Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    TOR is a success to Bioware/EA. They only needed 500k subscriptions to be a success. They exceed their profitability mark. Bioware can certainly design a good MMO (even if TOR has some flaws). The problem with TOR is the same one with ME3 and most of Biowares recent game releases. Marketing and hype. They over hyped it. As long as they don't over hype a ME MMO it would do just fine. It really wouldn't take much more design then already exists in the franchise. Just need to add social/persistent aspects to the MP and you have a MMOFPS.

As for who you would play? Why would anyone play something other then the Geth? You can get away with botting because you are a bot! Though that didn't stop Galaxy of Fantasy from trying to ban a geth.
    Are you sure about that? TOR cost an insane amount to develop (300 milion USD I think?), and subscriptions dropped off really quickly. They mentioned considering going free to play not too long ago, and that's only like half a year after its release. And this is a franchise that is a lot more mainstream and has a lot more fans than Mass Effect does.

Even if BW recouped the expenses, I would expect them to think long and hard before starting development on another MMO.

Deleted
    Regarding TOR - great story and possibilities, not so great endgame and multiplayer content.
    Verdict: Stick to singleplayer games.

Tanking was dreadful...

Deleted
    True. TOR got the RPG elements down, but none of the MMO ones were really good.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyrmwing View Post
    True. TOR got the RPG elements down, but none of the MMO ones were really good.
    I will always remember walking into a deserter meeting with an alliance general, convincing the general that the deserter was actually a spy, making the deserter kill his new employer, then kill the deserter.

He shat his pants continuesly for 5 minutes from i arrived to his demise.

Well, one could say that they now know where to focus their efforts if they want to improve on the formula.

Deleted
    Like how they did with the endings?

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    The problem with TOR is the same one with ME3 and most of Biowares recent game releases. Marketing and hype. They over hyped it.
    Don't delude yourself dude. Bioware is the king of single-player RPGs. No contest. (Witcher, Skyrim, Bethesda, Blizzard, etc. any JRPGs included.) Problem with SWTOR is that they wanted to beat WOW on a home game. They (or anyone else) just can't. Period.

I think Bioware should stick to single-player RPGs. KOTOR, JE, ME, DA any universe is very good.

Deleted
    Witcher utilises biowares proprietary Aurora Engine.

The Aurora Engine was the 3D successor to BioWare's earlier, 2D game engine, called the Infinity Engine. The engine allows for real-time lighting and shadows, as well as surround sound.

I guess Bioware have some great talents outside of scripting.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm a bit hesitant about an ME MMO myself. Not because of SWTOR, but because of the genre in general. Frankly, WoW has been the only truly successful MMO since it's release. Every other MMO either fails, or sustains itself without living up to expectations. We've seen this with Warhammer, LOTRO, Rift, SWTOR, AoC, Aeon, and so on and so forth. An ME MMO might make BioWare money perhaps but I'll be highly skeptical if it can even hope to give WoW competition.

I don't even like WoW anymore, yet I do see it as being the king of the genre because no one has even come close to touching it since it stole the crown from Everquest.
    Last edited by Adam Jensen; 2012-07-08 at 04:45 PM.
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrmwing View Post
    Are you sure about that? TOR cost an insane amount to develop (300 milion USD I think?), and subscriptions dropped off really quickly. They mentioned considering going free to play not too long ago, and that's only like half a year after its release. And this is a franchise that is a lot more mainstream and has a lot more fans than Mass Effect does.

Even if BW recouped the expenses, I would expect them to think long and hard before starting development on another MMO.
    EA's CEO said that, according to their models, they only needed 500,000 subscribers for SWTOR to be "substantially profitable."

And practically every MMO has mentioned going F2P at some point. They need to weigh their options. And, contrary to popular belief, making your MMO F2P is not a last-ditch effort to save a dying game, it's just a good business model if done right. Hell, even WoW is partially F2P.

SW:TOR really didn't do that badly. In fact, I would go so far as to say it did a lot better than a good chunk of new MMORPGs do right out of the gates.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Moontalon View Post
    Hell, even WoW is partially F2P.
    Not even remotely.

Quote Originally Posted by Gravath View Post
    Not even remotely.
    Starter Edition would like a word with you.

Deleted
    Starter Edition would like a word with you.
    It can come back when it grows up and isnt just a preview.

It can come back when it grows up and isnt just a preview.
    Because TONS of F2P games don't have any sort of restrictions on accounts that don't pay anything, amirite? I said it was partially free to play, and it is. You can play up to level 20 with restrictions. No different than a free account on a F2P hybrid MMORPG.

Whether or not you agree, my point still stands. Going F2P is not a last-ditch effort to save a dying game, it's simply a good business model if done right.

Deleted
    Because TONS of F2P games don't have any sort of restrictions on accounts that don't pay anything, amirite? I said it was partially free to play, and it is. You can play up to level 20 with restrictions. No different than a free account on a F2P hybrid MMORPG.

Whether or not you agree, my point still stands. Going F2P is not a last-ditch effort to save a dying game, it's simply a good business model if done right.
    Having played MANY F2P MMOs, i cannot disagree with you more.
    They dont cut you off at the start of the game and go "you want to see the game, pay up!", they let you play the game and offer bonuses for paying.
    Like silkroad. You get priority to login during busy time if you pay, but they dont go "Oh you want to see this continent? PAY UP!"

Having played MANY F2P MMOs, i cannot disagree with you more.
    They dont cut you off at the start of the game and go "you want to see the game, pay up!", they let you play the game and offer bonuses for paying.
    Like silkroad. You get priority to login during busy time if you pay, but they dont go "Oh you want to see this continent? PAY UP!"
    WoW's restrictions are more extreme than other MMORPGs because it is not a true F2P MMORPG. That much is true. However, the concept is essentially the same. See part of the game for free, pay to get the rest of it. It's irrelevant, however, as WoW being partially F2P or not has no bearing on my original statement. It's just the very small part of the post that you chose to cling to for some reason.

Deleted

10+ Year Old Account
    hahahaha illusive romney oh that's good thank you sir!

Quote Originally Posted by CHALET View Post
    [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/XLVUn.png[IMG]
    Mittlusive Man?

10+ Year Old Account
    And thus by the transitive property, Mitt Romney looks like Martin Sheen?

Strangely they look nothing alike.
    Last edited by Adam Jensen; 2012-07-09 at 04:07 AM.
    Putin khuliyo