10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mordin Solus View Post
    well my understanding of me3 is that he first went to the council for backup for earth but then found out that other worlds are also under atack although from the knowledge i gathered, not as hard as earth so i'd say it would be simpler for sheppard to try to also free those planets and gather all the forces where the reapers were atacking in force. because according to harbinger, they perceive the humans to be a greater threat so they most exterminate them at all costs with the biggest brunt of their forces
    As far as the Reapers knew, the only known destruction of Reaper during the time of that cycle was by humans. In their mind, the humans are on top of the power pyramid for being able to do that. Sovereign and the Omega 4 base had both been taken down by the Humans, now if it was the Turians who brought them down. I'm pretty sure Palaven would of gotten gang raped by the Reapers instead of Earth.

Quote Originally Posted by The Illusive Man View Post
    I think that the Asari or heck even the Krogan could have achieved what Shepard achieved because actually if you look at it then Shepard is "just" an ordinary Commander that got lucky enough to touch a Prothean Beacon on Eden Prime and thus went from "zero to hero" literally. Of course he is cool and knows how to motivate his squad but actually Shepard had nothing more than anyone else. Heck even the Shadow Broker dossier for Garrus says that he is a better leader than Shepard but Garrus just prefers to subordinate to Shepard.

If the Asari had a person that was in Shepards role, which stumbled right into a Prothean Beacon then I assure you that they possibly achieved what Shepard achieved and defeated the Reapers.

I just replayed the whole trilogy lately and I was kinda shocked how lucky Shepard got throughout the 3 games. Everyone with a strong will (like Saren) could have found the Beacon and received the vision. It´s not like Shepard is the only hope for the galaxy because I assume that there are more heroes out there that could do what he did.
    Shepard isn't just an ordinary commander though. Shepard is YOU. He's your character. He's your guy and your mouthpiece and your avatar in the game. If the Asari had a shepard then it really wouldn't be YOU. It's harder (although not impossible) to have that affinity for something not human.

Quote Originally Posted by Toccs View Post
    Was told at work last week that Robin Sachs recently died (the voice actor for Zaeed) Such a shame Old news i know.
    That's a bummer. He wasn't really that old either.

10+ Year Old Account
    Calling it now, alternate timeline.

15+ Year Old Account
    If the Asari had a person that was in Shepards role, which stumbled right into a Prothean Beacon then I assure you that they possibly achieved what Shepard achieved and defeated the Reapers.
    But the Asari did. Remember the Asari had their own Prothean beacon and they had centuries to study it and learn from it. And what did they do? Kept it secret until the last possible moment. They never did fully explain just what the beacon did to Shepard and why the collectors and Illusive man were so hell bent on having Shepard as opposed to just finding someone else that is strong willed and a leader.

Bioware heavily implied that Shepard was key to the events without ever explaining why.

---------- Post added 2013-02-07 at 06:41 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Nazrark View Post
    As far as the Reapers knew, the only known destruction of Reaper during the time of that cycle was by humans. In their mind, the humans are on top of the power pyramid for being able to do that. Sovereign and the Omega 4 base had both been taken down by the Humans, now if it was the Turians who brought them down. I'm pretty sure Palaven would of gotten gang raped by the Reapers instead of Earth.
    Even then though why did the collectors focus on humans? They could have culled the Quarians and hardly anyone would have known or cared. Bioware did focus a little on how Humanity is different from most of the other races because of its culture and view points. But it never really explained just why the Reapers were so interested in Humans.

---------- Post added 2013-02-07 at 06:46 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Myobi View Post
    I don't understand =/
    I don't think Chris Priestly understands either. The game has to take place before, during, or after the events of Mass Effect 1-3. I think what he meant to say is to treat it as its own stand alone game rather then a continuation of the first three games.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

"Calling the next entry Mass Effect 4 is doing it a disservice" ... well until they announce the official name I will continue calling it ME4 because it will be the fourth game in the franchise/universe. >.>

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Moontalon View Post
    "Calling the next entry Mass Effect 4 is doing it a disservice" ... well until they announce the official name I will continue calling it ME4 because it will be the fourth game in the franchise/universe. >.>
    Indeed. I know it might not be the fourth game chronologically, but it will be the fourth ME game produced. That makes it ME4, for the time being.
    Putin khuliyo

I mean I suppose it's not technically the fourth game if you count the spinoffs (Galaxy and Infiltrator) but I don't count any but the main line of "big" games. lol

15+ Year Old Account
    http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/to.../15702171&lf=8

Pretty much how I interpreted the comments made and a further explanation by the head of the studio developing the new game. Any new Mass effect came will take place in the universe but not really be a sequel (or prequel). It is just a new game with a new story that may or may not reference events that happened in the first 3 games. His WW1 and WWII examples are perfect.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Weren't there some lines in the game about humans being really diverse genetically and that is why there was so much interest in them from the collectors, reapers, and other races? Could have sworn it was something Mordin said.

10+ Year Old Account
    I mean I suppose it's not technically the fourth game if you count the spinoffs (Galaxy and Infiltrator) but I don't count any but the main line of "big" games. lol
    Yeah I was only counting the 3 main games, I consider Galaxy and Infiltrator to be "side" games, if you will.

---------- Post added 2013-02-07 at 11:16 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by vom View Post
    Weren't there some lines in the game about humans being really diverse genetically and that is why there was so much interest in them from the collectors, reapers, and other races? Could have sworn it was something Mordin said.
    Yep, in the hospital during Mordin's loyalty mission after coming across a human corpse.

