Question Tier 2 PvP MH/OH vs. PvE Weapons

Hey guys, so I'm in a dilemma. I currently have a few different weapons to choose from and quite frankly, I'm not sure what I should be using to achieve the highest DPS. My main question is how good is this season's 410 pvp weapons compared to normal PvE weapons for PvE scenarios (Dragon Soul). What do you think is the best combination?

My character armory is Rosslol on Tichondrius (I'm a new user and they won't let me post a URL)

Scenario 1: Tier 2 PvP MH/OH (ilvl 410)
    Scenario 2: Lightning Rod (ilvl 397)
    Scenario 3: Rathrak, the Poisonous Mind & 391 H Firelands OH or Tier 2 PvP OH

I know EJ says Lightning Rod is BiS for normals, is it really better than Rathrak? How do these normal PvE weapons compare to the 410 PvP weapon?

Thank you guys, look forward to your responses.

Ross
    Last edited by Ross; 2012-01-31 at 03:31 AM. Reason: Clarifying

I'd say to go with Rath+PvP OH, to get the chance at an AoE burst DoT while still keeping the resil up.
    "It was the product of a mind so twisted, it was actually sprained." -Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by nurabsal View Post
    on an aside, i think Bane Falcon might be my hero
    2-2-2012. We shall always remember the day where Paladins ascended through the Light to become GODS.

Perhaps I wasn't clear in my post, I was actually wondering what would be the best for PvE, not PvP. (:

If you are going to PvE, then use the lightning rod for sure. I def wouldn't be using any pvp weapons to raid with >.<
    Cyner#1996

The only reason you'd use PVP weapons in PVE is if you're melee and the base weapon damage is significantly higher, simply because weapon damage is a huge part of melee DPS, and the weapons carry relatively small amounts of secondary stats. For a caster it makes no sense because the weapon damage is irrelevant and all you're doing is getting a bit more INT/SP (maybe) at the cost of an entire secondary stat, which I'm pretty sure is never worth it. I'd say definitely not when the difference is only 10 ilvl.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyner View Post
    If you are going to PvE, then use the lightning rod for sure. I def wouldn't be using any pvp weapons to raid with >.<
    So you're saying that the lightning rod will give a higher dps than normal Rathrak?
    Last edited by Ross; 2012-01-31 at 03:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ross View Post
    So you're saying that the lightning rod will give a higher dos than normal Rathrak?
    I am going to say yes, but if you want to be 100% run your character through simcraft.
    Cyner#1996

Quote Originally Posted by Ross View Post
    Perhaps I wasn't clear in my post, I was actually wondering what would be the best for PvE, not PvP. (:
    Ah, my mistake. You mentioned PvP MH/OH, and I skimmed. There is NEVER a reason to use a caster MH/OH if you've got access to PvE MH/OHs of a comparable ilvl.

If the choice is between 403 Poisonstick and Heroic Firelands OH, and 397 2-hander... I'd say to give the dagger a shot. Or get it set up to be able to use dagger for AoE fights, and the 2h for single-target ones.
    "It was the product of a mind so twisted, it was actually sprained." -Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by nurabsal View Post
    on an aside, i think Bane Falcon might be my hero
    2-2-2012. We shall always remember the day where Paladins ascended through the Light to become GODS.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyner View Post
    I am going to say yes, but if you want to be 100% run your character through simcraft.
    Since I've already posted the math and reasoning so many times before I won't bother to here; use the search function if you want to find it specifically. For all specs rathrak plus a 378 offhand is a couple hundred dps above LR. And yes, a 410 pvp weapon will be better than normal lightning rod almost completely because of the spellpower and secondary stat that isn't the resil that it has on it. Remember spellpower point for point is worth much more than any other secondary stat so if it's 300 spellpower more than normal lightning rod, that's something you have to take into consideration. Sim it if you disagree because I guarantee you a 410 pvp weapon will sim higher than 397 lightning rod.
    Last edited by gakpad; 2012-01-31 at 04:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gakpad View Post
    Since I've already posted the math and reasoning so many times before I won't bother to here; use the search function if you want to find it specifically. For all specs rathrak plus a 378 offhand is a couple hundred dps above LR. And yes, a 410 pvp weapon will be better than normal lightning rod almost completely because of the spellpower and secondary stat that isn't the resil that it has on it. Remember spellpower point for point is worth much more than any other secondary stat so if it's 300 spellpower more than normal lightning rod, that's something you have to take into consideration. Sim it if you disagree because I guarantee you a 410 pvp weapon will sim higher than 397 lightning rod.
    Hence why i told him to just sim his/her own character and find whats best. Usually asking random opinions on forums isn't the best idea.
    Cyner#1996