1. #14841
    Herald of the Titans
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Northwest USA
    Posts
    2,708
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    Pardon? I have no idea what you're talking about.
    do you believe that without extensive welfare programs and other social safety nets that low income people living in urban environments would not be able to take care of themselves properly?
    the most beautiful post I have ever read.. thank you Dr-1337 http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...1#post22624432

  2. #14842
    Banned Daelak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    4,242
    Quote Originally Posted by KingHorse View Post
    Perhaps we should all write out Congressmen and explain to them that when they don't want something passed, they shouldn't campaign endlessly for it, vote almost unanimously in favor of it, deride anyone who voted against it, repeatedly shoot down attempts to get rid of it, and campaign on their success in passing it. It muddies the water a bit.
    I say we all write our congressmen to repeal the act that they passed in 1929 that restricts the house of reps. to only 435 fucking members. We need at least 3,000 more.

  3. #14843
    Warchief psdew1813's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    undisclosed location in CA
    Posts
    1,883
    Quote Originally Posted by ishootblanks View Post
    ok.. so the southern states that are currently growing like crazy compared to the more liberal northern midwest states are currently poorer than the coastal states.. that doesn't mean the people that live there are slaves to anything..

    and my comment was not because of the fact that I disagree with you.. it's because of what you said.. there was absolutely nothing of value added to the conversation in that post other than an angry condescending attempt at twisting what I said into whatever it was you were trying to pretend I said..
    so you raving about a conspiracy by the left to enslave the inner city poor doesn't seem like i don't know. bullshit? unless you can validate what spews out of your mouth don't be surprised if people call you on it.

  4. #14844
    The Insane Cattaclysmic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Århus
    Posts
    17,837
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Actually countries that do that enjoy incredibly low teen pregnancy rates. Its virtually unheard of in parts of Europe.

    And I agree, lots of unwanted children do cost more than free condoms and sex ed.
    True that - my sister had a friend who was 21 and already expecting her second child - and we were both like... holy shit.

    My dad is 30 years older than me and everyone i met at Law school were like - Oh, your parents are really young.
    I can say that at least here, its uncommon to get kids before late 20s but it happens. They obviously made a television program about those dimwits who get kids at 16 and its painfully obvious that they arent the brightest.

  5. #14845
    Herald of the Titans
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Northwest USA
    Posts
    2,708
    Quote Originally Posted by Daelak View Post
    I say we all write our congressmen to repeal the act that they passed in 1929 that restricts the house of reps. to only 435 fucking members. We need at least 3,000 more.
    if we can't get things to happen with 435 congressmen.. what makes you think anything more would get done with 3500?
    the most beautiful post I have ever read.. thank you Dr-1337 http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...1#post22624432

  6. #14846
    Immortal mistuhbull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Quel'Thalas
    Posts
    7,045
    Quote Originally Posted by ishootblanks View Post
    if we can't get things to happen with 435 congressmen.. what makes you think anything more would get done with 3500?
    isn't that what you want, a completley ineffectual government that does nothing?

    It's what you espouse on these forums
    Theron/Bloodwatcher 2013!

    Quote Originally Posted by Alsompr View Post
    Teasing, misdirection. It's the opposite of a spoiler. People expect one thing? BAM! Another thing happens.

    I'm like M. Night fucking Shamylan.

  7. #14847
    Banned Daelak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    4,242
    Quote Originally Posted by ishootblanks View Post
    if we can't get things to happen with 435 congressmen.. what makes you think anything more would get done with 3500?
    Of course you could. Just imagine a congressman that is in your fucking district for at least 10 months out of the year and the government slary he gets won't be enough to live on. And instead of representing 50 counties, he represents your fucking town.

  8. #14848
    The Lightbringer KingHorse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Somewhere in KY, USA
    Posts
    3,742
    Quote Originally Posted by Daelak View Post
    I say we all write our congressmen to repeal the act that they passed in 1929 that restricts the house of reps. to only 435 fucking members. We need at least 3,000 more.
    I can think of one really good reason for that, but I'm interested in yours. Share?

