Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Fiber-optic cable internet

Apparently this is some new kind of internet, It's supposed to be a ton faster. Anyone has this?

Is 10m/bit fiber-optic cable internet faster then a normal ADSL 10m/bit line?

Deleted
    Well no, 10mbit fibre would obviously be the same speed as a 10mbit ADSL connection (theoretical, ADSL would still be susceptible to line length, noise etc). But fibre is usually a lot faster than that. Here in the UK, the fibre connections by BT are offered at 40mbit.

I have 100/100 Mbps fiber optic cable. And for the awesome price of 8.5 euros or so, I download with 11.6 mb/s tops. It averages at about 10-11. I don't think you can get that speed with adsl. However, fiber optics are capped at a way higher level than 100/100. So there's room for improvement even if you get only 10 for now.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Phatt1e View Post
    Well no, 10mbit fibre would obviously be the same speed as a 10mbit ADSL connection (theoretical, ADSL would still be susceptible to line length, noise etc). But fibre is usually a lot faster than that. Here in the UK, the fibre connections by BT are offered at 40mbit.
    turn on your tv, phone someone and play wow with ADSL and tell me its fast.

Fiber optic has a 3-way split between the phone, tv and internet connection, not sharing any of the speed between.

ADSL shares between them, meaning that you have 10m/bit for tv AND phone AND internet, while on fiberoptic you dont share.

Deleted
    The difference is , less packet loss, no noise on the line, better pings overall. You get the speed you pay for and not anything less. If you live in a fibre area you better be getting it :P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xsilver View Post
    turn on your tv, phone someone and play wow with ADSL and tell me its fast.

Fiber optic has a 3-way split between the phone, tv and internet connection, not sharing any of the speed between.

ADSL shares between them, meaning that you have 10m/bit for tv AND phone AND internet, while on fiberoptic you dont share.
    Let's not be pedantic, shall we? If we're talking about the same usage, then of course if the ISP is giving 10mbit fibre and 10mbit ADSL then the maximum speed is the same, reduced only by the ADSL noise and stuff.

If the fibre line was sharing all of the other stuff on 1 line then of course it would slow down.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Legion View Post
    I have 100/100 Mbps fiber optic cable. And for the awesome price of 8.5 euros or so, I download with 11.6 mb/s tops. It averages at about 10-11. I don't think you can get that speed with adsl. However, fiber optics are capped at a way higher level than 100/100. So there's room for improvement even if you get only 10 for now.
    The maximum the company offers is 50/50 and it costs 1126 norwegian crowns, which equals to 188,94 euros/month.
    http://www.enivest.no/fiber/superras...ett/internett/

Establishment costs 4990 norwegian crowns which is 650,68 euros.

Seems kinda unfair. :P
    Last edited by Imbashiethz; 2012-01-30 at 01:47 PM.

An optical fibre cable is just a cable, the service on that cable can be very slow, slow, fast, super-fast, everything depends on your ISP.
    Feral4Life since 2005
    cpu: Intel i9-9900K mobo: ASUS Maximus XI Extreme
    cooling: BeQuiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro gpu: ASUS RTX-2080 Ti
    ssd: Samsung 970Pro, 960 Evo, 860 Evo sound: sadly onboard
    case: Silverstone Fortress 2 Limited Edition (WRI) (I love that beauty)
    ram: 32G G.Skill 3200 C14 display: ACER X27 (G-Sync HDR IPS)

Deleted
    Virgin media now offer 120 down and 15 up for £50 a month

Quote Originally Posted by Imbashiethz View Post
    The maximum the company offers is 50/50 and it costs 1126 norwegian crowns, which equals to 188,94 euros/month.

Establishment costs 4990 norwegian crowns which is 650,68 euros.

Seems kinda unfair. :P
    I don't remember the establishment costs, but I'm paying 85 euros/Month (650NOK/Month)
    And I've got 100/100 Got to love good contacts at work
    It's internet from Altibox, they can deliver 400/400 if you're interested

OT
    Fiber optics has also in general lower latency because data travels faster on the new fiber-optic cable then on the old ADSL one.

