Deleted
    I would definately say that Babylon 5 and Mass Effect are extremely similar in terms of their universes.

No other science fiction universe fits to the Mass Effect one like Babylon 5 does.

Quarian-Geth conflict is ripped directly from the Human-Cylon conflict of BSG. Mechanical slaces rise up against their creators, send them on a run in a fleet of more or less functioning ships.

Deleted
    I have a feeling that BSG wasnt the first to do that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravath View Post
    I have a feeling that BSG wasnt the first to do that.
    Was also in Dune I believe, the Bulterian Jihad. But then that was more the reverse, mankind rising up against thinking machines and its cultural effect on people.
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    Babylon 5 - that's what it is close to.

Shadows - doing basically the same thing Reapers do. Culling the population. Using chaos to stir the shit. Turning species against species. Only each 1000 years instead of 50000.
    The Babylon 5 Station serves the same purpose as Citadel - the multiracial hub and later the seat of power of the alliance.
    Shadow Ships are cybernetic. They require a pilot to be completely integrated into the ship systems. So he becomes the ship. Reapers are built from peoples too.
    Shadows dominated lesser species altering them with cybernetics, Vorlons used telepathy and genetics - Reapers used indoctrination (telepathy) and cybernetics with the extreme case of Husks.
    Mass Relays == Jump points. Built by unknown race. Presumably Vorlons/Shadows.
    I'd say B5 and ME are basically identical. Which is why I love both.

But re: Jump Gates - interesting. I never knew they were created by an unknown race. I always assumed the races of B5 just discovered them in due course of tech development, since they clearly have the understanding and the tech to build more jump gates at the time B5 takes place.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaeed Massani View Post
    Quarian-Geth conflict is ripped directly from the Human-Cylon conflict of BSG. Mechanical slaces rise up against their creators, send them on a run in a fleet of more or less functioning ships.
    By that logic, everything is ripped from everything, almost any civil war would meet the criteria. Interestingly, the quarians were the ones at fault, not the geth, too. There was no such thing as an uprising from the geth, they were, at some point, just forced to defend themselves because the quarians realized they could no longer justify enslaving them and decided to massacre them instead - but the geth did so making sure they'd not wipe out the quarians, which is why they were allowed to leave on ships. I'm not sure what cylons are or their relationships to the humans, but yeah, thought I'd defend my favourite race of the ME3 universe!

I finished the games barely one week ago. I'm always so slow. But it was great, and I even liked the ending. Not sure what all the fuss was about, or what people expected when trying to end a cycle that had been going for millions of years. No mortal, not even shepherd, could possibly stand in the face of what effectively was a god (look at how EDI evolves in a span of just a few years - and think of how she'll be millenia later..), though an AI one, and come out 100% victorious. The paradox of control versus freedom in those games can't just be resolved by two clicks, and I'd have been disappointed if that were the case.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashnazg View Post
    I'd say B5 and ME are basically identical. Which is why I love both.

But re: Jump Gates - interesting. I never knew they were created by an unknown race. I always assumed the races of B5 just discovered them in due course of tech development, since they clearly have the understanding and the tech to build more jump gates at the time B5 takes place.
    You should definitely pay babylon5.wikia a visit.

Actually discovery of Jump Gates, reverse engineering of the technology and rare element used in their construction are really the same story as Mass Relays in ME. With one distinction: Humans built their own Jump Gate and a lot of other races managed to do that too, while in ME Mass Relays are found mostly, only Protheans managed to build one, the rest was satisfied with Existing ones and Mass Cores in their ships derived from mass relay technology.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    Babylon 5 - that's what it is close to.
    Yes, this is also true. Anyway, Mass Effect is as unoriginal as it can get. Still it's a very good game.

Quote Originally Posted by Cirque View Post
    By that logic, everything is ripped from everything, almost any civil war would meet the criteria. Interestingly, the quarians were the ones at fault, not the geth, too. There was no such thing as an uprising from the geth, they were, at some point, just forced to defend themselves because the quarians realized they could no longer justify enslaving them and decided to massacre them instead - but the geth did so making sure they'd not wipe out the quarians, which is why they were allowed to leave on ships. I'm not sure what cylons are or their relationships to the humans, but yeah, thought I'd defend my favourite race of the ME3 universe!
    Never said it wasn't ripped from something else in the first place. However, considering the timing that the re-imagined series started airing only a few years before ME began, I'd say it's a more likely source of inspiration for the Geth/Quarians than what came before. ^^

15+ Year Old Account
    There are a ton of similarities to other Science fiction because Mass Effect draws on pretty much every standard concept that has been seen before in many different movies and other fiction.

http://kotaku.com/5816078/mass-effec...yfinal-fantasy
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Was also in Dune I believe, the Bulterian Jihad. But then that was more the reverse, mankind rising up against thinking machines and its cultural effect on people.
    Dune was the first to my knowledge to address that concept, it is pretty much the father of modern Sci-fi. Your also correct in how it was the reverse take on it that we are used to seeing these days. Dune even touches on the cycle concept and how things like the Butlerian Jihad( or the Reaper cycle in ME) don't actually fix the problem. It will repeat itself eventually unless looked at from a different long term perspective.

On a different note fuck the Relay defense game in the ME Citadel DLC. I am commander Shepard, I have destroyed Reapers, saved entire civilizations from annihilating themselves, single handedly have slain thousands of ground troops, came back from a suicide mission with everyone alive and hooked up with a smoking Asari. Yet I cannot get the high score on this damn game haha.
    Last edited by Duncanîdaho; 2013-04-14 at 07:08 PM.
    The generalist looks outward; he looks for living principles, knowing full well that such principles change, that they develop. It is to the characteristics of change itself that the mentat-generalist must look. There can be no permanent catalogue of such change, no handbook or manual. You must look at it with as few preconceptions as possible, asking yourself, "Now what is this thing doing?" -Children of Dune

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncanîdaho View Post
    saved entire civilizations from annihilating themselves
    Thats where you went wrong.

Tip:
    Allow the geth to purge the heretic quarians.
    Choose destroy.
    Last edited by mmoce8c391acaa; 2013-04-14 at 09:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cirque View Post
    I finished the games barely one week ago. I'm always so slow. But it was great, and I even liked the ending. Not sure what all the fuss was about, or what people expected when trying to end a cycle that had been going for millions of years. No mortal, not even shepherd, could possibly stand in the face of what effectively was a god (look at how EDI evolves in a span of just a few years - and think of how she'll be millenia later..), though an AI one, and come out 100% victorious. The paradox of control versus freedom in those games can't just be resolved by two clicks, and I'd have been disappointed if that were the case.
    Was that the normal ending or the new and improved ending? I personally didn't mind the new ending. It wasn't the closing story that I didn't like, it was just badly done originally. Their updated version was much better. I do understand what people are complaining about though. Nothing through the game really impacts the ending. You could do complete crap through the game or do awesome and for the most part it's pretty much the same. Compare that with ME2, where the ending is deeply impacted by sidequests. All the loyalty sidequests were brilliant and really affected who survives. I think that's all people really wanted.
    Last edited by Rukh; 2013-04-14 at 09:44 PM.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

Deleted
    Thats where you went wrong.

Tip:
    Allow the geth to purge the heretic quarians.
    Choose destroy.
    Actually Shepard is a dude that loves him some genocide in the morning.

1) Kill the Rachni Queen in ME1 and thus exterminate an entire species of intelligent life
    2) Let Legion delete the Heretic Geth and thus wipe them out completely (they are intelligent after all)
    3) Side with the Geth over the Quarians and then choose the Destroy ending (which wipes out both species)
    4) Sabotage the Genophage and let Wrex discover it (leads to the extermination of the Krogans out of desperation as seen in the ending slides) - Eve has to be dead
    5) Let the Turian bomb on Tuchanka explode thus killing a lot of Krogans

This is only the genocide part of Shepard. Try a full Renegade Shepard. All those people Shepard killed are delightful (in a strange way).

Deleted
    Makes me all warm and fuzzy inside.

B5 and ME3 share some similarities.

But the shadows aim and the reapers aims are worlds apart.

The shadows want to evolve the races via conflict. If some are lost its the price you pay for evolution. But like the reapers they originally had a different purpose.
    Reapers do it as they view it as the only way to save organic life.

The major difference between the two though is below:

The writers in B5 had the balls for the main character to tell the shadows/vorlons to get the hell out of the galaxy.
    The ME3 writers didn't and we ended up with a star child.....

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Illusive Man View Post
    Actually Shepard is a dude that loves him some genocide in the morning.
    Smells like . . . victory.
    Putin khuliyo

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Smells like . . . victory.
    We need a control ending where reapers win and Shepard is the new reaper commander.

We need a control ending where reapers win and Shepard is the new reaper commander.
    Finally replacing M shields? That guy surely is retired by now! Every time you kill Shepard Commander he says "I have to go" (or she)

Deleted
    He retired in EC, replaced by M. Health.