Thread: LFR Bullies

Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    Deleted

LFR Bullies

Just did a LFR on alt #9 and saw a lot of "incidents". It reminded me of an article I read about LFR bullies, so I'd thought I'd share it with you.

Originally from http://wow.joystiq.com/2012/01/30/4-...ent/#continued
    1. The Covering for His Own Inadequacies Bully

This is your archetypical bully cliché, but it's grounded in reality. These bullies are horrifically self-conscious, and they're just lashing out at whoever's handy because they're afraid that if they don't, they're going to be the one picked out and picked on. We've all been here; it's called high school (also Congress, but I repeat myself).

These bullies are fairly common in your average Raid Finder run. Just yesterday, I ran a RF with Shelam, my blood death knight. Now, Shelam has an average ilevel of 378 and has tanked all of RF before, but he was called out and almost vote-kicked by three players: another blood DK who was trying to tank while dual-wielding Souldrinkers (a big no-no), his friend and guildmate the last-on-meters fire mage, and an unholy death knight who was fully gemmed for stamina despite being a DPS class. They all called me out for being undergeared, most likely because I was the easiest target in the raid due to my lone remaining blue item, an ilevel 346 helm. Had they not gone after me, it would have been easy for them to have been the recipients of some harsh (if accurate) words, so they chose to go on the attack instead. That let them redirect the blame and their insecurity onto me while feeling empowered because they were making accusations instead of fielding them.

2. The You're a Threat to My Gear Drops Bully

Less Psych 101 and more Seminar: People are Jerks. Remember three things: First, that you're raiding in WoW. Second, you're raiding on the internet, essentially playing a game with the proletariat. Third, WoW raids are loot-based. While people might run the Raid Finder once for the lore aspect, the ones who are running it weekly are there for loot.

In the case of the above example, I was competition for all three of those players' Vanquisher token drops and competition for the other death knight's tanking gear. Trying to orchestrate a vote kick in order to lessen the competition for loot drops is a powerful motivator for players, and their main way of doing it is convincing the rest of the raid that you're not worth keeping. It's petty and rude and self-centered ... and you should probably expect it.

3. The Elitist Egotist Bully

This is mostly likely the worst kind of bully you'll find in the Raid Finder, mainly because there's not much you can do about them. The group of bullies I've belonged to in the past, these are your heroic mode raiders who deign to grace your RF group with their presence so that they can take their Dragonwrath, Tarecgosa's Rest, top meters and then call you all bad for not doing the same. These are the ones who are going to complain every time you get loot, not because they need it but because you don't deserve it.

Please note that I'm not saying this about all heroic raiders. This doesn't even apply to most heroic raiders. There will, however, always be people who believe in their own superiority, and damn you for not being one of them. This is the type of bully I'm most familiar with, mainly because this was me for a time. This still is me at times, but I'm now mature enough to keep my opinions to myself when I'm having a bad day.
    PS, this topic is about this article and bullies, and not about how good/bad LFR is. As there's a few topics on that
    Last edited by mmoc1501ffb0eb; 2012-01-31 at 01:25 AM.

I notice the "You're a threat to my gear bullies" quite a lot. Lots of "[insert name] is AFK (when they're not), kick them" or "[insert name] has bad dps, kick them" from people who share tokens with the player in question. You usually get that followed by sporadic vote to kicks.

When your personal time counts, yes. You're a threat to my gearing, to my time and at last my capability to succeed.
    One drop could mean weeks.

Would you so freely give up a few weeks of your time?
    Also, Time is all relative. 3 weeks in the grand scale of things is nothing. But we aren't the grand scale.
    Last edited by Sylv_; 2012-01-31 at 01:14 AM. Reason: This edit is to add that time is all relative.
    I was a Death's Demise.
    Those were the good old days.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylv_ View Post
    When your personal time counts, yes. You're a threat to my gearing, to my time and at last my capability to succeed.
    One drop could mean weeks.

Would you so freely give up a few weeks of your time?
    Also, Time is all relative. 3 weeks in the grand scale of things is nothing. But we aren't the grand scale.
    However, trying to kick a player who fulfills his/her part for completion even at the minimum level, deserves the same loot as you do in LFR.

Deleted
    <3 Bully #3 = )

Especially when they just downed H Morchok and then act like bigshots talking down to everyone.

