Deleted

Question Right CPU for this build: mainly WoW 1920x1080?

Hi folks,

It's time for me to get a new rig, so that I can play WoW with decent fps at 1920x1080 resolution. I'll probably dabble a bit with SWTOR and some of the newer games (mainly shooters).

I won't be overclocking this rig and from what I've read at Tom's Hardware, the i5-2400 will be just as good for me as the i5-2500k. The specs I'm going for are the following:

Motherboard: Asus P8Z68-V GEN3
    PSU: Corsair HX 650W 80+ Bronze Modular
    CPU: Intel Core i5 2400 3,1GHz
    RAM: Corsair 8GB (2x4096MB) CL8 1600Mhz VENGEANCE
    GPU: Asus GeForce GTX 560Ti 1024MB DirectCU II
    HDD: OCZ SSD Agility 3 120GB & 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black
    DVD: DVD±RW Samsung 22X DL
    Case: NZXT H2

My questions:

Is this build enough to pump out decent fps at the 1920x1080 resolution? Is anything unbalanced in this setup, I'm thinking mainly about the CPU?

10+ Year Old Account

Pokemon Friend Code:2406-5530-6363 Ghost Safari! PM me to add you!

Blazefury5 is absolutely correct, the i5 2500(k or non-k; I'd go with the k, even if you don't plan on overclocking right now) outperforms the 2400, it is worth the extra $40. If you need to shave the cost down elsewhere to make up for the increased price of the CPU, you can downgrade to a motherboard like this one, or get a Western Digital Caviar Blue instead of the Caviar Black.
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2012-01-30 at 04:43 PM.

Gorgeous case. You won't be able to use the 1 usb 3.0 on the top if you switch to a motherboard without an internal usb 3.0 header but its not a big deal. The 3 usb 2.0 ports on the top will still work.

Deleted
    Tbh I would prolly downgrade the motherboard anyway. The AsRock motherboard noteworthynerd linked is really great for the price.
    And the diffrence between a $120 and a $160 motherboard isnt that huge to begin with.

So I would downgrade the motherboard to the AsRock Z68-Gen3 and upgrade the CPU to a i5 2500K.
    You can easily get the CPU to run at 3.9-4.1GHz with minimum overclocking.
    Last edited by mmoc3172abfeb3; 2012-01-30 at 04:11 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DivineZero View Post
    Tbh I would prolly downgrade the motherboard anyway. The AsRock motherboard noteworthynerd linked is really great for the price.
    And the diffrence between a $120 and a $160 motherboard isnt that huge to begin with.

So I would downgrade the motherboard to the AsRock Z68-Gen3 and upgrade the CPU to a i5 2500K.
    You can easily get the CPU to run at 3.9-4.1GHz with minimum overclocking.
    Thanks to all of you who've replied, your insights are invaluable. I completely agree, for the sake of what I might want to do in the future, I'll go with the 2500k. Is the 560Ti a "balanced" match, or should I be looking for something beefier? Right now I'm mainly going to be playing WoW in 1920x1080, so not all that demanding methinks.

The 560 Ti is considered to be the best "bang for your buck" NVIDIA card on the market. There are better (for sure), but they are much more expensive (the 570 averages around $350 and the 580 is still $499+).

You may wanna consider getting a 560 Ti with 2GB of RAM instead of 1, that way it'll last longer.

If you're just now building this computer, why not wait a few months? The new Intel processors are due out in April, so the current Sandy Bridge line should see a price drop as they begin introducing the newer, more powerful Ivy Bridge models. You could hold out for an Ivy Bridge, or get a 2500k then and save some money. Just my suggestion

Deleted
    Yeah the 560Ti is more than enough for WoW and still should be able to run most new games on high graphics.

This is almost the exact build i'm about to start on.
    Though i'm going for a 2500k and two the Agility 3's and a coolmaster case.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by noteworthynerd View Post
    You may wanna consider getting a 560 Ti with 2GB of RAM instead of 1, that way it'll last longer.
    Price difference isn't that big, found 2GB versions of the 560 Ti which seemed quite reasonable (the same MSI ones you've got in SLI). Wow, I think I'm ready to spend some cash now

Thanks guys! Now the excruciating wait commences on delivery

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    lol any microcenters nearby? that will save you money and the wait nice build you got there, and very smart to spend a few bills more for the 2500k..
    Intel i5-2500k@4.4ghz
    Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3
    Gigabyte N560OC 1gb gpu
    Corsair 2x4gb
    Antec v2 Two Hundred
    Razer Blackwidow Ultimate
    Razer Naga

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Being a 2500K owner, I'll back up everyone above me suggesting it.

Also Noteworthynerd suggested the ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 board.... only $118 now? Holy crap. That is a bloody steal for all the features it has. BUY BUY BUY
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water