[Solved] Possible to change the game music?

Is it possible? Are we even allowed to change the music files? Can it even be done?

I'm sure if we could there would be so much to customize, not that I dislike the game music I mean, mines always turned off cos it gets irritating after a bit. But I'm a big fan of the music from the Final Fantasy games. Just imagine rollin' into Orgrimmar then hearing summat like this.

or this when you get on your mount,

These are just a few songs there would be tons out there to mess around with.

So that's my question, IS it possible to change the music files?

You can replace the game music files easily enough, so yes it is possible. I don't know about allowed though. Im may not be up to date with the current policies, but technically, altering the stock game files in any way is against the ToS.

It is allowed. Towards this end blizz has built in a check on login, to see if you've placed any custom audio files to use instead of the default ones. If it doesn't find any, it defaults to the mpq.
    The list of all sounds in the game:
    http://www.wowinterface.com/download...Cataclysm.html
    Then all you gotta do is make a Sound folder like this:
    World of Warcraft/Data/Sound
    and in it place your custom sound using the file path from the above list, and name it the same as the sound you're trying to replace.
    For example, if you want to remove the worgen sniff, in the above list you'll find a bunch of worgen sniff sounds, and they will (for males) have the path of :
    Sound/Worgen/Creature/WorgenMale/..... mp3
    So in your Sound folder you created, you mimick that exact folder path and then you place your file in it, with the exact name of the file you're replacing.
    Whenever you want to go back to defaults, just erase the sound from this folder, and wow will default to mpq.

Statement by blue on this:
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1021053914
    So they allow you to replace the sounds fine. They don't want you to extract their sounds and then distribute them or use them for something else and so on....standard blurb for property rights. But sound replacement is ok.
    Last edited by Sedivy; 2012-01-30 at 06:36 PM.

The Zone music in WoW is stored in the MPQ files like most other things. The Orgrimmar zone music is under

Sound\Music\CityMusic\Orgrimmar\orgrimmar01-zone.mp3

So you would create that folder in your WoW folder

World of Warcraft\Data\Sound\Music\CityMusic\Orgrimmar\ and put whatever mp3 file you want, but rename it to orgrimmar01-zone.mp3 and the game will play that when you go into Org.

It's perfectly legal.

Gershuun @ Borean Tundra US - Interface & Macros Moderator

Thanks guys, I wasn't sure how to actually change the files but I will most definitely be doing it if it's not against the rules. Just think of what other cool songs you could put for each of the different cities

This song is going to sound so cool as my auction house or bank theme haha epic

Well on that topic, here's my favorite sound compilation used in a wow UI:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xb6hzL4V6q0

Quote Originally Posted by Sedivy View Post
    Well on that topic, here's my favorite sound compilation used in a wow UI:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xb6hzL4V6q0
    Incredible mate really. That's awesome. I'm a big Zelda fan also.

Heh it isn't mine. I just remembered seeing the video a while back and thinking...wow. First time I see a game look alike UI complete with sound as well as graphics. And very polished too.

Ah ok my bad It does look real nice though. Even down to the hearts and the magic power lol

I love being able to customize things like this. I'm just not very good at actually doing it and it takes me sooo long to get it how I want it.

Hmm. Well...customizing UI appearance (the static interface parts, NOT the 3D world) works exactly the same as sound replacement and is perfectly legal.
    If you mean you're not that great at graphics, there are many UIs out there that emulate other games though I haven't seen a full one for any of the FFs.
    If you want ideas, take a look at this pack:
    http://www.wowinterface.com/download...xturePack.html
    which has some amazing textures included. To give you ideas with what you can do (you can use them in your own UI too), and what kind of format you need the textures in, in order to apply them to your UI. You'll need kGpanels to use them and should look into that addon to find out how to build graphics into your own UI.

Oh... thank you. I'll probably get lost in this for a few hours heh

Get the addon soundtrack

Download Link - http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/soundtrack

You can put in (for example) Final Fantasy 7 Boss Theme when you're fighting bosses, well basically any song you want in most events in WoW.

Some examples: -

Boss fights
    Normal Fights
    Boss Low HP
    Death (gogo aerith theme)
    Zones (SW,Orgrimmar, Anywhere)
    Spirit Form
    Flying
    PvP
    Auction House
    Vendor
    etc etc etc!

My absolute favourite addon. If this addon stops I would quit WoW (no joke)

@FiXThEPiEcEs

Perfect, exactly what I've been looking for thank you for this. And thank you all for your input.

