Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

No deathanimations!

"Unfortunately we never managed to get these implemented. They were a really cool idea, but a pretty huge amount of work. The one we showed of the DiabloWikiSiegebreaker was a scripted sequence we set up specifically for that video. It was never implemented, and never actually worked without someone sitting there typing in a bunch of commands to get it all to fire off properly. It’s still something we’d like to do, though.

All things considered there are just higher priority tasks sometimes. We’d love, for example, to have the monk display his weapons during all of his skill animations. But it’s an enormous animation and effects investment to get it done, and we have to weigh all of these things against other features and polish. A lot of the skills we could improve have multiple animation sets, multiplied twice for each gender, and then multiplied by each weapon type he can equip. That can be 40 or more unique animations, and then there’s a full FX pass, approvals, QA testing, etc. etc. and that’d just be for 1 skill.

We have our wish lists, but it’s a balancing act of resources. Ideally our choices when balancing go toward setting realistic limitations, and producing the best game possible."

Lol just lol. Endlessly money from milking wow and blizzard cant even make weapon animations for the monk, no boss killing blow animation that was in 2008. 7 years and u are going back in time...failgame

sauce http://diablo.incgamers.com/blog/com...#comment-32219
    Last edited by mmocb3d92687c2; 2012-01-30 at 10:13 PM. Reason: sauce

Haha, I just remember everything dying by exploding into blood in D2.

Whatever. They will still sell millions of copies.

oh shit an animation won't play when I lose the game

cancelling pre-order right now oh wait no that would be stupid
    Making hundreds of unique animations that play when you die was a waste of dev time in the first place, I'm glad they're not bothering

Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    oh shit an animation won't play when I lose the game

cancelling pre-order right now oh wait no that would be stupid
    Making hundreds of unique animations that play when you die was a waste of dev time in the first place, I'm glad they're not bothering
    When you have the kind of income blizzard has, its very easy to implement these things, all this says is they are lazy and either dont want to hire more devs or devote a bit more time to the game.

If you think that adding hundreds of unique animations (that would play only when the player messes up) is easy you know shit all about animation let alone programming
    This requires both

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    When you have the kind of income blizzard has, its very easy to implement these things, all this says is they are lazy and either dont want to hire more devs or devote a bit more time to the game.
    Ramming money into the computer mainframes does not actually cause animations to pop out, and you can't just mass-hire animators and expect them to somehow all work together (or even necessarily all have quality work). If making tons of unique death animations is something that simply isn't very resource-efficient, then I'm glad they made the decision to focus elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    If you think that adding hundreds of unique animations (that would play only when the player messes up) is easy you know shit all about animation let alone programming
    This requires both
    Is it hard when your company is going to be getting literally hundreds of millions of dollars for ensuring the game is perfect?

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizpah View Post
    Is it hard when your company is going to be getting literally hundreds of millions of dollars for ensuring the game is perfect?
    Don't think anyone's gonna be buying the game for death animations.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't add them -> Why are you so lazy Blizz?
    Add them -> Another setback? Just release the game already!

I'm disappointed they keep removing things from the game. I'm getting kinda paranoid they're trying to rush it out.

People complain about delays and then turn around and complain about a feature (that would cause further delay) won't be implemented. That's rich.

First rule of Software Development, just because you throw more resource/manpower at a project, doesn't mean it automatically increases quality or decreases development time, in fact it's the opposite, more people = higher risk of bugs, communication issues, etc.

Deleted
    Yeah, can't really see the issue here. People seem to think because of Blizzard's income their game's should ship on gold-plated discs. This is a clear case of a feature not be added because it's not worth the time or effort to implement. Diablo 3's success or failure isn't going to rest on death animations.

the game will be ready when it's ready.

Blizzard is exactly like Valve...just let them release it when it's ready,but the fact that they're cutting so many things shows that they are trying to rush it out the door

Deleted
    Gotta say, on a scale of 1 to 10, the amount I care about death animations is at the zero point. If they delayed the release to add some animations when I died, then I WOULD be annoyed.

Ok, so let's say they were going to add death animations to players. There are exactly two options for how it would go:

1) You would not be able to skip the animation. Until your character finished the animation, you're stuck watching it. That means after the first or second time you see each animation, you'll be annoyed at being forced to watch your character's death throes when you could be getting back into the game.
    1a) If it's short enough to not be annoying, it's short enough to not matter in the first place.

2) You would be able to skip the animation, in which case after you've seen it once or twice, you'll just be skipping it and not seeing it anyways.

Either way, I don't care. I'm not going to miss something I'd only care about exactly 10 times throughout the course of the game in the first place (once for each gender/class combo).

They should just stop apologizing and making excuses ... death animations will not be in game, there. Saying things like we would love to and what not make the developement sound under budgetted.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

10+ Year Old Account
    it is like a kid, give him something, he will say "i don't want it", then try take it back, and he will say "no, it is mine"

you can see great example of death animations in Clive Barker: Undying, it was VERY annoying when you got killed and have to watch 10 second animation. Also, bugs and glitches with textures (player standing still when animation starts, and creature take players head off through closed door). I remember playing WH 40000 strategies with epic death animations, but it was entertaining when i saw it once per unit, then, i just kept my eye on fight, not on a animations

so, as i see this, blizzard tried to add death animations (they are trying to add some new things even in WoW, like quests that you can return to two diffirent NPC, and we will see this a lot more in MoP), and it was too expensive (i mean time, not money), so they decided to not add this feature in game and release it year sooner.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

10+ Year Old Account
    To be honest, I don't care one way or another about death animations. I'm trying to avoid dying. :P

Kinda harsh to call it "failgame" for not having endless resources for game development. The monk weapon animation is very much understandable.

Quote Originally Posted by discopolice View Post

Lol just lol. Endlessly money from milking wow and blizzard cant even make weapon animations for the monk, no boss killing blow animation that was in 2008. 7 years and u are going back in time...failgame

sauce http://diablo.incgamers.com/blog/com...#comment-32219
    Give me the name of 1 company that recruit 10 new people just to get death animations working. Just 1 company, wont ask for more.
    I was Once a Nab
    Then I rolled a Paladin
    Thats when I found out
    that I REALLY was a Nab

Quote Originally Posted by Xiphan View Post
    Don't add them -> Why are you so lazy Blizz?
    Add them -> Another setback? Just release the game already!
    Exactly how EVERYONE of these whiny kids would react.

Why do you care about animations of how you die? Dont be a bad player and dont die, you wont notice a thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by atenime45 View Post
    The 10% reward. It's was unspoken rule that you DONT attack other faction so everyone could enjoy the 10% reward. But now no one cares about that anymore