10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    Its just a gameplay tool so people won't have to listen to kotor style aliens, which is a big step forward. There's not much more to it than lore being bended for the sake of convenience.
    Well, in this particular case, I think this is pretty much what would take place in the real life. 170 years from now, creating a live voiced translator will probably be a very easy task, and using it is definitely more efficient than using dozens of languages (unless English becomes a universal language by then, which is quite likely as well). Again, in Star Wars which you picked as another example, normal people know dozens of languages - doesn't seem feasible realistically.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it was explained for your crew mates on why they spoke english. Mordin picked it up extremely quickly, as he spent time studying in a Buddhist monastery. Garrus knows it from being in C-Sec where the main work force is Turian and Human. Javik actually grabs ahold of Shepard and learns it from his DNA. Tali's suit has a translator built into it. Liara said she studied the Human race when they first joined the galactic collective. Wrex is a merc, which means a lot of his clients in the past 20 years or so would be human. So he would have to pick up the language.

They could also explain it the same way Star Wars does. Everyone speaks Galactic Basic (English) and the minority speak Huttese.

Quote Originally Posted by Gravath View Post
    You should romance her and then turn her down when she comes up to the cabin.
    It was fun to watch her break.
    Your avatar says it all. ;P

Quote Originally Posted by khalltusk View Post
    XD,

For the first time in any of my ME play through i'm having Liara as the LI. So far I've not gone through that story with her but now I will.
    If we ever meet aliens in my lifetime, and they are not Asari...I will be disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by Gravath View Post
    I can not comprehend taking anyone over Liara.
    I went with Tali in my first playthrough in ME2, because Liara wasn't an option and I never bought the DLC, and without that, she's so cold to you initially. But that made ME3 difficult...I felt like Tali and I were actually friends. And breaking up with your best friend is really hard. But--that transcendent mind-sex...once you go blue tentacle, the ordinary thing just isn't fulfilling anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Nazrark View Post
    I think it was explained for your crew mates on why they spoke english. Mordin picked it up extremely quickly, as he spent time studying in a Buddhist monastery. Garrus knows it from being in C-Sec where the main work force is Turian and Human. Javik actually grabs ahold of Shepard and learns it from his DNA. Tali's suit has a translator built into it. Liara said she studied the Human race when they first joined the galactic collective. Wrex is a merc, which means a lot of his clients in the past 20 years or so would be human. So he would have to pick up the language.

They could also explain it the same way Star Wars does. Everyone speaks Galactic Basic (English) and the minority speak Huttese.
    Wow, I totally missed that part about Mordin studying in a Buddhist monastery, that makes him even cooler than I originally thought! Your other explanations make perfect sense too--I assume in a multi-species society, it'd be easier to invent a "common" language that most everyone can use. Having Babelfish-type translators is cool and all, but you'd basically have to have them be sentient-level beings in order to translate correctly. And AI of that level is pretty rare in the ME universe, outside of EDI and that rogue AI on one of the side-missions.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nazrark View Post

Actually, pretty much everyone in Mass Effect universe has a translator (for example, in one of the conversations with Thane, Shepard says, "I think my translator just glitched. What did you call me?"). Also, I believe, at the time of Mass Effect 1 events, humans were relatively rare in C-Sec, they become the main force there after the Sovereign attack, when a lot of C-Sec officers died in the fighting and humans were the most eager to replace them.

As for Mordin, I didn't know this about him. When does he mention it?

Quote Originally Posted by Tidezen View Post
    If we ever meet aliens in my lifetime, and they are not Asari...I will be disappointed.
    Well, say, I wouldn't turn away a pretty Na'vi girl... But then, they look quite like the Asari.
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    Actually, pretty much everyone in Mass Effect universe has a translator (for example, in one of the conversations with Thane, Shepard says, "I think my translator just glitched. What did you call me?"). Also, I believe, at the time of Mass Effect 1 events, humans were relatively rare in C-Sec, they become the main force there after the Sovereign attack, when a lot of C-Sec officers died in the fighting and humans were the most eager to replace them.