Quote Originally Posted by Greendog View Post
    @FiXThEPiEcEs

Perfect, exactly what I've been looking for thank you for this. And thank you all for your input.
    Np, I'm glad I could help (:

Enjoy.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sedivy View Post
    It is allowed. Towards this end blizz has built in a check on login, to see if you've placed any custom audio files to use instead of the default ones. If it doesn't find any, it defaults to the mpq.
    The list of all sounds in the game:
    http://www.wowinterface.com/download...Cataclysm.html
    Then all you gotta do is make a Sound folder like this:
    World of Warcraft/Data/Sound
    and in it place your custom sound using the file path from the above list, and name it the same as the sound you're trying to replace.
    For example, if you want to remove the worgen sniff, in the above list you'll find a bunch of worgen sniff sounds, and they will (for males) have the path of :
    Sound/Worgen/Creature/WorgenMale/..... mp3
    So in your Sound folder you created, you mimick that exact folder path and then you place your file in it, with the exact name of the file you're replacing.
    Whenever you want to go back to defaults, just erase the sound from this folder, and wow will default to mpq.

Statement by blue on this:
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1021053914
    So they allow you to replace the sounds fine. They don't want you to extract their sounds and then distribute them or use them for something else and so on....standard blurb for property rights. But sound replacement is ok.
    Sorry for the ninja but this is the exact post that I have a question on.

Have they changed something with being able to change sounds in the game as of MoP? I've tried the above with the Worgen sniffing but despite my efforts, the game insists on playing the default noise instead of my custom "nothing" noise.

I've set up a Sound folder such as WoW/Data/Sound...
    and I've put the custom file like this: WoW/Data/Sound/Creature/WorgenMale/WorgenMale_Emotesniff_01.Ogg

Despite my efforts, it's as if Wow is defaulting to the .mpq because it isn't picking up my file. I'm stumped because I feel I'm putting the file in the correct location. Given the date of this past post, I'm curious if it still applies to MoP. Just an FYI, I ran opened up the sound.mpq file in order to double check the correct pathing and the above (my path) is correct.

Thank you for the help.

edit: Looking for a direct edit if possible. Don't really want to DL an 'addon' to fix this.
    Last edited by mmoc121f3efc14; 2012-12-30 at 02:37 PM.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    There are 3 files for the Worgen Male "sniff" noise, you'll need to replace all 3 of them.

Code:
    Sound/Creature/Worgenmale/Worgenmale_Emotesniff_01.Ogg
    Sound/Creature/Worgenmale/Worgenmale_Emotesniff_02.Ogg
    Sound/Creature/Worgenmale/Worgenmale_Emotesniff_03.Ogg
    If the sniffing REALLY bothers you, you'll want to replace the female ones as well
    Code:
    Sound/Creature/Worgenfemale/Worgenfemale_Emotesniff_01.Ogg
    Sound/Creature/Worgenfemale/Worgenfemale_Emotesniff_02.Ogg
    Sound/Creature/Worgenfemale/Worgenfemale_Emotesniff_03.Ogg

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Taryble View Post
    There are 3 files for the Worgen Male "sniff" noise, you'll need to replace all 3 of them.

Code:
    Sound/Creature/Worgenmale/Worgenmale_Emotesniff_01.Ogg
    Sound/Creature/Worgenmale/Worgenmale_Emotesniff_02.Ogg
    Sound/Creature/Worgenmale/Worgenmale_Emotesniff_03.Ogg
    If the sniffing REALLY bothers you, you'll want to replace the female ones as well
    Code:
    Sound/Creature/Worgenfemale/Worgenfemale_Emotesniff_01.Ogg
    Sound/Creature/Worgenfemale/Worgenfemale_Emotesniff_02.Ogg
    Sound/Creature/Worgenfemale/Worgenfemale_Emotesniff_03.Ogg
    Thanks, yeah, I replaced them. Question though, when you type out the /script to play the sound, will you always get the .mpq sound or should you get the over ride? Could be why I'm assuming it hasn't worked if you always hear the .mpq version with the /script.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Heirak View Post
    Thanks, yeah, I replaced them. Question though, when you type out the /script to play the sound, will you always get the .mpq sound or should you get the over ride? Could be why I'm assuming it hasn't worked if you always hear the .mpq version with the /script.
    No clue - easiest way to test would be to hang out in the SW bank or ah, and see if you hear it while there.