10+ Year Old Account

Satellite internet need advise!

Hey I just moved from a big town *amazing internet* to a farm which is 8km from a town *about 16k people* is there anything that I can do to get better internet *better packages or am i screwed*? and I just joined a really good 25man guild and dont want to blow it because of my internet able to handle the raids and such.

Probably screwed.
    You can look to see if you could get 3g/4g but the latency will still be pretty high. Also usually low bandwidth caps

Don't feel too bad, I lived like 2miles outside of a town of 50k people and our only choice was dialup satellite or 3g. Woo USA broadband coverage (although since you said km I doubt you live here in the states)

10+ Year Old Account
    Really depends on where you live. Some places are better then others & some companies use better tech then others.

I Live in Kansas about 15 miles outside of a town with only 2k people & use Kansas broadband satellite & it works fairly well, usually have a speed of over 1 megabyte a second in the evening & night time but during the morning - mid afternoon it goes to shit.

That said check your company out really well before you decide on anything, some companies limit bandwidth severely anymore & that can fuck up your gaming/downloading experience.

Hopefully these things get better in the future since scientists are finding better extremely effective ways to send information, for instance they recently found a way to send info via laser which is a couple hundred times faster then any previously known method. Though it will probably take a while for such tech to become mainstream.
    Last edited by zcks; 2012-02-01 at 11:57 PM.
    The way balancing for WOW PVP works is allot like American politics.
    1: Be lazy & ignore problems till the yelling is so loud your cant concentrate.
    2: Refuse to do the things you have Said need to be done, then make up reasons why they cannot be done.
    3: Lay the blame for problems on someone else even when it's your fault because you did all of the above.

10+ Year Old Account
    yeah i live in canada
    im really soory but i really dont know computers to well, anyways what do I need to look for in a company to know it good *tech wise*?

10+ Year Old Account
    On that I'm not really sure.

I get most of my hardware info from my friend Gary.

When he helped me find my ISP he said to be sure of a few things first.

1: Do they cap your bandwidth usage per month ? if so then that will suck for you.

2: Do they charge you extra for going over a certain amount of memory usage per month ?, again if they do you will need to be very careful or you will get bills on top of bills if you go over that limit.

3: What their actual speed is vs what they say it is. This can be effected by several factors like how how close you are to the station that sends the signal up, how many of those stations they have vs how many people they service, how old their gear is & in the case pf satellite what time of day it is since the sun can have some effect on radio waves.

The first 2 are fairly easy to find out, the third can be tricky & requires some online detective work as well as talking to people you know use their service.

At any rate I'm not to sure what you can get in Canada but I wish you the best of luck.
    Last edited by zcks; 2012-02-02 at 12:32 AM.
    The way balancing for WOW PVP works is allot like American politics.
    1: Be lazy & ignore problems till the yelling is so loud your cant concentrate.
    2: Refuse to do the things you have Said need to be done, then make up reasons why they cannot be done.
    3: Lay the blame for problems on someone else even when it's your fault because you did all of the above.

It used to not be worth a damn. I worked for them and could have gotten it for free, but I paid for cable instead, its that bad.