Thread: GW2 Peripherals

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    i have arround 20 spells bound to my keyboard, works fine for me.
    that being said i could play with a G13 Alright have a G15 keyboard and if it's just as great if not better it's perfect

ps: i do have the razor naga to bind some extra spells
    Warrior, getting my face smashed in because I love it

"The Perfect Raid Design Drawn by me .

Deleted
    I have a G13 and a Naga - but I've never been able to get in to using them, so drifted back to just using the keyboard (which I'm generally pretty accomplished at). I find the Naga (buttons) less useful than some of the earlier razer mice that had fewer, but larger buttons.

That said, I think using a new device on a game you've played for years could just be generally more painful...so perhaps if I use the G13 from day 1 then all will be good.

Or maybe the difference is so small for me that I might just be better off sticking to what I'm good at.

I don't understand the OPs concerns. It's not hard to find 10 easy-to-reach buttons on a keyboard while moving. 12345 shift+12345 qertgbvcxz shift+qertgbvcxz and those are just the simple ones, without special keyboard/mouse.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Deleted
    Well I've played a ele/resto shaman as my main so since cata I already got a bit used to walking and casting at the same time. Bound a mouse button to auto walk, turn with mouse and then just bind any spells you got. I used 1/6 + Shift, E,Q,T,F,G,Z,X,\ + shift and ofcourse Shift+R.. Also had all my mouse buttons with Shift. I had no problems in PVP (2k Arena or just random battlegrounds) or PVE (Hardcore raiding). Its easy with any keyboard, you just need to get used to it.

Well it depends on your keybinds I guess. I tend to bind abilities to the keys around WSDA so I tend to have E R F bound to something important. While this does limit my ability to strafe right while useing those abilities nothing stops me from going forward back or left at the same time. Of corse you could just preempt the problem altogeather and go with a razer naga. While the 12 thumb buttons are not enough by themselvs for most mmo's it should be fine for GW2 since you only have 10 main hotkey abilitis + whatever weapon swap and special slots yoru profession has, shouldnt be hard to fit a few of those around WSAD and put the rest on the nagga.

Who is John Galt?

10+ Year Old Account
    I have a basic mouse with 4 side buttons, 2 on each side. Top left is going to be dodge and top right and two bottom will be my virtues!

This is how I do it:

Mouse 3,4,5
    Shift+1,2,3,4,5
    QEFRTGCV
    Shift+QEFRTGCV

=

29 binds with a normal keyboard and normal mouse with 2 side buttons and a middle button. No need for extra gadgets.
    "Loss of blood... My only weakness!"
    ~ Warlord Khan, Magicka

Anyway, if you don't already see where I'm going with this, allow me to spell it out: the only meaningful MMORPG "endgame" -- i.e., something novel to do after the progression process is over -- is that of the sandbox.

1,2,3,4,5,q,e,r,t,f,g,x,c,v,§,F1,F2,F3,F4

I seriously doubt you need more buttons.

10+ Year Old Account
    As far as hotkeys go, I always use the same keys:

1-5, Shift 1-5, Shift e, r, f, g, v, c and `

These have always served me well, from my first MMo (DAoC) thru ToR. I doubt it will change with GW2

Deleted
    Thinking about it...I use W,A,S,D to steer and the keypad with modifiers...plus a few keys around the steering keys...I think that'll be enough.

It feels as if the switching weapons button acts as a bit of a modifier anyway...it'll be much easier than other games.

*** Not game bashing caveat *** - one of the things I found hard about SWTOR was that you get a lot of skills very quickly, so was having to juggle things around quite a lot as I levelled.

Quote Originally Posted by Haggerty View Post
    Thinking about it...I use W,A,S,D to steer and the keypad with modifiers...plus a few keys around the steering keys...I think that'll be enough.

It feels as if the switching weapons button acts as a bit of a modifier anyway...it'll be much easier than other games.

