Deleted

Hate my university course, advice needed.

Hi.

I have been doing Computer Science Year One in university since Sept 2011. I am currently in a spot where so far, I hate my course and I hate learning about it.

At the start of the year, I considered changing course to another that interested me in college before university but I decided to stick with my Computer Science course to see if I would enjoy it further.

I lack any motivation and interest to learn my course and complete my assessments. I want to either quit my course or hopefully see if I can change my course despite being a few months in already.

I'm in a tough situation, my university loans help me financially and without them, it would be much tougher to get by if I decide to quit.

Does anybody have any advice/opinion on what to do?

I'm going to see my course tutor tomorrow but I want to hear the folks of mmochampion.

Thanks.

Go talk to the Professor teaching the course (or TAs as is sometimes the case). Explain this to them honestly and ask them what can be done. We don't know your University's policies, so we can only give you generalizations.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you hate your major, you should absolutely change it. It would really suck to get sucked into a career after college doing something you hate. Find something you enjoy and do that.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Deleted
    i had the same problem last year :\ the problem for me qutting half way through the year was i had already taken all the loans and paid all the fees and i would not be able to get all of it back, so i quit at the end of the first year on a 2year course. i got a certificate and some points for doing 1 year, was a waste of money that i will have to eventually pay back, but i was in simmilar position to you, the course after 2 months did not interest me at all, i paid no attention in classes because it was too boring to listen, did pretty much no work and rushed all my assignments on the last day before hand in.

best off talking to your uni and see if its possible to change courses at all or see if they can give you some advice.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    i had the same problem last year :\ the problem for me qutting half way through the year was i had already taken all the loans and paid all the fees and i would not be able to get all of it back, so i quit at the end of the first year on a 2year course. i got a certificate and some points for doing 1 year, was a waste of money that i will have to eventually pay back, but i was in simmilar position to you, the course after 2 months did not interest me at all, i paid no attention in classes because it was too boring to listen, did pretty much no work and rushed all my assignments on the last day before hand in.

best off talking to your uni and see if its possible to change courses at all or see if they can give you some advice.
    This is my exact position, I always complete and rush on the last day, I don't pay attention in lectures. The only motivation I have is my mates in tutorial/lab sessions when working with assignments.

Luckily, my tuition fees were grants so I didn't have to pay.

I'm definitely going to see my professor then, seems like the best choice.

Thanks for quick responses guys.

You also should consider the fact that the first year or two of any major is annoyingly tedious and involves a lot of pre-req classes. Things change dramatically once you get into your junior and senior year and tend to become much more fun (and rigorous).