As for Mordin, I didn't know this about him. When does he mention it?
    I believe he mentions it in ME2 before you get him to sing.

Deleted
    Well, say, I wouldn't turn away a pretty Na'vi girl...
    Take a moment to think about where you would be sticking it.

Deleted
    Something just occured to me. We're probably not getting the Normandy in the next ME game, as she's one of a kind... yet we've had the Normandy in all three games so far, so whatever we do get is gonna be new, wonder how that's gonna turn out... if we even get our own ship at all, might just be on a cruiser or something and use a shuttle for all we know. Speculations?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deylana View Post
    Something just occured to me. We're probably not getting the Normandy in the next ME game, as she's one of a kind... yet we've had the Normandy in all three games so far, so whatever we do get is gonna be new, wonder how that's gonna turn out... if we even get our own ship at all, might just be on a cruiser or something and use a shuttle for all we know. Speculations?
    To be honest, I would love to have race specific ships. Assuming we can play as other races apart from Human.

10+ Year Old Account
    Most likely a new design on a new frigate, mass effect had the vessel reiterated each game and there was also the ship used in kotor being different to it. Personally hoping there's no elevators in it.

Right now I'm really scared Bioware will fuck up ME4 like they fucked up Dragon Age 3. Why can't these people just stick to the successful recipe and just need to fuck shit up?!

If I had to guess (EDIT: HOPE), I'd say they will be moving the series in a more customizable direction. I think they painted themselves into a corner letting Shepherd become larger than life and the "OMG EPIC STORY" became larger than the gameplay. I'd bet on the story revolving around your decisions and other characters moreso than YOU. I'm hoping whoever YOU are is irrelevant - which would pave the way for different races/ships etc. It's more sustainable as far as a series goes, and it allows for more narrative freedom. Mass Effect suffered from major tunnel vision after the first game, or at least I perceived it as such.

I'd prefer it if the game focused on smaller, less connected stories that offered more variety and from different perspectives rather than a runaway locomotive space opera where everything is significant and the main story is so pervasive. I guess I just prefer the way Bethesda does it, where the main story is a small fraction of the game. Isn't Dragon Age:I like this too though?

One cool way to accomplish this would be have no main character. You can play as any squadmate you want most of the time, but you must play as certain members for their "loyalty missions".
    Last edited by 87Octane; 2014-12-26 at 07:58 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Criiz View Post
    To be honest, I would love to have race specific ships. Assuming we can play as other races apart from Human.
    They've already confirmed the protagonist will be human only :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Random Word View Post
    Right now I'm really scared Bioware will fuck up ME4 like they fucked up Dragon Age 3. Why can't these people just stick to the successful recipe and just need to fuck shit up?!
    Well they did fuck up some stuff in ME3 as well. The atrocious journal and ridiculous amount of pointless fetch quests for example.

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe because playing the same game for decades is boring? If you want the "successful recipe", you are free to play the older games, but most people want something new to play, not Baldur's Gate recycled the 100000th time.

How did they fuck up DA3? Other than DA: Origin super fanboys, it has gotten a pretty good reception.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    How did they fuck up DA3? Other than DA: Origin super fanboys, it has gotten a pretty good reception.
    In fact, on, for example, IGN it got the community rating of 9.1, exactly as much as DAO got.

10+ Year Old Account
    Technically we had two Normandy's. The SR-2 is a remake of the destroyed SR-1.

- - - Updated - - -

DA3 was a fuck up?

That's news to me. Both my Inquisitors would like a word with you . . .
    Putin khuliyo

Maybe because playing the same game for decades is boring? If you want the "successful recipe", you are free to play the older games, but most people want something new to play, not Baldur's Gate recycled the 100000th time.
    Because having good characters and a engaging story and meaningful and well implemented mechanics is bad now? ;D

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Technically we had two Normandy's. The SR-2 is a remake of the destroyed SR-1.
    True, I keep forgetting that :P They were fairly samey in feel, but the SR-2 was much larger after all.