*** Not game bashing caveat *** - one of the things I found hard about SWTOR was that you get a lot of skills very quickly, so was having to juggle things around quite a lot as I levelled.
    I found it more of an issue of the shear number of abilities. I've got 3 of the 4 hotkey bars covered in abilities a few of them dont really need a bind (like quick travle or sprint) but still 36 keybinds starts geting on the excessive end no mater what kebinding method you use or what peripherals you have. I'm kinda glad GW2 went the other way and didnt give you way to many keybinds on the bar all at once.

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by Earthshockaz View Post
    Razer nostromo + a Razer naga.

This is the set up I use. I have over 200 macros/keybinds.

15+ Year Old Account
    The only movement keys I have bound on my keyboard is strafe set to A and D as I run and steer with the mouse, so casting while moving is not a problem at all.

All other keys are for key binding spells and macros.

Quote Originally Posted by Laylie View Post
    This is the set up I use. I have over 200 macros/keybinds.
    And I'm sure all of them are used often and there is no useless macros/keybinds anywhere in there.

Iunno, for some reason I've never felt the need to macro things like my hearthstone or a mount. Can't imagine why.

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by masterpiece View Post
    the problem with that is you have to temporarily take your fingers off the movement keys, making your character stop moving for a second. In high end pvp I could see this getting you killed.
    I've never had any trouble of the sort in any game. I'm left handed though and I've always felt lefties who use WASD have a slight advantage over righties. That's just my opinion though.

I think all the gismos that people use are just excuses to make them feel better. :P

I use the razer arctosa keyboard.

incoming list of left handed keybindings that I used in wow and other games. (get ready)

Shift+1,2,3,4,5,6
    CTRL+1,2,3,4,5,6
    q,e,r,t,y,f,g,h,z,x,c
    Shift+q,e,z,x,f,g,h
    `, Shift+`, \
    F1,F2,F3,F4,F5
    Shift+F1,F2,F3,F4,F5
    CTRL+F1,F2,F3,F4,F5
    Shift+ Mousewheel down, Shift+Mousewheel up.
    CTRL+ Mousewheel down, CTRL+mousewheel up.
    Mousebutton 3+4

That's a total of 62, excluding WASD to move. If I need more I can always use CTRL+ some letters but I haven't needed to yet.

I still think I'm missing some. :x
    Last edited by Hulari; 2012-01-31 at 02:18 PM.

Deleted
    I'm a Naga user and tbh I don't use this mouse way to much, I prefer my ol' keyboard and only using the first 6 buttons with shift mod :S

Nice mouse but it's not that good that everyone keeps on saying :O

Don't ask me why I got this but so far its beautiful, I can hit the m1-5 on the left perfectly with my pinky finger. Talking about extra buttons, I don't think it will be that difficult. Take for example this guide from hydramist, it details spamable buttons and modifier buttons for easy keybinding if you start to hate your set-up. I've used this back when I played wow and it made the game feel so much better.

Remember, since GW2 has much fewer keybinds, I would suggest finding a main ability and find a comfortable keybinding for it. I know not much info has been released yet about the combat so take this with a grain of salt. All and all, its about figuring out what fingers hit what keys and expanding on that in order to find that perfect keybinding set-up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nalle View Post
    The only movement keys I have bound on my keyboard is strafe set to A and D as I run and steer with the mouse, so casting while moving is not a problem at all.
    I used to run a similar set up. Steer and run on mouse, jump on scroll, and all skills on the numberpad.

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    I used to run a similar set up. Steer and run on mouse, jump on scroll, and all skills on the numberpad.
    What about click to target and moving the camera to check your surroundings? O.o

Deleted
    I've tried to do the mouse steering thing, god knows I have...but it never goes well. I think I'm just too used to WASD...

Every time I get nailed by someone that has exceptional mouse steering I think "I gotta learn that"...but, the number of times I got nailed *because* of the steering is much less. It has happened...sometimes you just can't get to them as they dance around you - but realistically, there's so few people with that level of control I just don't bother about it.

The naga - lovely control and weight etc...wouldn't swap it - as I've said, the side buttons though...I'm actually worse off because I can't use them whatsoever.