Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    If the mandate is overturned, I'd love to see the health-care industry file a suit so that they don't have to cover those that don't get insurance. Because either way I'm tired of paying for others. Either they pay for themselves or they can lie (or die) with the consequences. After all, that way my freedom to not subsidize freeloaders is intact.
    I pray we never become a society that is ok with people dying when they can't afford care.

Quote Originally Posted by moogogaipan View Post
    we need 1.6 trillion a year for the military, we can't afford the price for healtcare, sorry. ( that is also why the VA is garbage too, rite?)
    It's somewhat analogous to unborn fetuses versus babies. They care until you get out, then they don't get a sh*t.

---------- Post added 2012-06-27 at 07:05 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    I pray we never become a society that is ok with people dying when they can't afford care.
    Can't afford is far different than can't prioritize. We have enough handouts.
    Last edited by Rukentuts; 2012-06-28 at 12:07 AM.

We already are.
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by moogogaipan View Post
    we need 1.6 trillion a year for the military, we can't afford the price for healtcare, sorry. ( that is also why the VA is garbage too, rite?)
    This is what I always find ridicuous about the Conservative position. It's stupid, but at least it's consistent right? They're totally okay with people giving their arms, their legs, their lives to fight for their country, but when it comes to caring for them after they're fought, bled and died for us, nope sorry, healthcare sucks, even for veterans.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    This is what I always find ridicuous about the Conservative position. It's stupid, but at least it's consistent right? They're totally okay with people giving their arms, their legs, their lives to fight for their country, but when it comes to caring for them after they're fought, bled and died for us, nope sorry, healthcare sucks, even for veterans.
    We only exist for them, that is why.
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    I find this to be a pretty typical liberal translation of the conservative position.

This is my view, healthcare costs suck. They are waaaaaaaaaay too fucking high, we need to address this asap. And there are ways to do it.

But the answer is not the piece of shit legislation proposed by our current government.

Quote Originally Posted by Riidii View Post
    I find this to be a pretty typical liberal translation of the conservative position.

This is my view, healthcare costs suck. They are waaaaaaaaaay too fucking high, we need to address this asap. And there are ways to do it.

But the answer is not the piece of shit legislation proposed by our current government.
    Then what is it? Romenycare worked SO WELL it became OBAMACARE, fuck that now even tho it's a cheaper move per year then funding our bombs and guns...

OH and if it is just a liberal translation, why is the VA shit, even tho 1.6 trillion is given to the armed forces every year? Why do our vets suffer with sub par care?

Hear hear.

Let's get costs under control and improve the economy so more people can fall under employer health plans.

Is that why the Republicans don't have any proposals for replacements after they repeal Obamacare?

Employer health plans are just a bad model for universal coverage.

---------- Post added 2012-06-28 at 12:24 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Is that why the Republicans don't have any proposals for replacements after they repeal Obamacare?
    Last time they did the democrats adopted it a few years later and they had to argue against it.

Its kinda awkward.

10+ Year Old Account

I find this so typical of the Republican position: "obviously we need to do something, but not this, what we need to do though? I have no clue."

Great, thanks. Sometimes a bad solution to a bad situation is better than no solution to a bad situation.

Yes, healthcare costs suck, thanks for pointing out the obvious, we've been aware of this fact for what, 40 years now? VA healthcare has sucked since well, basically forever to boot. These aren't exactly problems that we haven't had sitting around, they didn't just show up and smack us in the face. We've been staring them down for decades playing a game of chicken and wondering who is going to blink. Well, the Healthcare Industry hasn't blinked and Congress has only gotten it's head deeper in it's ass.

Oh, and the Healthcare plan? It's basically the one the Republicans were pushing in the 90's and almost a clone of the one Romney passed. So if you're looking to the Republicans for a better solution? They sure as heck don't have it, because the suck solution you're complaining about now was stolen from them.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

---------- Post added 2012-06-28 at 12:24 AM ----------

Last time they did the democrats adopted it a few years later and they had to argue against it.

Its kinda awkward.
    I see what you did there.

Most supporters of the employer health plan model don't seem to realize that it arose as a result of wage controls, not because it's a pragmatic way to handle health care. There's no reason whatsoever to believe it's a good model for health care, particularly in a de-unionizing nation.

The end goal should not be universal coverage.

It should be price reduction though competition, a thriving health care market.

It's good to see someone be honest about the desired outcome of Republican policies. Now, if only we could get Romney to say the same thing, this would bode delightfully for Dem chances.

You don't want everyone having access to health care?

10+ Year Old Account

It should be price reduction though competition, a thriving health care market.
    Well, universal anything is pretty much impossible, but the goal should still be the greatest amount of coverage for the best price.

Just, be kind.

You don't want everyone having access to health care?
    When everyone contributes, then yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    It's good to see someone be honest about the desired outcome of Republican policies. Now, if only we could get Romney to say the same thing, this would bode delightfully for Dem chances.
    He's not the only one

Unfortunately the Republicans do not stand a chance. Its the same recycled ideas that have been proven by history to fail.

But enough doom and gloom, how about something positive? How about a solution?

To save the economy we need jobs. Fortunately we have jobs that need to be done. We have a crumbling infrastructure, bridges, roads, and power grid. There are thousands of unemployed skilled workers in the trades, carpenters, ect. that lost their jobs when the housing market crashed.

What we need is an old idea that worked and history proved it. We need a national public works project like the hover dam. Now I know the first thing out of the gate from my Republican friends will be "Where will the money come from, we can't afford it, we have a huge national debt!".

If we fund this we will put thousands if not near a million people back to work. That means thousands if not a near millions of people THAT PAY TAXES. Taxes repay the money spent over time that was fronted to start these projects. We have a revenue income problem in this country first and foremost. Yes there are some spending issues, but the largest part of this equation is the lack of income.

These projects need to be done to maintain the quality of life we have come to expect. You want faster internet, you want smooth roads, you want safe bridges?

You want a stable middle class?

You want this recession to be over?

You want to see people going back to work?

It can be done. But not by the current Republican way of thinking, slash and burn, all for the 1%, I don't care about the country as long as I get mine mentality. And certainly not by this Manchurian Candidate Mitt Romney.

Wake up and vote for your own self interests instead of against them, choose someone who represents you, not the big corporations.