Thread: Life stories?

Life stories?

Morning.

I have an odd hobby in that I like to hear peoples' life stories. I'm not sure why, but getting to know a person's history is fun to me. So, in the interest of satisfying my curiosity, let's post our stories, shall we? I'll start us off.

My name is Adam. I was born in 1987 into a household populated by my drunken, abusive father and my mother, who was so eat up with depression that she wasn't really able to do much beyond lay in bed day in and day out and cry. Throughout my childhood and the early parts of my teenage years, I was beaten and abused by my dad. I kept it a secret because, well, when you're fourteen the last thing you want is to get other people involved. Fear is a funny thing.

At 15, I decided that enough was enough and moved out. I spent the next three years sleeping on my friends' couches when they'd let me and occasionally on the streets. (My longest stretch was a little over a month.) All the while, I continued attending high school while working wherever I could. About halfway through my senior year, my girlfriend at the time and I conceived my son. For the next two years, I worked my ass off at some of the shittiest jobs imaginable to support my family. Not long after I turned 21, I landed a job as a bartender. The hours were long and the people sucked, but the money was at least decent.

Just when things were starting to level out, I found out my girlfriend had been cheating on me with some black dude she met in town. She up and left without a word, leaving my son and I on our own. With her gone, we lost half of our income and were evicted from our small apartment. We lived out of my car for a few weeks before I swallowed my pride and called my sister, who thankfully allowed us to live with her until I found a more stable job and a place of my own.

During this time, I started drinking a lot. I would frequently down case of beer a night regardless of whether or not I could afford it. Luckily for me, I'm not a violent drunk. My luck ran out when I was pulled over while somewhat buzzed and was slapped with a DUI. Thankfully, my sister bailed me out, but I was forbidden from drinking in her house. Having learned my lesson, I stopped completely. Still, I needed something to do, so I picked up WoW. I leveled my first character - a human warrior - and eventually found a casual guild. After hopping on Vent, I found that one of our healers and I were hitting it off very well. We soon learned that we didn't live too far from each other and decided to meet up.

I drove to Tallahassee and met up with her at the mall. As expected, we started talking about WoW.

WoW turned into gaming.

Gaming turned into what go us into gaming.

Eventually, that turned into our lives.

As it turns out, she had a shitty life growing up as well. We continued spending more time together until we found ourselves dating, and eventually we decided to get serious. I guess on a subconscious level we were committed to preventing each other from hurting ever again.

We've been engaged for eight months now, and we're expecting a daughter in April. I have a stable, well-paying job as a floor supervisor in a warehouse, and I somehow have the time to take a few classes here and there through FSU with the intent of majoring in software engineering. My fiance and I are perfect for each other; hell, my son even calls her mom. For the first time in my life, I'm happy with where I am.

TL;DR - Shitty lives can become less shitty, either through blind luck or by choice. Both apply in my case.

Your turn.
    Last edited by Rheckameohs; 2012-01-31 at 05:17 PM.

Deleted
    My life isn't so interesting and i have no real story to tell, but i'd just like to congratulate you on finding someone with similar interests to yourself from playing wow, you lucky sod. haha

I too was born into a broken home. My Grandmother became my care giver. But she too was a drunk and went out every night and came home every morning drunk and pissed off that she had me here. She died when I was 15 so I became homeless. Moved around living in open cars and maybe a friends home if offered ate from trash cans and so on and so on. My brother let me live with him for a bit, in his garage! I finally got a job which was hard to do at my age and with no home. Ha! I even tried to get this job at the local donut store which was ran by a lady who knew me and my family. She would not even help me out, no job and not even a free donut, people suck! But I finally hit a age that I could join the service. But my childhodd still haunts me to this day.

Same here, man. I've come to terms with it, though. It's just a memory now.