I want to upgrade some parts. And there's also something that's been bugging me, every half hour or hour my computer glitches 0.5 seconds, the sound 'crashes', and everything stops reacting. According to my G15 keyboard my FPS goes to a flat 0, and my CPU usage goes to 100%. I'm not sure what is causing this, so I thought I'd ask this at the same time.
    Honestly I'd try to figure out what is causing the strange behavior first before swapping parts out. Sounds like some background program is eating up your CPU cycles (anti-virus? a virus? a buggy driver acting up?) Or maybe the CPU is throttling itself down to a lower power state for some reason (heat, but you said that's not an issue... could be the motherboard acting funky, have you tried updating the BIOS?)
    Last edited by Adappy; 2012-01-29 at 09:55 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adappy View Post
    Honestly I'd try to figure out what is causing the strange behavior first before swapping parts out. Sounds like some background program is eating up your CPU cycles (anti-virus? a virus? a buggy driver acting up?) Or maybe the CPU is throttling itself down to a lower power state for some reason (heat, but you said that's not an issue... could be the motherboard acting funky, have you tried updating the BIOS?)
    I had a virus before this all happend, but I got rid of it, when I had the virus everything would stop reacting and I had to reboot the entire comp, then I got rid of it and the result was this behaviour.

And I'll check on the background program, see if that has anything to do with it.

I'll check for new CPU and GPU drivers, I think I still have the latest GPU driver tho.

And how am I supposed to update my BIOS?

I actually had an issue with a graphics driver that would crash every so often. I would check the event log to see if it caught anything. I couldn't figure out how to fix it. After a clean install, the issue was fixed and I'm happy. If you're going to get a new mainboard or a new SSD, you'll have to reinstall, so the problem should be fixed then. I have an Crucial M4 and it words great. I would recommend it.