Quote Originally Posted by khalltusk View Post
    HETHEN! ME2 ending was my fav XD
    I don't know, a giant T-800 was a bit awkward... The overall suicide mission was awesome, I agree, but the human Reaper was a joke, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    I think I have done that as well in this very thread previously when the discussion arose, even so it still doesn't make any sense that an EMP blast would be able to travel via the relay network since the game lore dictates that you need to use element zero to achieve negative mass and reach over light speed, which is 1c. An EMP blast is just particles being sent forwards. .
    Well, a EMP blast of a certain signature, potentially, can make some really complex change. If you make a very-very precise frequency line, you theoretically could, pretty much, cause any genetic change in any organic in the universe (if we ignore the uncertainty principle, of course, which probably would make it impossible on the scale of the whole galaxy). Also, the zero element lacks any really detailed explanation in Mass Effect, so it is possible it has some really weird properties making it much easier to do what this blast does - since the Reapers can affect organic minds by emitting certain waves, I guess other drastic effects are also possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Gravath View Post
    Once - an ancient race escaped the reapers reaping. Now they are coming back, with VENGEANCE!

Or it's a threat that the reapers once extinguished, the "original" reason for the leviathans to create the A.I.
    In the first case, I don't think coming back with vengeance after the Reapers have already been defeated is very logical...
    But I like the second possibility. I would actually, probably, prefer that among all other possibilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    Just a quick science note: the only change in DNA that radiation can cause is DAMAGE. Also Synthetics have no DNA.
    "Accidentally": the only change in electronics that energy discharge can cause is DAMAGE.
    Not really. Controllable radiation is actually often used in medicine to remove cancer knots, to help the skin recover after chemical damage, to kill various viruses without negatively affecting the organism. And we are only starting to reap benefits of this technology, there are way more advanced projects, and, I believe, controllable DNA change is already possible by these methods, we just do not understand DNA well enough to really achieve anything useful with it.

The Crucible has been built for a long time, maybe for millions years. It is logical that they would be able to perfect the technology in the meantime.

Blast wave traveling at FTL speed is... to quote Mordin - problematic
    Not really. Remember that the mass effect is not just Higgs-like way to affect particle masses, it is more of a way to affect the space-time itself. If the eezo particle-waves are emitted before the main blast, then it can theoretically travel at any speed - of course, it depends on what the eezo really is, as the information we have in the game on this is quite scarce.

Quote Originally Posted by pateuvasiliu View Post
    There's only like 3 of them left. I doubt they are any threat. The races know where they hide and can nuke the planet from orbit.
    We don't know how many of them are left, we just met only 3. They themselves said that many of them scattered in hidden corners of the Galaxy, so potentially there might be thousands, if not millions, more of them.
    i7 4790k | GTX 980 | Crucial MX100 256GB | Ripjaws Z 16GB 2133MHz | Asus Z97 Pro | Seagate Barracuda 1TB | Noctua NH-U14S | Corsair Air 540 | SeaSonic 750W | Windows 8.1 64-bit
    ---
    Samsung HU8550 50" 4K TV | Corsair K70 | Logitech G400s
    ---
    Sennheiser HD600 | Schiit Magni | Schiit Modi

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    Not really. Controllable radiation is actually often used in medicine to remove cancer knots, to help the skin recover after chemical damage, to kill various viruses without negatively affecting the organism.
    Damaging cancer cells
    Damaging skin cells - to force regeneration
    Damaging viruses
    None of the above are DNA though

Doesn't look like you are arguing with me at all

Also Blast wave is in no way a controlled application of radiation.

Not really. Remember that the mass effect
    Blasts waves are not affected by Mass Effect. And it is seen in the game that blast wave is slow - like a car.

Also Blast wave is in no way a controlled application of radiation.
    What control? We just nuke the universe with SCIENCE charged eezo.

We don't know how many of them are left, we just met only 3. They themselves said that many of them scattered in hidden corners of the Galaxy, so potentially there might be thousands, if not millions, more of them.
    Exactly. The ones we met didn't say 'we're the only ones left, QQ'. There's no telling how many were in hiding, and they obviously had the means to decimate even the most powerful Reapers when the circumstances favored them.

When I beat that DLC, all I could think to myself was "wow... these guys are gonna be a reeeeeally big problem some day."
    I'm not a defender of Blizzard, I'm an opponent of stupid.

