Mass Effect 3, Origin, and ethical dilemmas

I have been facing a serious dilemma for the last few weeks, and seek the guidance of the MMO champ community at large. Here is the situation.

I want to play ME3 on my PC, but I will not use Origin (for a myriad of reasons unimportant to this topic). Now, the only way I can think of to do this is piracy, but I do not endorse piracy and refuse to steal. So, my question is, is it ethical for me to buy a box version of ME3, but download a cracked, Origin free version to play instead? Or should I simply wait for EA to stop being, *ahem,* dumb, and put it on Steam?

I will be the first to admit that this is a morally grey course of action, but I figure that EA/Bioware still get their money, and I get to play the game I paid for. If you agree, why? If you don't, why not?

Its not morally grey at all. You have bought the product, you as a consumer have the right to make back-ups for self use. Cracking fits that criteria.

On the other hand if you disagree with Origin you should be talking with your wallet, not funding them more.

I'm curious, why does everyone hate Origin so much? All I ever see is, it's crap. But why?

I had to download Origin and log in once to download SWTOR digital version. But after that I've never even had to touch it. I just open SWTOR through it's own launcher now. If ME3 is going to be the same, what's the problem? I'm just curious to what the actual issue with it is. Next to EA wanting to start their own, worse version of steam. But companies like money, so that's nothing new.

OT: If you paid for an actual copy, I don't really see a problem with playing a pirated version ethically.
    The generalist looks outward; he looks for living principles, knowing full well that such principles change, that they develop. It is to the characteristics of change itself that the mentat-generalist must look. There can be no permanent catalogue of such change, no handbook or manual. You must look at it with as few preconceptions as possible, asking yourself, "Now what is this thing doing?" -Children of Dune

You could easily buy a box version and download a no-DVD crack. The whole Origin vs Steam is crap IMO. I don't see anyone complaining about TF2/Portal/Half life being available ONLY through Steam.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIinTeam View Post
    I do not endorse piracy and refuse to steal.

Or should I simply wait for EA to stop being, *ahem,* dumb, and put it on Steam?
    EA is trying to topple Steam down, they will never ever put their games on Steam again, unless they acknowledge their defeat in digital distribution service race. Which they won't. And by buying EA games on any platform you are still supporting Origin.
    I want to play ME3
    Why wouldn't you want to play it in the first place? ME franchise was killed with ME2 already. It's no longer a game, it's a product, a cash-cow. Writing and lore quality in general has dropped drastically, and all those tiny sprouts of RPG elements were stomped by the action oriented Gears of War style gameplay (actually I like GoW, but it's a DIFFERENT game). Hell, BioWare has hardly released anything good since... the early 2000's. It's not even the same studio anymore, most old staff left long time ago.
    It's your choice to support the way gaming industry is going right now - on-disc/first day DLC (actually fuck any DLCs, back in the days we had full blown Expansions), dumbed down gameplay, gay romances, blatant story retcons and asspuls, draconian DRM, etc - or not. You are making this choice with your money. But be aware of WHO you pay, and WHAT actually you pay for when buying something.
    That's why you need me.... Need someone to punish you for your sins.

Quote Originally Posted by Voidgazer View Post
    gay romances
    I can't tell if this is a homophobic comment or you are simply expressing your disdain for them.
    Asdfgh

10+ Year Old Account
    "EA is trying to topple Steam down, they will never ever put their games on Steam again, unless they acknowledge their defeat in digital distribution service race. Which they won't. And by buying EA games on any platform you are still supporting Origin."
    That´s actually not true (bold part) Kingdoms of Amalur Reckoning is on steam and that game is being published by EA, its just their triple A titles (Battlefield, Mass effect etc) that won´t come out on Steam, but its a impossible fight for them if their gonna try and take Steam´s spot as the #1 Digital seller of games, they lose more money not putting their games up on Steam since many people refuse to buy games if their not on Steam.
    Last edited by Torched; 2012-02-02 at 07:30 AM.
    “A man will contend for a false faith stronger than he will a true one,” he observes. “The truth defends itself, but a falsehood must be defended by its adherents: first to prove it to themselves and secondly, that they may appear right in the estimation of their friends.”
    -The Acts of Pilate.

15+ Year Old Account
    I have been facing a serious dilemma for the last few weeks, and seek the guidance of the MMO champ community at large. Here is the situation.

I want to play ME3 on my PC, but I will not use Origin (for a myriad of reasons unimportant to this topic). Now, the only way I can think of to do this is piracy, but I do not endorse piracy and refuse to steal. So, my question is, is it ethical for me to buy a box version of ME3, but download a cracked, Origin free version to play instead? Or should I simply wait for EA to stop being, *ahem,* dumb, and put it on Steam?

I will be the first to admit that this is a morally grey course of action, but I figure that EA/Bioware still get their money, and I get to play the game I paid for. If you agree, why? If you don't, why not?
    The reason why you will not use Origin has something to do with the thread imo. Otherwise I'd just get it for the console if it's that big of a deal you have with Origin. Either way, just buy it and play the darn game ><

Quote Originally Posted by Fawxey View Post
    On the other hand if you disagree with Origin you should be talking with your wallet, not funding them more.
    I have been talking with my wallet, which is why I returned BF3, don't have any DA:2 DLC (not that that was a big sacrifice) and don't play TOR. I also happen to like the ME franchise much, much more than any of those games, and so here I am in with my little dilemma.

