Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    I dont watch regional Soccer, but I remember last FIFA-World Cup... Spain vs. Germany
    we were at a bar and watched it on a projection-screen...

anyway it was a german bar in germany... and when spain shot the 1:0... there were these 2 Guys cheering up with trollface.jpg... and even I had the urge to punch them... cuz they werent fans of spain, they were just against germany... I dont like that kinda attitude...

nonetheless... I imagine if more alcohol is involved I see this thing easily escalating... because Guy 1 is frustrated and Guy B is upbeat... which frustrates Guy 1 even more... and if Guy B is a total dick and Guy 1 over-aggresive... you dont need soccer for this to be an disaster...

and I guess this also applies for regional soccer teams...

well and there is another theory... certain people just love violence... and soccer is the most popular sport... so if you are looking for trouble... you look at popular places... ergo soccer-places...

p.s.: I prefer Tennis - never heard of Federer-Hooligans... and even though there are players I dont like... I rarely see myself judging others for their favourite players... but I tend to hate people who are pickin on my Caroline...

Quote Originally Posted by Istaril View Post
    I was being serious. No one has ever been able to come up with an answer for it.
    They're both Football.

One is American Football, one is Association Football (abbreviated to Soccer.) Soccer would be considered a correct term even in our countries.

Each country will typically abbreviate their favoured game to just 'Football.' I'm pretty sure the Aussies do it with Australian Rules Football as well.

Of course, because Association Football is such a global thing the USA tend to stand out a bit with using it for another sport.

It will always be football to me, but even by our own languages, calling it soccer isn't actually wrong.

Surely it's far more of a global issue that they call trousers 'pants?'

15+ Year Old Account
    Well this thread has nothing to do with the original topic.

Here is a quick brush up on the forum rules for some of you:
    1) Do not make comments about American Football should be called Handegg or anything similar. Football is an acceptable term for American, Aussie, or Football as most of the world knows it.
    2) Don't get pissy about the use of the word Soccer and then try to blame the Americans for needing to be special using that term. They didn't invent that term for the game, the British did.