The problem here is fibre at some point hits a mediaconverter and slows right the hell back down. Unless you have direct optic cables coming into your modem and hitting your pc your not getting anywhere near fiber speed.

Thanks to the Olympics there were a lot of infrastructure improvements near me, especially in the communications space. We've got fiber running through out streets but in most cases coxial runs through from the street into the home. I'm on the 100mbps down plan, it's consistent.

I remember it all too well

Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    We already do that. You know that TV isn't typically delivered through your phone line right? It's only interactive services that make use of it, so usage is minimal. The TV signal itself still goes through the aerial. The reason for needing a "Sky dish" is to pick up specific frequencies, while the sky box is merely the physical hardware to assess your subscription plan (as well as decode the signals). Also, your phone takes no bandwidth from your ADSL. The ADSL signal operates at a different frequency to that of voice comms, hence the need for a microfilter. A microfilter simply splits the 2 different frequencies to their relevant ports.
    DSL should be nearly unaffected from the coupling of satellite tv and phone along with the net. Cable on the other hand has a larger bandwidth but it is shared amongst anything on that line. Digital cable internet and digital phone services are directly impacting your bandwidth. Also if you don't have the right assortment of toys DSL can be interfered w. by common tasks such as the phone but def not dish. As for fiber I have done true fiber installs for companies around my way, and I promise you unless your in an area with major changes already implemented in the data telecommunication infrastructure than at best fiber stops at the pole. As it stands now to have true fiber optics you need a media converter in your house and all fiber running through straight to your pc. Not many people are that lucky, not even the people who get Verizon fios are that lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by Xevan View Post
    Thanks to the Olympics there were a lot of infrastructure improvements near me, especially in the communications space. We've got fiber running through out streets but in most cases coxial runs through from the street into the home. I'm on the 100mbps down plan, it's consistent.

50 miles is nothing use a server atleast 3x that.

Quote Originally Posted by Imbashiethz View Post
    Apparently this is some new kind of internet, It's supposed to be a ton faster. Anyone has this?

Is 10m/bit fiber-optic cable internet faster then a normal ADSL 10m/bit line?
    1 pound of feather is the same as 1 pound of iron , so is 10mbps

I've had FTTH (Fiber To The Home) for around 7ish+ years now. I've also used ADSL and Cable in the past before getting FTTH. I pay for 10/10 service, and this is what I get:

It's amazing, and I can't praise it enough for it's stability. I don't even remember the last time my connection was down. I think I might have been with Comcast when it happened lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Dizey View Post
    I've had FTTH (Fiber To The Home) for around 7ish+ years now. I've also used ADSL and Cable in the past before getting FTTH. I pay for 10/10 service, and this is what I get:

It's amazing, and I can't praise it enough for it's stability. I don't even remember the last time my connection was down. I think I might have been with Comcast when it happened lol.
    Notice the insane upload here @ 900miles. It does look like they throttle download but give an insane upload allocation im moving. Perma host in any console fps.

Quote Originally Posted by Dizey View Post

Ugh, 37 ms ping =/ what kind of 3rd world country do you live in.

Quote Originally Posted by Phatt1e View Post
    ADSL cannot compare to fibre. Whereas adsl is susceptible to line length and outside interference and etc, fibre always maintains the same up/down speed.

Quote Originally Posted by b0sanac View Post
    ADSL cannot compare to fibre. Whereas adsl is susceptible to line length and outside interference and etc, fibre always maintains the same up/down speed.
    I think you need to read up on fiber optics
    Last edited by Chronius; 2012-01-31 at 02:01 AM.

I was excited when I heard the government was paying to lay down fast affordable fiber optic internet for the community. Was pretty cheesed off though when Time Warner called in their debts on the local Repubs and killed it. Apparently reliable fast fiber optic internet sold for a fair price would put a damper on businesses like Time Warner that like to price gouge shit not as good. Sometimes I wonder if those nuts would outlaw a cure for cancer if not doing so meant the pockets of the health and pharmaceutical industry got lighter.