1. #1

    Ranged Target Following Opinions

    I have noticed that in PVP as a melee class I could never seem to run through ranged classes to avoid their attacks and it turns out that when they have you targeted they will always successfully hit you regardless if you run through them or not (barring interrupts or using los). Does this target following seem fair/balanced, or does it give ranged classes too much of an advantage over melee?

  2. #2
    Herald of the Titans
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,739
    Quote Originally Posted by bstap04 View Post
    I have noticed that in PVP as a melee class I could never seem to run through ranged classes to avoid their attacks and it turns out that when they have you targeted they will always successfully hit you regardless if you run through them or not (barring interrupts or using los). Does this target following seem fair/balanced, or does it give ranged classes too much of an advantage over melee?
    Let me start off by saying that SWTOR is SWTOR and not WoW, everything isn't supposed to be the same. Furthermore, I think it's great that is is this way because then they can actually try to balance it out by damage, interrupts and mobility. I remember a lot of times when I tried to PvP in WoW and faced say a Rogue who had a slight delay, together with sprint and running all over me there was no way for me to hit a single non channel cast spell at all because I was never facing him, to give you an idea of what it was like if you have never experience it, he was at two places at the same time and never where I actually saw him.

    In my opinion you shouldn't be able to interrupt spells by running through them, you have interrupts and stuns for that. Also to point out another difference, in SWTOR if you run out of sight from someone channeling an ability on you it will immediately interrupt, whereas in WoW channels continue even through walls.

  3. #3
    The Patient
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    205
    i believe this is only on channeled shots? such as BH's unload?
    i dont auto target and auto turn to follow targets.
    id have to go home and test but even casted abilities dont auto turn? (i usually hold right mouse and turn to follow people, like i did in wow)so maybe i havnt noticed

  4. #4
    Moderator Nyanmaru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Eschborn
    Posts
    5,344
    Holding down the right mouse button cancels "auto face targets" and you get a "you don't face the target"-ish message.

  5. #5
    It's very annoying when I go around them to los the cast (grav shot or tracer missile for example), and they just turn automatically. It's pretty unfair, imo.

    And when I'm on my sniper, it's more of a quality of life thing really. I just push less buttons, same end result.
    Last edited by Larynx; 2012-01-30 at 05:34 AM.

  6. #6
    I think it's a pretty bad system, but only because they added 2 classes which need to be behind the target for the best moves.

  7. #7
    Moderator Nyanmaru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Eschborn
    Posts
    5,344
    Quote Originally Posted by Zurai View Post
    I think it's a pretty bad system, but only because they added 2 classes which need to be behind the target for the best moves.
    "the best moves" ? I recall one move for the assassin that is crap unless you get a proc. (dunno about OP, but either I'm stunned anyway or they are no threat)
    And also these moves were never meant to be used against someone that focuses on you. They are meant to be backstabbing tools when someone turns their back on you or reveals a flaw.

  8. #8
    I think it's nice for latency. As someone who plays overseas and gets 250+ms, I realize the bunny hopping around ranged that you can do in WoW that makes it easy to outplay bad ranged. With auto-face, someone with better latency doesn't have an advantage just because he got around you quicker than you could turn.
    My Cracked articles, writing blog, and Twitter.

    The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

    Want to chat with people who aren't idiots? Join our IRC.

  9. #9
    Mechagnome gualdhar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Tacoma, WA
    Posts
    679
    I'm not sure if you've ever noticed, but melee classes also auto-face their targets. Try running straight through a boss or something, then while facing away hit an ability. You'll turn around.
    Eire - 50 Balance and Kinetic Combat Shadow, Master Zhar Lestin server. Ace guild

  10. #10
    I like it , feels more dynamic and fluid

    Awesome sig by the mighty Voix

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by gualdhar View Post
    I'm not sure if you've ever noticed, but melee classes also auto-face their targets. Try running straight through a boss or something, then while facing away hit an ability. You'll turn around.
    But what kind of melee runs around with their finger not holding down right click?

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Nye View Post
    "the best moves" ? I recall one move for the assassin that is crap unless you get a proc. (dunno about OP, but either I'm stunned anyway or they are no threat)
    And also these moves were never meant to be used against someone that focuses on you. They are meant to be backstabbing tools when someone turns their back on you or reveals a flaw.
    Both classes "backstab" are crucial for maximum damage potential, and as for not being used on someone that focuses you, that's completely wrong, they are to be used on everyone hitting you or not, and while they are easier to be used on someone that already has their back turned, you should be able to run behind them and have them have to ward it off, this normally also creates pressure, stress and mistakes, leading to the opening from being vulnerable to the behind attack, being able to avoid it by just spamming your damage casts even to the point where you run through and the player just snaps to the opposite direction removes a lot of melee pressure, while other melee don't have behind attacks, it's still better to be behind your target, so on the pressure front, you create little to none as melee on caster dps.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •