1. #1

    Steam game's £27 ($35US) DLC is a PDF certificate

    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...df-certificate

    There's DLC, and then there's this DLC.

    Hadean Lands is an interactive fiction game done in the old adventure game style. There are no graphics. You simply type your commands and read what happens next.
    It's important to note that Hadean Lands does not come with hints or a walkthrough, because that's what this DLC revolves around.

    The £26.99 DLC, which came out yesterday, is a certificate that says you, the player, promise to finish Hadean Lands without looking at any hints or walkthroughs on the Steam forums or anywhere else on the internet.

    That's it.
    What next? Horse armour? Oh wait...
    And you thought EA,Ubisoft and Activision DLC was bad...
    My PC: Intel Core i5-4690K|8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory|1TB WD Caviar Blue|Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE|SeaSonic S12II 620W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply
    My Paladin - http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...Landore/simple
    My Deathknight - http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...Cellios/simple
    Streaming Ps4/PC games @ https://www.twitch.tv/jtbrig7390

  2. #2
    I saw the title and knew this would be pretentious indie game bunkum, not disappointed.
    Last edited by dope_danny; 2016-06-22 at 10:02 PM.
    http://theeorzeanfrontier.blogspot.co.uk/ Neckbeard rambling about this weeaboo trash

  3. #3
    What's up with all the copy-pasting clickbait articles the last few days...

  4. #4
    Scarab Lord Davos Seaworth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Brighton, England
    Posts
    4,937
    Some sort of 'joke' from the developer.
    I've tried finding the humour in it, but I sadly can't.

    Publicity? Probably.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    And you thought EA,Ubisoft and Activision DLC was bad...
    I still do.
    Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

  6. #6
    I don't see the issue. If someone wants to throw extra money at the devs to support them, they now can. The DLC itself is entirely irrelevant and in no way, shape, or form impacts the game in the slightest.

    I've seen all kinds of righteous indignation and mockery over this and don't understand any of it.

  7. #7
    Moderator Jester Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Steins;Gate
    Posts
    19,640
    I'm oddly okay with this, as long as they were upfront from the start exactly what it is.

    People can only blame themselves if they bought it, hoping there was more.
    JJJJJ"El Psy Kongroo!" General Off Topic/Hearthstone Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bootybear View Post
    Jester Joe? More like Jester Bro. Got my back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Izalla View Post
    Jester Bro indeed.

  8. #8
    Scarab Lord Eleccybubb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    The Basement.
    Posts
    4,141
    I wouldn't even accept that DLC for free...
    "A life with no changes can’t be called life. You can only call it experience." Lelouch Vi Britannia.
    “Being human totally sucks most of the time. Videogames are the only thing that make life bearable.” Ernest Cline.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    I'm oddly okay with this, as long as they were upfront from the start exactly what it is.

    People can only blame themselves if they bought it, hoping there was more.
    This is odd to me though.

    I'm perfectly ok with a donation type thing that does nothing with the game. But if someone buys it thinking there is more to it then its obviously not ok. Just because people arent equally intelligent doesnt mean they should have their money taken from them in good faith. Imo.
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Personally, I have no issue with huge numbers, Blizzard can do several things to help the smaller brains understand them.
    - Larger brain = processing bigger numbers. Its a well known fact that sperm whales with a brain of about 8kg(18lb) tosses around "huge numbers".

  10. #10
    Old God Arrashi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Beautiful city of Duwang
    Posts
    10,998
    It's one of those hipster jokes huh ? I guess if it gives them their 5 seconds of fame good for them.

    Than again, main game has whole 6 reviews on steam so i doubt there is much interest if any in that game.

  11. #11
    Well, you need some nerve to put a PDF certificate as a 35$ DLC, still the FAQ on the store page explains what this is about... Meh, the dev is a smart ass while the people blindly buying this "DLC" have more money than common sense.
    Here was a level 85 Enhancement Shaman. Now there is just an epitaph.

  12. #12
    Moderator Jester Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Steins;Gate
    Posts
    19,640
    Quote Originally Posted by Nupomaniac View Post
    This is odd to me though.

    I'm perfectly ok with a donation type thing that does nothing with the game. But if someone buys it thinking there is more to it then its obviously not ok. Just because people arent equally intelligent doesnt mean they should have their money taken from them in good faith. Imo.
    There's nothing about "not being equally intelligent". I'm saying if before you buy it, the page flat out says "This is all that's here" and they STILL buy it thinking "That must be a joke", then they only have themselves to blame.
    JJJJJ"El Psy Kongroo!" General Off Topic/Hearthstone Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bootybear View Post
    Jester Joe? More like Jester Bro. Got my back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Izalla View Post
    Jester Bro indeed.

  13. #13
    Old God Arrashi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Beautiful city of Duwang
    Posts
    10,998
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    There's nothing about "not being equally intelligent". I'm saying if before you buy it, the page flat out says "This is all that's here" and they STILL buy it thinking "That must be a joke", then they only have themselves to blame.
    With a game released in 2014 i really doubt anyone will care to buy it.

  14. #14
    Moderator Jester Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Steins;Gate
    Posts
    19,640
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    With a game released in 2014 i really doubt anyone will care to buy it.
    That too though. Seems really odd to wait 2 years to put out something that probably took like an hour to make.
    JJJJJ"El Psy Kongroo!" General Off Topic/Hearthstone Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bootybear View Post
    Jester Joe? More like Jester Bro. Got my back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Izalla View Post
    Jester Bro indeed.

  15. #15
    Mechagnome MORGATH99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    somewhere only she knows
    Posts
    696
    only CD project red can make real worthy DLC others just dont have any idea or hope to make even a decent one

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    I don't see the issue. If someone wants to throw extra money at the devs to support them, they now can. The DLC itself is entirely irrelevant and in no way, shape, or form impacts the game in the slightest.

    I've seen all kinds of righteous indignation and mockery over this and don't understand any of it.
    If anything it is mocking the current trend in DLC, in that you can buy power, in many ways "legitimately" cheating your way through in a way intended by the developer.
    I agree that as long as you know what you are buying, there is nothing wrong with this.

    That is the wort of thing that if I actually had the budget to do so, I would actively support.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    There's nothing about "not being equally intelligent". I'm saying if before you buy it, the page flat out says "This is all that's here" and they STILL buy it thinking "That must be a joke", then they only have themselves to blame.
    I mean....

    Wouldnt that exactly have to do with someones intelligence?

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    If anything it is mocking the current trend in DLC, in that you can buy power, in many ways "legitimately" cheating your way through in a way intended by the developer.
    I agree that as long as you know what you are buying, there is nothing wrong with this.

    That is the wort of thing that if I actually had the budget to do so, I would actively support.
    In my experience most DLC's are simply adding a little bit of additional content. Not power per se.
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Personally, I have no issue with huge numbers, Blizzard can do several things to help the smaller brains understand them.
    - Larger brain = processing bigger numbers. Its a well known fact that sperm whales with a brain of about 8kg(18lb) tosses around "huge numbers".

  18. #18
    Moderator Jester Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Steins;Gate
    Posts
    19,640
    Quote Originally Posted by Nupomaniac View Post
    I mean....

    Wouldnt that exactly have to do with someones intelligence?
    The smartest people can make stupid choices. One choice doesn't make someone have low intelligence.
    JJJJJ"El Psy Kongroo!" General Off Topic/Hearthstone Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bootybear View Post
    Jester Joe? More like Jester Bro. Got my back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Izalla View Post
    Jester Bro indeed.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Nupomaniac View Post
    I mean....

    Wouldnt that exactly have to do with someones intelligence?

    - - - Updated - - -



    In my experience most DLC's are simply adding a little bit of additional content. Not power per se.
    It depends on the game.
    Some are more guilty of it than others, like from my understanding (not played myself yet) Payday 2 - at least until a recent "change in management".
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •