Thread: i5-2550k?

i5-2550k?

Just saw something on engadget saying that it was out as of yesterday....anyone know an eta on when it will be on newegg/amazon?

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.techspot.com/news/46702-i...ocked-cpu.html

Google proved helpful. :P Doesn't sound too special though, nor like anything really worth buying/waiting for. I'd wait for Ivy Bridge instead of a 2550K, since it just sounds like the i7-2700K all over again, just in i5 mode.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

The 2550k has its IGP disabled though.

Sounds like chips that were binned for higher clock speed capability but have a bad GPU that they disabled. Not really a bad choice if they are priced right. I'm sure a large portion of the 2500k, 2600k, and 2700k users out there don't even make use of the IGP, myself included. If they're priced right, they would be a good choice for someone looking to buy a new SB platform, but with Ivy just around the corner, why bother?

Quote Originally Posted by stalkerzzzz View Post
    The 2550k has its IGP disabled though.
    Aside from a slightly higher default clock speed, likely 3.4GHz, the chip will be functionally identical to a Core i5-2500K with the aforementioned unlocked multiplier, HD 3000 graphics, 6MB of L3 cache, Turbo Boost support and a 95 watt TDP.
    All it is is a speed bump, virtually worthless to those who are overclocking... it's the same die, after all. You just play chance with how good the die is for overclocking. Some people get great chips, some get crap chips (my first one would barely do 4.4GHz) and some get alright ones (my new one does 4.8, benches at 5.)

EDIT: Some sites are saying GPU-less while others are saying speed bump, so I don't know. The GPU-less CPUs are getting new prefixes though, so I'd venture to say it's just a speed bump.
    Last edited by Nellah; 2012-01-31 at 03:25 AM.
    Super casual.

No, it does lack the GPU. I could see if I could dig up the statement.
    Either way, while the i5 2550K by no means is guaranteed to outdo an i5 2500K in overclocking the chances of finding a good piece of chip is greater with the i5 2550K. You could worse than the i5 2500K but you could also get better.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    No, it does lack the GPU. I could see if I could dig up the statement.
    http://ark.intel.com/products/65647/...z)?wapkw=2550k

Intel's own specsheet, even better.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkXale View Post
    http://ark.intel.com/products/65647/...z)?wapkw=2550k

Intel's own specsheet, even better.
    It is indeed.
    (And for reference, I was looking for that, but wasn't up at the time I checked)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    (And for reference, I was looking for that, but wasn't up at the time I checked)
    Links to the page aren't working properly even on Intel's own website. The site does not even exist according to Google, though Bing does curiously pick it up.
    Last edited by mmoca371db5304; 2012-01-31 at 06:29 AM.