15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Merkava View Post
    The Republican Party is the one that wanted those things? You should check your facts.
    Southern democrats switched over to the republican party and campaigned on those exact issues. Are you saying the republican party did not opposed the VRA and CRA? You know the RNC chairman in 2005 publicly apologized for what the republican party had stood for in the past right?
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    There is a problem, but I know just banning guns will fix the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Daelak View Post
    Southern democrats switched over to the republican party and campaigned on those exact issues. Are you saying the republican party did not opposed the VRA and CRA? You know the RNC chairman in 2005 publicly apologized for what the republican party had stood for in the past right?
    Wait a second. What exactly did he apologize for? Do you think he apologized for Republicans not supporting the Civil Rights Act?

The Republican Party is the one that wanted those things? You should check your facts.
    Yeah, it was Southern democrats, mainly, wasn't it? I'm a bit hazy on the politics in the south between 1865 and the civil rights act, 99 years later....

Edit: oh yeah, Daelak's post reminded me of the party switch...
    Last edited by belfpala; 2012-08-27 at 07:33 PM.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

15+ Year Old Account
    Wait a second. What exactly did he apologize for? Do you think he apologized for Republicans not supporting the Civil Rights Act?
    He apologized for making racism a central plank in the republican party's platform. Northern republicans left the party and joined the democrats, southern democrats joined the republican party. History.

10+ Year Old Account
    This quote pretty much sums up my political opinions on fiscal issues...

“Give a man a fish, he eats for a day; teach a man to fish, he eats for a lifetime.”
    Live Free...

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eomar View Post

“Give a man a fish, he eats for a day; teach a man to fish, he eats for a lifetime.”
    Equating the welfare programs of the largest tax-base in the world to a biblical quote is pretty sweet, I am sure you can run a country on that slogan.

He apologized for making racism a central plank in the republican party's platform. Northern republicans left the party and joined the democrats, southern democrats joined the republican party. History.
    Can you show me where he apologized for making racism a central plank? How about a quote?

There were 130 votes against the CRA in the House, and 3/4 of them were cast by democrats. In the Senate, on the vote to end the filibuster, 80% of the people voting against it were Democrats.
    Last edited by Merkava; 2012-08-27 at 07:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eomar View Post

This is probably closer to what is happening:

“Give a man a fish, he eats for a day; take a man's fish away and blame it on your opponents, he keeps voting for you."

15+ Year Old Account
    Can you show me where he apologized for making racism a central plank? How about a quote?

There were 130 votes against the CRA in the House, and 3/4 of them were cast by democrats. In the Senate, on the vote to end the filibuster, 80% of the people voting against it were Democrats.
    Yea southern democrats who defected and joined the republican party. You know, history.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yea what an unfounded claim against you know the party that wanted segregation and no civil rights for blacks and minorities. What is so hard to understand why blacks, women, and minorities will not vote for the republican party? They are actively trying to restrict the rights of these voting blocs consistently in states, and given their past history, these blocs do not trust them.
    lol.

I wish I could say I was shocked to see you pull the race card (again.)

I also wish I could read one of your posts that doesn't come across as a paranoid screed at best.

I'd also ask you to amend your statement to be factually accurate, but I would be silly in challenging you to present an actual fact. I mean, it's not even close, considering that if all women voted for democrats, Republicans literally couldn't win.

I'd also like your opinion on this gentleman's opinion:

Analysis of this issue launched Mr. Williams's career as a public intellectual, and in 1982 he published his first book, "The State Against Blacks," arguing that laws regulating economic activity are far larger impediments to black progress than racial bigotry and discrimination. Nearly 30 years later, he stands by that premise.

"Racial discrimination is not the problem of black people that it used to be" in his youth, says Mr. Williams. "Today I doubt you could find any significant problem that blacks face that is caused by racial discrimination. The 70% illegitimacy rate is a devastating problem, but it doesn't have a damn thing to do with racism. The fact that in some areas black people are huddled in their homes at night, sometimes serving meals on the floor so they don't get hit by a stray bullet—that's not because the Klan is riding through the neighborhood."
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...050061598.html
    indignantgoat.com/
    XBL: Indignant Goat | BattleTag: IndiGoat#1288 | SteamID: Indignant Goat[/B]

Yea southern democrats who defected and joined the republican party. You know, history.
    How does democrats switching sides explain why more democrats overwhelmingly voted against the Civil Rights Act?