Quote Originally Posted by RevanSparda View Post
    You could easily buy a box version and download a no-DVD crack. The whole Origin vs Steam is crap IMO. I don't see anyone complaining about TF2/Portal/Half life being available ONLY through Steam.
    I was playing Half Life long before Steam :P But seriously, the difference for me is that I like Valve and choose to use Steam, where as I distrust EA and wont let them force me to use a program I don't like. It didn't help that my short BF3 Origin experience was terrible too. For me, that is sufficient reason. If you don't agree, well, great, your point of view is just as valid as mine. I'm not here to sway opinions on Steam vs Origin.

EA is trying to topple Steam down, they will never ever put their games on Steam again, unless they acknowledge their defeat in digital distribution service race. Which they won't. And by buying EA games on any platform you are still supporting Origin.

Why wouldn't you want to play it in the first place? ME franchise was killed with ME2 already. It's no longer a game, it's a product, a cash-cow. Writing and lore quality in general has dropped drastically, and all those tiny sprouts of RPG elements were stomped by the action oriented Gears of War style gameplay (actually I like GoW, but it's a DIFFERENT game). Hell, BioWare has hardly released anything good since... the early 2000's. It's not even the same studio anymore, most old staff left long time ago.
    It's your choice to support the way gaming industry is going right now - on-disc/first day DLC (actually fuck any DLCs, back in the days we had full blown Expansions), dumbed down gameplay, gay romances, blatant story retcons and asspuls, draconian DRM, etc - or not. You are making this choice with your money. But be aware of WHO you pay, and WHAT actually you pay for when buying something.
    In this case, the difference between piracy and stealing is irrelevant; I still end up playing a game I didn't pay for. If the nuances help you feel justified in your actions, fine, but I don't and so wont be doing either of them. And while you are entitled to your opinion on Bioware in general and ME in specific, I personally enjoyed the games. I'm not here to argue the virtues or vices of a game company.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Torched View Post
    That´s actually not true (bold part) Kingdoms of Amalur Reckoning is on steam and that game is being published by EA, its just their triple A titles (Battlefield, Mass effect etc) that won´t come out on Steam, but its a impossible fight for them if their gonna try and take Steam´s spot as the #1 Digital seller of games, they lose more money not putting their games up on Steam since many people refuse to buy games if their not on Steam.
    That is not fully correct - yes, KoA:R is on Steam, but it's not because it wouldn't be a triple A title - it is!
    The reason why KoA:R is on Steam is, because it's NEW. It's a new IP, nobody knew about it beforehand, it needs to be known to as many people as possible. And that works best when you not only release it on Origin, but on Steam too, because Steam is used by a shitload of people and is quite good in advertising new AAA games.
    So yeah, EA doesn't like Steam at all and won't release their games on Steam if they can prevent it... but sometimes it's neccessary, luckily for us :>

Voidgazer,

Piracy is criminal conversion and is treated as theft in nearly all legal systems across the western world.

But no, if you purchase a copy of the game, and then DL a cracked version so you can play it without using Origin, you have not violated any laws. If you go ahead and sell/give that copy of the game away and you continue to use the cracked copy, you are.

Origin is Origin and Steam is Steam. The only difference between the two is that Steam has been out longer and EA wants people to start using its service for its games since they don't want to give a cut to Valve.

<snip>

Please don't post memes.
    Last edited by mmoc8b7a14d456; 2012-02-02 at 01:37 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Origin is Origin and Steam is Steam. The only difference between the two is that Steam has been out longer and EA wants people to start using its service for its games since they don't want to give a cut to Valve.
    I don't think it has much to do with them not wanting to give a cut (they would earn more money by selling on both steam and origin, than origin only). As far as I'm aware it's not EA who doesn't want to sell the games on Steam, it's Steam that doesn't want to sell the games because EA wants to sell their DLC through their own store instead of through Steam.

"Piracy makes a copy" argument is bullshit. Making copies of protected documents IS theft.
    The night is dark and full of terrors...

I'm just not buying/playing it at all until it's on Steam, or at least free of Origin, as if I give them my money, it's almost as if I'm condoning what they're doing. I know depriving them of my money isn't going to make a huge difference to EA, but if many people do it, hopefully they'll see they are shooting themselves in the foot and wise up.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by namelessone View Post
    "Piracy makes a copy" argument is bullshit. Making copies of protected documents IS theft.
    Theft is defined as "removing the original". Making a copy of protected documents is... Well, copying protected documents

Deleted
    Ofc it's not fair for EA who wants to infect your computer with spyware.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhoodexe View Post
    Theft is defined as "removing the original". Making a copy of protected documents is... Well, copying protected documents
    Actually theft is illegally aquireing someones property. Whether you take a copy, or the original, its theft according to the law.

Deleted
    This has spiralled into all sorts of debates not only irrelevant to the topic at hand, but also some which are against our rules.

I will have to lock this unfortunately.