In the first case, I don't think coming back with vengeance after the Reapers have already been defeated is very logical...
    But I like the second possibility. I would actually, probably, prefer that among all other possibilities.
    Reapers are still around in Blue/Green.

I don't know, a giant T-800 was a bit awkward... The overall suicide mission was awesome, I agree, but the human Reaper was a joke, IMO.

Well, a EMP blast of a certain signature, potentially, can make some really complex change. If you make a very-very precise frequency line, you theoretically could, pretty much, cause any genetic change in any organic in the universe (if we ignore the uncertainty principle, of course, which probably would make it impossible on the scale of the whole galaxy). Also, the zero element lacks any really detailed explanation in Mass Effect, so it is possible it has some really weird properties making it much easier to do what this blast does - since the Reapers can affect organic minds by emitting certain waves, I guess other drastic effects are also possible.

Not really. Controllable radiation is actually often used in medicine to remove cancer knots, to help the skin recover after chemical damage, to kill various viruses without negatively affecting the organism. And we are only starting to reap benefits of this technology, there are way more advanced projects, and, I believe, controllable DNA change is already possible by these methods, we just do not understand DNA well enough to really achieve anything useful with it.

The Crucible has been built for a long time, maybe for millions years. It is logical that they would be able to perfect the technology in the meantime.

Not really. Remember that the mass effect is not just Higgs-like way to affect particle masses, it is more of a way to affect the space-time itself. If the eezo particle-waves are emitted before the main blast, then it can theoretically travel at any speed - of course, it depends on what the eezo really is, as the information we have in the game on this is quite scarce.

The Human reaper was "ok" I still to this day dont understand why the reapers were bothering with it. If they were already on their way here after ME1 then it was pointless trying to make one with the collectors. As they would have just had to have brought it to Earth to complete it anyway. I guess a headstart would have been nice.

We don't know how many of them are left, we just met only 3.
    The whole questline was so we can find them. The detection only reveals that aquatic planet and only 3 of them are left.

There's no proof to indicate there are more. Even the fact that 3 Reaper-sized creatures somehow hid from the Reapers for MILLIONS OF YEARS ( every 50K years a reaper is born and there's a shit ton of them ) whereas Shepard found them in a few weeks is odd to me.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by khalltusk View Post
    The Human reaper was "ok" I still to this day dont understand why the reapers were bothering with it. If they were already on their way here after ME1 then it was pointless trying to make one with the collectors. As they would have just had to have brought it to Earth to complete it anyway. I guess a headstart would have been nice.
    My 2c is The Collectors were used by the Reapers to bait Shepard. Shepard was always the target. They simply attacked humans to make him more reckless ( arguably assaulting a giant base with only 12 men is suicidal ).

Doubt they expected Shepard to beat them.

And the Reaper was just a side bonus. We're already killing thousand of humans, no? Might as well make something pretty out of it.

The whole questline was so we can find them. The detection only reveals that aquatic planet and only 3 of them are left.

There's no proof to indicate there are more.
    The whole questline was to find whatever killed the supposed Leviathan of Dis, there was no hint to multiple entities prior to meeting the three. And then they outright say that there are more.

Damaging cancer cells
    Damaging skin cells - to force regeneration
    Damaging viruses
    This is just semantics. You can say that everything anything does is damage, like you are damaging transistors with electron radiation when you press keys on the keyboard and they let a signal to the internal hardware. I fail to see how it means we can't create anything by these means though.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mutation_breeding

Blasts waves are not affected by Mass Effect. And it is seen in the game that blast wave is slow - like a car.
    Pfff, you are not even trying to think... The initial blast wave is slow, but then it speeds up - this is the case with, pretty much, any detonation, if you read on physics of it. Seriously, dude, it is clear that you've already made up your mind and you refuse to even consider possibilities of what's shown in the game - and that is the case with, pretty much, every hater in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    When I beat that DLC, all I could think to myself was "wow... these guys are gonna be a reeeeeally big problem some day."
    The most scary thing for me was the fact that they didn't seem to show any remorse for their actions. Like, they had countless millions, maybe over a billion, years to understand their mistakes - and yet they are joining the war with the words: "We won't fight for you. The Reapers will be our slaves again". They still just want to be the dominating race in the Galaxy, they haven't learned anything, and, given their intellectual advancement and countless millions years to refine their strategies, I think, should they make a full-scale return - and the Reapers will look like kittens in comparison.

