It could hold it by the husks!

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Oak View Post
    How can she slap?
    HOW CAN SHE SLAP!?
    Why did the thread not end here?

Point of the thread anyone?
    Or is it just about as low as people go to try and bash a game?
    Dont get it, seems like a waste of forum space tbh.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinna View Post
    African or European?
    how is it that you know so much about swallows?
    22 miles of hard road
    33 years of tough luck
    44 skulls buried in the ground
    Crawling down through the muck
    Ah yeah...

you really wanna start picking apart the supposed science/logic in a franchise/cultural phenomena who's space combat is based on aerial dogfighting...as shown in the WW2 war movies george lucas watched as a kid ?

where space ships make noise as they whizz past ?

where they use swords made of light that cannot possibly exist even a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away....

really ?

Quote Originally Posted by saberon View Post
    Beskar'gam armour. I WIN! I WIN!
    Last edited by sleekit; 2012-02-01 at 06:32 PM.
    Mannoroth nodded. "The warrior shows much promise... I would see more of his kind, learn their potential..." WoTA

gee thx Brox...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daedelus View Post
    You can't explain that!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by vep View Post
    Think he's trying to make a point that Star Wars: The old Republic doesn't feel much like Star Wars when you just stand there and slash away with light sabers not one shotting people
    iknorite kotor didnt feel like star wars either because you did the same thing!
    THATS IT I CANCEL MY SUBHURDUR

10+ Year Old Account
    Because reality is for those who lack imagination.
    MLP Friendship Is Magic - Republic - The Harbinger
    The Madhi Legacy
    Slugfest - 55 Watchman Sentinel | Slugtrooper - 55 Gunnery Commando | Slugconsular - 55 Seer Consular | Slackfest - 55 Sharpshooter Gunslinger | Slugagent - 55 Marksmanship Sniper | Slugwarrior- 55 Annihilation Marauder | Slughunter- 55 Arsenal Mercenary | Slugsorcerer- 55 Lightning Sorcerer

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by golds View Post
    Snip
    That was good thank you. I lawled.

Hey, how exactly is a rainbow made? How exactly does the sun set? How exactly does the posi-trac rear end on a Plymouth work? It just does.

Why don't stormtroopers have 0% accuracy like in the movies? In the movies stormtroopers NEVER hit their targets! :P

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    OP, you were obviously expecting the kind of lightsabers in that were represented in the movies. Bioware has clearly stated this is unrealistic and would instead base their lightsabers on characteristics of those found in real life.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by grandpab View Post
    You said wet shirt doesn't break, not piss shirt bends bars.
    Hah Shanghai Noon, good call. Also nice one with the Misfits pic

Deleted
    Aliens....

15+ Year Old Account
    Simple.

My trooper is really good at taking glancing blows.
    Your jedi is really terrible at hitting a moving... well, any target.

R.I.P. YARG

Same reason Headshot doesn't instantgib it's targets. If a Jedi Knight and an Imperial Agent are fighting each other, according to the movies the Jedi would just slice them in two and move on. This is a game...an MMORPG...there has to be balance. Sure it doesn't feel like one of the movies in that regard, but anyone who didn't roll a lightsaber class would be raging in PvP.

They made a philosophical mistake, that's why.

In a game like WoW, or D&D, you score hits and reduce hit points. It's abstract. If you are playing D&D and hit an 85 hit point fighter for 10 points of damage, the description could be anything from a glancing blow to a shallow cut. Hit a 6 hit point commoner with that and he's gushing arterial blood.

WoW has to animate this, and does so generically. Any given sword strike could be deflected or mitigated by armor, but we've lost the ability to describe hits as essentially misses (expending luck, etc.). Still, not too bad.

But TOR is VERY "cinematic". When your character attacks another with a lightsaber flurry, you basically see yourself striking into (and sometimes through) them, yet the end result is "herp-a-derp, shooting back now".

Anyway, you can dismiss it, talk about how you don't need realism in video games, or whatever. The point is that the combat system is supposed to model combat, and right now the display of that very much doesn't line up to what actually is going on.

10+ Year Old Account
    The same reason why you don't die from an axe to your torso in WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by golds View Post
    Wouldn't his head be chopped off?

The Cinematics make it look like they get ONE hit and they get a kill, yet the game play light saber is like a plastic baseball bat.
    You want a trailer where they spend 1 minute fighting, hitting each other constantly? Or do you want PvP when you just one shot everything?
    Last edited by willtron; 2012-02-01 at 09:18 PM.
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

To accomodate gameplay...

Just like any raid boss in WoW, you might be seemingly hacking in their toes or knees for the past ten minutes, with each hit landing, but if it were to happen in a movie or in real life, it would be a huge struggle in wich most of your blows get blocked, deflected or dodged. Plus in a real scenario you wouldn't be standing idle hitting your foe's butt. You would probably be jumping around on it's back, avoiding their blows and trying to take the momento and hit at their weak spot.

Would you imagine tanking a dragon in WoW if you had to jump backward everytime it swipes with its claw, having to hide behind a wall or using your shield at the right time to protect yourself from it's breath. And to attract the dragon's attention, you would have to do some kind of maneuver that includes jumping over collapsing stairs to catch that chain hanging from the ceilling, and then land on the dragon's back, grab one of it's horn and strike on it's head with your sword as he triest to do barrel roll to make you fall down.

Of course that'd be epic in a movie, but in a gaming perspective...