[Music] World's Largest Music Democracy

Hi all!!! Just wanted to let you all know that the World's largest music democracy has recently published it's results. With over 1 million votes, the top bands and artists might not be what you are expecting!!
    Pls note, this is taken from a Non-mainstream radio's playlist, in Australia, and it is high in current music. It is done every year, can be voted on by anyone with internet and an opinion, and is entirely up to the listeners votes.
    The top 5 songs were:

Please all, enjoy the tope 5 songs of this poll.
    For the top 100, here is a good start http://www.abc.net.au/triplej/hottes...own/100-81.htm .
    "These so called speed humps are a joke. If anything, they slow you down. "

Deleted
    The fact it's not a mainstream radio kinda suggests it's catered for a niche market, so that is why the top 5 are all pretty samey samey "alternative" borefests. Saying that the 5th song is pretty decent could use a remix, the Gotye is incredibly overrated though.

I fully understand your point, and i am a little jaded as to what triple j plays on high rotation gets into the top 50. BUT, the count down is worth more than the top 5, and is worth looking into for anyone wanting to keep abreast of current music.
    Why i mentioned "not mainstream radio" is to draw attention to the fact it isnt all katy perry, justin gaga and lady bieber.
    I mean, honestly, i thought all male wow players would br into a poll that included http://www.abc.net.au/triplej/media/s3310059.htm as number 99.
    Last edited by CheeseSandwich; 2012-01-31 at 04:58 PM.

Deleted
    A "music democracy" is pretty much non-sense, doesn't matter if the voters like underground, alternative or mainstream music and what genre. Why should I be interested in the most popular songs/bands/records? If they are so popular I'll most likely have heard of them.

Quality of art is not defined by the quantity of consumers.

I quite enjoy the Black Keys and the Gotye Song(-Cover), though.^^

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPyramid View Post
    A "music democracy" is pretty much non-sense, doesn't matter if the voters like underground, alternative or mainstream music and what genre. Why should I be interested in the most popular songs/bands/records? If they are so popular I'll most likely have heard of them.

Quality of art is not defined by the quantity of consumers.

I quite enjoy the Black Keys and the Gotye Song(-Cover), though.^^
    I guess the whole point of it is to expand people's musical tastes outside of the top 40 they are fed. Honestly, how boring is your musical life if you only want to listen to music you've heard before, because a majority of people like it? And if you haven't heard them, and you like it, can't that only be a good thing?
    I guess the point I am trying to make is, it'd be, for lack of a better word, obvious to make a list of the most world wide POPULAR songs of 2011, but this is a compile of the top 100 songs that ARENT on regular top 40 playlists and videos shows generally. Personally, I think this adds to the credibility of the songs that did shine, and is a reflection of all the good music you may of missed during the year.
    And, the Gotye song is an original. It is off the album "Making Mirrors", but if you have evidence to suggest he has plagerised someone, i'll be more than happy to get some of the settlement.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by CheeseSandwich View Post
    I guess the whole point of it is to expand people's musical tastes outside of the top 40 they are fed. Honestly, how boring is your musical life if you only want to listen to music you've heard before, because a majority of people like it? And if you haven't heard them, and you like it, can't that only be a good thing?
    I guess the point I am trying to make is, it'd be, for lack of a better word, obvious to make a list of the most world wide POPULAR songs of 2011, but this is a compile of the top 100 songs that ARENT on regular top 40 playlists and videos shows generally. Personally, I think this adds to the credibility of the songs that did shine, and is a reflection of all the good music you may of missed during the year.
    And, the Gotye song is an original. It is off the album "Making Mirrors", but if you have evidence to suggest he has plagerised someone, i'll be more than happy to get some of the settlement.
    Yeah, I consider this kind of music still as "mainstream" (without saying it is any better or worse by this) and that it is so popular that you will have heard of it if you are "into music" in general or into this kind of music. I think if people like Rihanna (just an example) and the stuff that is on the "mainstream" radio, they won't bother finding "better" or new music, they just have no drive to do it, they are pleased with what they are "fed" (without saying that this is a "wrong" way of listening to music, there is no right or wrong for everyone, just for yourself).

By gotye cover I just meant that I like the cover version (by walk of the dead, iirc) more than the original.

ah yeah the Gotye cover by Walk off the Earth. Talented mofo's.