Reapers are still around in Blue/Green.
    They aren't a threat to organics though in every case.

There's no proof to indicate there are more.
    Sorry, but this is the worst argument I've ever heard. Of course there is no proof, they haven't hidden from Reapers for millions years only to reveal themselves to some random organic. What kind of proof would you expect?
    i7 4790k | GTX 980 | Crucial MX100 256GB | Ripjaws Z 16GB 2133MHz | Asus Z97 Pro | Seagate Barracuda 1TB | Noctua NH-U14S | Corsair Air 540 | SeaSonic 750W | Windows 8.1 64-bit
    ---
    ---

This is just semantics. You can say that everything anything does is damage, like you are damaging transistors with electron radiation when you press keys on the keyboard and they let a signal to the internal hardware.
    That was not semantics. Semantics is what you are doing now. Radiation damages DNA. Period. Keys on my keyboard send signals to my computer - the transistor is just there to pass it at expense of its own lifespan. It's its job. To die for my key presses. Signals are not meant for it - they are meant for my computer.
    It's a controlled, DESIGNED, process.

Blast wave of radiation is not.
    I fail to see how it means we can't create anything by these means though.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mutation_breeding
    Quit mentioning CONTROLLED PROCESSES. If you apply radiation to a specific part of DNA to achieve the effect you want to achieve - it's one thing. Washing DNA with radiation - indiscriminately - is another.

Pfff, you are not even trying to think... The initial blast wave is slow, but then it speeds up - this is the case with, pretty much, any detonation, if you read on physics of it.
    Not... sure... if... serious...

Brace yourselves - remember those Test Nuclear Blasts of the past? Their blast waves are about to hit us again as they make another pass around the Earth! This time they will be even STRONGER.

It's been almost exactly 5 years since the release of ME2. Five. Years. Half a decade has passed. What the actual...?? I still remember the night it unlocked in EU. Played until the early hours.
    Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    I only saw a few minutes of it but it looked slicker than a lubed up olympic swimmer fleeing from a shark.

Sorry, but this is the worst argument I've ever heard. Of course there is no proof, they haven't hidden from Reapers for millions years only to reveal themselves to some random organic. What kind of proof would you expect?
    Or you know. Since the reapers genocided them they're almost extinct and as such only a few remain.

snip
    You are bringing the subjective factor to the processes that don't have one (popular mistake in this thread, it seems). Nature, physics, cosmos don't care about your definitions of "controlled" or "uncontrolled" process. Radiation is radiation, and process is process, no matter who controls it - humans are just as much controlled by biology and physics as anything else, so for the DNA chain it doesn't matter who pulls the trigger. And if humans can affect DNA with a certain radiation signature, then I fail to see why a device created by much more advanced species can't. If you read the article I linked, you will learn that one of the ways of creating GMO crops is radiating them entirely with a certain frequency line - now, it doesn't affect DNA directly (at least, not in the first generation), but it does affect other mini-organisms (cells, for example), and DNA is just a set of mini-organisms and just as much can be affected by radiation positively.

Or you know. Since the reapers genocided them they're almost extinct and as such only a few remain.
    How does "only a few" equal three?
    Last edited by May90; 2015-01-23 at 05:39 AM.
    ---
    ---

due to lack of any decent sci-fi rpg out there, I'm back for another playthrough here

I really wish we would get some kind of ME4 news. DA:I has been out for a while now, time for Bioware to move on to their masterpiece.

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    due to lack of any decent sci-fi rpg out there, I'm back for another playthrough here

I really wish we would get some kind of ME4 news. DA:I has been out for a while now, time for Bioware to move on to their masterpiece.
    BioWare appears to have some presence at PAX South last I heard. Perhaps we'll get some teasers?
    Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    I only saw a few minutes of it but it looked slicker than a lubed up olympic swimmer fleeing from a shark.

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    time for Bioware to move on to their masterpiece.
    Remember when people thought that DA:I was going to be their masterpiece?

Personally I thought dai was pretty damned good.
    Still bitter.

DA:I is not a bad game in itself but it certainly wasn't what a fair bit of people expected from Bioware.
    Words are not evidence. And really I only care about proof. Evidence is not proof.

well I really enjoyed it

but I mean Mass Effect as a whole as their masterpiece. It is the best IP that BioWare has.