Deleted

New to disc,some questions:)

Hello,
    I've recenlty leveled a priest and decided to play as Disc.I have like 1-2days on 85 so the gear is equivalent to that.I've also read guides,watched youtube videos and shit but tbh i still haven't understood the stat prio.I know ofc what every sec stat does but still there isn't a CLEAR priority.My main is a resto druid so i know how healing works but ofcourse resto to disc is a huge difference.First of all: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...3%A8y/advanced.

I've decided to go haste/crit instead of mastery(i watched like 30 armories of top disc on 10MAN GUILDS,everyone seemed to have taken their own way,reforging wise)Thing is that i didn't get why..Since i don't use any hots(guess the healing from PoH is considered as the only one) and also..after a certain haste point the casting time stays the same..2.1sec for the healing spells and 1,7sec for smite.Also crit is supposed to be a total RNG stat and even if u don't got for it at all,at higher item levels u'll have like 17-19% unbuffed due to int and if u reforge it i guess u'll be having like 23-25% unbuffed,which doesn't seem so much of a change to me,considering that all this crit would benefit mastery much more.Also regarding haste,at which point u should stop?1600..2000..2500?

Something else,i did a 10M DS pug and found myself mostly ''spamming'' PoH,Shields and ofc healing through atonement and dropping Penance when needed..tbh i rarely used heal/gheal..Also on another note i had mana issues and can't really say if they are cause of the low gear or my playstyle,or both:P

Thanks a lot guys
    Last edited by mmoce73301f456; 2012-01-31 at 01:21 PM.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    I generally prefer haste to mastery, but I was having a lot of mana issues in heroic Dragon Soul, even with high amounts of spirit, so I reforged back to full mastery, and I'm having less problems now. Mana should become less of an issue with more gear, since Disc scales so well with Intellect. In normal mode content, you can comfortably run with 2000-2500 or so spirit, and you'll do fine because of the mana gains from Rapture.

Atonement healing is still a bit of a gimmick talent option. It's extremely useful on certain bosses, but for the most part, it's not worth spending 5 talent points to achieve it's full potential, even with the 15% increase healing cooldown on Archangel. Using very few Heals/Greater Heals is pretty common in a raid environment where you're not assigned to tank healing. For the most part, it's just Shields, PoH, PoM and Penance.

I prefer haste/crit as well. I'm sitting at a little over 20% haste crit, and that feels quite comfortable. One thing I (personally) would change in your spec is to move the two points in Darkness to Veiled Shadows. In fights I know will be mana intensive, I always and without exception pop shadowfiend early in order to have it up again later in the fight (like Madness and Spine). However, I'm not atonement specced at the moment, and play pretty aggressive. So, if you feel fine with your Darkness points, by all means keep them.

And to quote Tihr above me here, I agree on the low frequency on Heal and Greater Heal. Heck, I even find myself spamming Flash Heal more than those. Furthermore, your mana problem might be related to your playstyle and healing partner just as much (probably more) than your gear. I always have a hard time adjusting to my co-healers and usually end up spending more mana than strictly needed. However, as long as I've still got mana when the fight ends, I'm fine with it. As for atonement, I use it on Ultraxion heroic occasionally and that is it (so far). For everything else, I run with standard disc. Only 4/8 hc so won't comment on the rest of the fights.

Deleted
    Disc is more about balancing ur stats, there aren't any certain goals to reach and everything is kind off viable.
    Might shift on HM's, but i think balancing Haste/Crit without neglecting mastery is a good way to go.

Balancing haste and crit is great, i aim to get as many Haste/Mastery or Crit/Mastery and reforge the mastery to either Haste or Crit.
    Or if its only Spirit/"any stat" i reforge out of spirit, i run with spine trinket (normal version) and my spirit is 16xx almost 2400 with full stack.
    Have my haste/Crit/Mastery all around 1300 rating atm. (logged out in pvp gear) and it works out fine, Im inclined to say u could even do with less mastery tho.

Doesn't matter which stat you stack, you'll be fine.

Deleted
    ^^
    ... as long as the stats "supports" your playstyle.

I'm doing all kinds of healing (raid/tank), but generally PoH is my most used heal in this tier (except on spine), followed by PoM, PWS and then Penance, Attonement.

I've seen the math saying haste>crit>mastery gives the best throughput for PoH (but mastery gives the most efficiency) and from my experience that seems to be correct.

Right now i'm stacking haste to about 13-14% (unbuffed), that's just some kind of comfort zone for me, and then crit and mastery at roughly the same level.
    I'm running higher spirit than ever too, about 3000 with trinket up, which is more than 1200 more than i used in firelands. How much spirit you need is, like haste, up to you and what you are comfortable with.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tehterokkar View Post
    Doesn't matter which stat you stack, you'll be fine.
    This, All combination works just as good in my opinion. It all comes down to what you prefer.

Deleted
    Thanks for your responses

It's not so much that secondary stats don't matter. In fact they do, it has a huge impact. It's more that secondary stats is a pretty advanced topic, and until you understand them for yourself they won't make any difference. That's becaue secondaries have to augment your playstyle, so if you're just following advice on a forum you're not likely to understand all the details. Basically focus more on playstyle than itemization and the answer will present itself to you. As long as you keep thinking about it.

The longer you play, the more setups you try, and your understanding/way of thinking about disc will keep changing.

Quote Originally Posted by zakaluka View Post
    It's not so much that secondary stats don't matter. In fact they do, it has a huge impact. It's more that secondary stats is a pretty advanced topic, and until you understand them for yourself they won't make any difference. That's becaue secondaries have to augment your playstyle, so if you're just following advice on a forum you're not likely to understand all the details. Basically focus more on playstyle than itemization and the answer will present itself to you. As long as you keep thinking about it.

The longer you play, the more setups you try, and your understanding/way of thinking about disc will keep changing.
    Yeah, I have gone through about 20k Gold reforging, trying Spirit/Master, Crit/Mastery, Spirit/Haste... etc. It all depends on what you are healing (10 or 25), what encounter it is, who you are healing it with. Also, I switch from Disc to Holy multiple times a raid, so personally I have stuck with Spirit/Mastery.
    I don't heal STUPID, Stupid SHOULD HURT!
    Syntyche - Disc Priest

Deleted
    Here, I'm running with Crit/Mastery stats, running A/A spec and reforging spirit I have actually no mana issues.

I'm only at 5/8 25 HC tho.