I've played ME2 too much . . .
    Putin khuliyo

Whatever ME4 will be, I'm more excited about DA3 at this point because it's way closer than ME4. lol

Deleted
    Whatever ME4 will be, I'm more excited about DA3 at this point because it's way closer than ME4. lol
    I'm curious what they'll do with the frostbite engine...
    Don't expect them to get any of the actual game right :\

Honestly I don't even care at this point I'm just jonesing for more Dragon Age. lol I've been playing DAO and DA2 again and I'm falling in love with the universe all over again. If I had friends that were on island and into gaming I would totally get the Dragon Age tabletop RPG and play the shit out of it with them. lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Since I can't or am unable to work the reply with quote system.

The universe has hinted that Sovereign first attempt at invasion was during the Rachni Wars. And the fact there remained a great deal of Mass Relays still not explored. I am inclined to believe that he had indeed indoctrinated several people to spy on the galaxy after the events of the Rachni Wars. As the other races had said as well, Humanity was the new kid on the block and in a very short amount of time they had amassed a huge amount of power. The industrial strength of Humanity was overcoming that of the Turians.

At the speed of progress Humanity was making, it would make sense that they target them first. Considering the ambition that drove them, it would of only been a matter of time before Humanity became the dominant force in the known galaxy.

Just like in Star Trek. The Vulcans were more advanced than the Humans. But in a very short amount of time, the Humans overcame them in technology despite them holding back research.

Edit: I think we can argue that once the humans arrived. It became an entirely different ball game. The defining part of Humanity was their relative medium life span and ambition compared to that of the other races. The known galaxy was afraid of ambition, because it had brought them the Krogan Rebellions, or at least for the over-ambitious.
    Last edited by Nazrark; 2013-02-08 at 05:22 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yakobro View Post
    I'm curious what they'll do with the frostbite engine...
    Don't expect them to get any of the actual game right :\
    I just want destructible environments that I can tear apart with biotics.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/to.../15702171&lf=8

Pretty much how I interpreted the comments made and a further explanation by the head of the studio developing the new game. Any new Mass effect came will take place in the universe but not really be a sequel (or prequel). It is just a new game with a new story that may or may not reference events that happened in the first 3 games. His WW1 and WWII examples are perfect.
    Yeah Yanick Roy explained that well. It will definitely not take place in an alternate timeline because that would be bullshit and would actually make no sense other than mix up the current trilogy and the lore behind it.

An alternate timeline without Reapers would also not work because then it would not be Mass Effect as there would not be any Relays and no Citadel both of which is an important part of the franchise or if they brought an alternate timeline without Reapers but the known Relays and Citadel it would destroy the existing lore as we all know that they were build by the Reapers.

This guy knows what´s up !!

Yanick Roy

Report this post
    Quote Link Created 1 day ago, Modified 1 day ago
    Hi guys,

It’s my first time posting on the forums, so I hope I’m going to do it right!

What Chris is saying is that thinking of the next Mass Effect game as Mass Effect 4 would imply a certain linearity, a straight evolution of the gameplay and story of the first three games. But because we are switching to a new engine and need to rebuild a bunch of game systems, we have an opportunity to rethink how we want these systems to be going forward instead of just inheriting them from the previous games. Story-wise, the arc of the first trilogy has also been concluded, and what we will do is tell a new story set in the Mass Effect universe. That doesn’t mean that events of the first three games and the choices you made won’t get recognized, but they likely won’t be what this new story will focus on.

In other words, because the game takes place before of after the first trilogy does not mean it necessarily is a straight prequel or sequel.

I’m not a big fan of analogies because the images you use always mean something different to different people, so they are inherently flawed. But let me use one anyway.

If you had three games centered around a group of key soldiers in the US army during World War I and then decided to make a game about another group of people during the second World War, the games could have many points in common and feel true to one another, and you likely would have to recognize how the events of the first war influenced the ones of the second, but you would not necessarily think of it as a sequel. Again, the analogy is
    not great, but what I’m trying to say is that the ME universe is so rich that we are not limited to a single track when coming up with a new story.

I apologize for being cryptic right now, but it’s early enough in development that we don’t have much to share – things still fluctuate quite a bit. As I have posted on Twitter though, the overall feeling of what you are discussing and asking for is very much aligned with what the team intends on delivering, and that makes me feel very good about where we’re heading!

I hope this helps clarify why we’re not thinking of the next ME game as ME4 internally!

Edit: Yanik is the Studio Director of BioWare Montreal by the way !! So this guy knows what´s up as BW Montreal develops the game (see http://blog.bioware.com/2012/11/12/a...ware-montreal/)

I also prefer to call it MENext instead of ME4 because I am certain that it won´t be named ME4 as the current trilogy is over !! ME4 would mean that it is the 4th part of that Shepard trilogy which is wrong.

MENext
    Last edited by mmocac05adb153; 2013-02-08 at 08:55 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I also prefer to call it MENext instead of ME4 because I am certain that it won´t be named ME4 as the current trilogy is over !! ME4 would mean that it is the 4th part of that Shepard trilogy which is wrong.

MENext
    Eh, until it's real title is announced, I'll continue calling it ME4 as it is the fourth major ME game.

*shrug*

I know it is detached from the Shepard arc and might be before or after Shep's story. ME4 is just convenient.

---------- Post added 2013-02-08 at 03:58 PM ----------

I need a gun rack for all the N7 Valkyries I keep getting.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    Just did the Weekend Challenge by playing my Male Quarian Engineer for the first time and oh my god...Arc Grenades on Geth is the most hilarious thing ever.