I have yet to meet a #2 though.

Once, I did see a 393 iLvl Retri Pally doing extreme low dps/damage ... lower than both Tanks. So I peeped and found he was using full PvP gears. The only other reason for below low dps/damage on Spine/Madness (4.5k/11.9k) beside his PvP gears, incompetent as a PvE player could be going AFK once battles start.

I've only seen #2 in LFD but I know they're out there in LFR. I find #3 the most annoying but good thing we have the ignore feature

Quote Originally Posted by ZenX View Post
    However, trying to kick a player who fulfills his/her part for completion even at the minimum level, deserves the same loot as you do in LFR.
    Everyone deserves loots as long as he/she plays a part. My Alt Pally Tank is currently 383 with CTC capped. The previous LFR FoDW, I was supposed to be OT to another better geared Pally Tank but at Blackthorn, we got 2 wipes and the MT Pally Tank (doing much better dps/damage than 6 others DPSers) voiced out but end up he got the arrow and being voted and kicked off the run. There was a Retri Pally in 383s doing below my low tanking dps/damage as well but no one picked up on him and there was also a DK DPS (in non-enchanted/non-gemmed Epics and Blues with his iLvl around 350-ish) did slightly better than the 383 Retri Pally and again no one said anything.

So, after the vote succeeded and the MT Pally was kicked off, we had to requeue for another Tank and end up the new Tank was a Warrior Tank with 378-ish gears which is fine. But I guess either he wasn't ready or peeps started the Battle before he arrived .. so end up I have to single-tank the trash and Blackthorn (I am not that good a tank yet) but .. we survived. The Tanking Belt dropped and both me and the non-participating Warrior Tank both NEEDED it. I won but since I already using the VP Belt, I passed the Belt to that Warrior Tank. Does he deserved the loots? Yes, he comes in for loots to further gear and it's might not be him not participating but peeps starts the battle before he could arrive. No, since he did not participate at all for whatever reason, he should not deserved the loots? LOL.

It happened to me while I was on my Mage on after Ultraxion was down, my mum yelled me to do some quick chaos so I went afk a bit but when I came back, they did not kick me (perhaps I was pulling my weight on Ultraxion) but the Gunship had left before I can board so end up I could not participate. They went ahead and clear Blackthorn and I could still roll on the loots though I did not win any.

Back to my Pally Tank on FoDW with the same 378 Warrior Tank, we continue to clear Spine and RoU Trinket dropped. Again, both me and the Warrior Tank NEEDed it but he won it. I can only cursed and swear and wait for another week for that sought after trinket :P

A few of my guildies did a LFR run together with both tanks from my guild, our tank had an ilvl359 shield (but his gear is very strong otherwise, he just got unlucky in firelands and DS so far). The dps on spine killed the add the instant it hit 9stacks, causing it to die before being in place. This caused people to start spouting abuse at our tank (regardless of the fact that it was 100% not his fault).

A funny one was the "omg, imagine what you are like if you tried normal mode". Bear in mind that our tank was using the "destroyer" 8/8 normal title along with being 3/8 heroic at the time, he was also above a great many of the dps on damage for a few of the previous bosses and is actually an exceptionally good player. But these guys latched on to anything they could for no real reason.

I mean, tanking LFG with an ilvl359 shield! what is this? How dare you join the raid in your heroic firelands/dragon soul gear with a T11 shield equiped. For what its worth, we still killed spine that attempt (despite said players just going afk/refusing to play after that) and then madness.
    Last edited by Bigbazz; 2012-01-31 at 03:27 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I did a LFR on my hpal still trying for the pve trinkets ( good for pvp ) and I entered with full pvp gear with 1 blue ( crafted vicios chestpiece ). After the second boss a rogue calls me out in raid " this fucking holy pally is in blues and all pvp gear ", to which 3 or 4 people in raid responded with something along the lines of "He's topping the healing meters". I continued on with the raid ( thankfully not getting vote kicked ). I inspect the rogue after the 3rd boss and extreme facepalmed. This rogue was a human, so he gets sword and mace specialization as a racial and he is using an axe in MH and dagger in OH and he is assassination spec. He has 4 or 5 pieces of gear gemmed with full stam, and he has strength trinkets.

10+ Year Old Account
    I abuse people in lfr. There i said it. Srs if you can't even do 20k dps get the hell out. The item level to get in lfr means you should be able to atleast do 20k easy. yes i know its face roll easy but after 7 years i don't have time for people who are to lazy to read up on there class for FIVE minuets to learn wtf they are doing.
    Aye mate

Quote Originally Posted by Spectrez View Post
    I did a LFR on my hpal still trying for the pve trinkets ( good for pvp ) and I entered with full pvp gear with 1 blue ( crafted vicios chestpiece ). After the second boss a rogue calls me out in raid " this fucking holy pally is in blues and all pvp gear ", to which 3 or 4 people in raid responded with something along the lines of "He's topping the healing meters". I continued on with the raid ( thankfully not getting vote kicked ). I inspect the rogue after the 3rd boss and extreme facepalmed. This rogue was a human, so he gets sword and mace specialization as a racial and he is using an axe in MH and dagger in OH and he is assassination spec. He has 4 or 5 pieces of gear gemmed with full stam, and he has strength trinkets.
    The best main hand for a combat rogue is an axe (from madness), and the ONLY weapon you would use for an offhand is a dagger. Or if he was able to get the legend quest daggers, he would be using 2 daggers. In either case he would never be using a mace or a sword. Not sure what to make of stam gems and strength trinkets though.

How was his damage? ^^

About "reading up on your class" - Some people can read up, it doesnt make them better players. I can read up how to play an instrument, it doesnt mean I can magically play it as as well as others. Then you have to take into account that the item level to get into the raid is 372, now depending on your spec, enchants, gems and quality of your items (pvp? ilvl377 blues) you may not be able to do the damage even if you play well, but if you're in the raid then so long as you try your best you deserve to be there.

I've seen plenty of well geared players who just AFK around, while players who are actually trying get an earful for not doing enough damage.

LFR is designed for new players, bad players and undergeared players, it is expected that not everybody is going to be decent, and the raid is specifically designed with this in mind.
    Last edited by Bigbazz; 2012-01-31 at 03:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Airwaves View Post
    I abuse people in lfr. There i said it. Srs if you can't even do 20k dps get the hell out. The item level to get in lfr means you should be able to atleast do 20k easy. yes i know its face roll easy but after 7 years i don't have time for people who are to lazy to read up on there class for FIVE minuets to learn wtf they are doing.
    You are a jerk.

Number 3, lol, i have come across it. Losers...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by iamthedevil View Post
    You are a jerk.

At least he's secure enough to admit it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by iamthedevil View Post
    You are a jerk.

You didn't see what i did there so lol
    Aye mate

essentially playing a game with the proletariat
    ^
    WOW can that be any more scummy? Why are people at Wowinsider making being lower/working class out to be something negitive?
    besides the Proletariat eventually becomes the boutgeoisie... LOL

Edit: it's kinda funny assuming all blue collar people are low brow bullies, it's almost like this guy's ego has some issues..
    Last edited by Tastyfish; 2012-01-31 at 03:48 AM.
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

Haven't met any people like this yet, very rarely do I see them on heroics either. People just generally push along silently for me.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by moogogaipan View Post
    Edit: it's kinda funny assuming all blue collar people are low brow bullies, it's almost like this guy's ego has some issues..
    Take it you are talking to me? Its not my ego that is the issue. Its my time that is the issue and i do not like wasting time for some random people i will never meet again if they put little to no effort into learning there class.
    Aye mate

Meh I guess Im #3. I shit talk but I dont ever vote people out. Plus I dont ever call out people individually. It is what it is.

what about "i jump off the tower after hitting ultraxion once and still get loot and theres nothing you can do about it" bullies?

i feel harassed by such and still there is nothing i can officially complain about as it is not considered "rude" behavior. i ask people to make use of the grey mass in their skull or wheter or not them standing in the big twilight onslaughts all alone when the hivemind of the raid choses the ignore the mechanik due to the ridiculous dificulty level can be attributed to birth defects. i run lfr with at least 3 toons every week since it s release and the quality of people i group with becomes progressively worse, as more and more people with aforementioned behavior turn up. and here i stand, powerless to fight them, what else can i do than join them?
    Last edited by Runenwächter; 2012-01-31 at 04:09 AM. Reason: meh