15+ Year Old Account
    How does democrats switching sides explain why more democrats overwhelmingly voted against the Civil Rights Act?
    They were southern democrats, after those votes they joined the republican party.

By using the common name "Democrats" to describe two very different groups of people you are just muddling things.

It was the southern conservatives who mostly voted against it. They used to be in the Democratic Party. Then they shifted to the Republican Party.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ptwonline View Post
    By using the common name "Democrats" to describe two very different groups of people you are just muddling things.

It was the southern conservatives who mostly voted against it. They used to be in the Democratic Party. Then they shifted to the Republican Party.
    So, what you're saying, is that when they voted against the CRA, they were Democrats?

So, essentially, southern racist Democrats infiltrated the Republican Party?
    indignantgoat.com/
    XBL: Indignant Goat | BattleTag: IndiGoat#1288 | SteamID: Indignant Goat[/B]

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bergmann620 View Post
    lol.

I wish I could say I was shocked to see you pull the race card (again.)

I also wish I could read one of your posts that doesn't come across as a paranoid screed at best.

I'd also ask you to amend your statement to be factually accurate, but I would be silly in challenging you to present an actual fact. I mean, it's not even close, considering that if all women voted for democrats, Republicans literally couldn't win.

I'd also like your opinion on this gentleman's opinion:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...050061598.html
    You tell me Berg why don't minorities and blacks and women vote for the republican party? If it's paranoid screed I am saying I would like to know the truth to the reasoning of why they don't vote for them, because it seems like you know.

Laws regulating economic activity? What does that mean? What specifically is he saying?

Mr. Williams doesn't want to believe that there are still white supremacists that still openly discriminate and call for segregation. The 70% illegitimacy rate is what happens when you rip millions of people out of their native homelands and make them work for generations, having no culture, no rights, beaten, and no morale. They have and are still being systematically ignored in our society. Yes, some have made great strides, but for many of them, they think themselves as sub-human due to the society they live in.

---------- Post added 2012-08-27 at 08:01 PM ----------

So, what you're saying, is that when they voted against the CRA, they were Democrats?

Yes racist southern democrats switched to the republican party.
    Last edited by Daelak; 2012-08-27 at 08:00 PM.

They were southern democrats, after those votes they joined the republican party.
    Here's how they voted in the Civil Rights Act.

House of Representatives:
    Democrats for: 152
    Democrats against: 96
    Republicans for: 138
    Republicans against: 34

Senate:
    Democrats for: 46
    Democrats against: 21
    Republicans for: 27
    Republicans against: 6

How many of those Democrats that voted no actually switched parties?

Essentially, yes. And the Republican Party accepted them.

Edit: It was called the Southern Strategy, I believe, and it seems to have worked.
    Last edited by belfpala; 2012-08-27 at 08:03 PM.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

10+ Year Old Account
    FFS -- are we seriously talking about party politics from the 60s? That is completely irrelevant given today's parties.

Hell, the current parties barely resemble their parties from 20 years ago, much less 60 years ago.

It's completely irrelevant.
    Forum badass alert:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    It's called resistance / rebellion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    Also, one day the tables might turn.

15+ Year Old Account
    Here's how they voted in the Civil Rights Act.

House of Representatives:
    Democrats for: 152
    Democrats against: 96
    Republicans for: 138
    Republicans against: 34

Senate:
    Democrats for: 46
    Democrats against: 21
    Republicans for: 27
    Republicans against: 6

How many of those Democrats that voted no actually switched parties?
    A lot of them. There were probably two that stayed in. Do you not believe that happened in the 1960s?

Democrats used to be the home for the southern conservatives which included the racists. Now they call the Republican Party their home.

I know that you guys are simply trying to associate the Democratic Party in general with racism in order to try to get the current Republican Party off the hook for the current racism they are espousing, but you're really not going to convince anyone because the distinction is very simple and clear.