    Also: I'm in favor of universal healthcare, but AHCA is not that. It is a pile of shit. I don't like shit. I like healthcare.
    I don't argue to be right, I argue to be proven wrong. Because I'm aware that the collective intelligence of the community likely has more to offer to me by enlightening me, than I do to an individual by "winning" an argument with them.
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    I don't always wear tennis shoes, but when I do, I speak Russian. In French.

  9. #14849
    Quote Originally Posted by ishootblanks View Post
    do you believe that without extensive welfare programs and other social safety nets that low income people living in urban environments would not be able to take care of themselves properly?
    To an extent. Your comment seemed more like "omg teh Liberals in Urban Areas have a massive Conspiracy to create more Liberals and trap themselves in teh Urban Area!"

    I live in one. If we do have some kind of conspiracy, I haven't gotten the memo.

  10. #14850
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    I live in one. If we do have some kind of conspiracy, I haven't gotten the memo.
    Due to government inefficiency, the memos were delayed. Stupid government is so bad and stupid!

    /sarc

  11. #14851
    Banned Daelak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    4,242
    Quote Originally Posted by KingHorse View Post
    I can think of one really good reason for that, but I'm interested in yours. Share?

    Also: I'm in favor of universal healthcare, but AHCA is not that. It is a pile of shit. I don't like shit. I like healthcare.
    One good reason for expanding our house of representatives? Because they are violating the fucking constitution. We shall not have more than 1 congressperson per 30,000 people, right now we are averaging 1 per 700,000, that is too much centralized power.

    ---------- Post added 2012-07-23 at 10:26 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Due to government inefficiency, the memos were delayed. Stupid government is so bad and stupid!

    /sarc
    LOL /10chars

  12. #14852
    Herald of the Titans
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Northwest USA
    Posts
    2,708
    Quote Originally Posted by mistuhbull View Post
    isn't that what you want, a completley ineffectual government that does nothing?

    It's what you espouse on these forums
    no.. and no it's not.. what I want is a small and responsive government that when it can't reach an agreement does nothing... more people would just mean more legislation and it would just bog down the system so badly that even things that NEED to be done.. such as reign in government spending would never get done..

    technically you could accomplish the same thing with 3 people.. (and no I am not advocating reducing government to 3 people)
    the most beautiful post I have ever read.. thank you Dr-1337 http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...1#post22624432

  13. #14853
    Quote Originally Posted by ishootblanks View Post
    technically you could accomplish the same thing with 3 people.. (and no I am not advocating reducing government to 3 people)
    Yeah... Didn't the Romans try that, or something?

    Where did my history books go...

  14. #14854
    Quote Originally Posted by Daelak View Post
    One good reason for expanding our house of representatives? Because they are violating the fucking constitution. We shall not have more than 1 congressperson per 30,000 people, right now we are averaging 1 per 700,000, that is too much centralized power
    As far as I know, this was a proposed Amendment that was never passed. Do you have different information that I could review? I can't find this in the Constitution.

  15. #14855
    Banned Daelak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    4,242
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    As far as I know, this was a proposed Amendment that was never passed. Do you have different information that I could review? I can't find this in the Constitution.
    Yea it was the one that wasn't ratified; I really like this group, but I don't know if shit isn't going to get done. Even crazy conservatives like ishootblanks should be able to get behind this.

    http://www.thirty-thousand.org/index.htm

  16. #14856
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    As far as I know, this was a proposed Amendment that was never passed. Do you have different information that I could review? I can't find this in the Constitution.
    It's in Article 1, Section 2 (the long paragraph).

    It sets an upper bound, but not a lower bound, for representatives per capita.

  17. #14857
    Herald of the Titans
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Northwest USA
    Posts
    2,708
    Quote Originally Posted by Daelak View Post
    Yea it was the one that wasn't ratified; I really like this group, but I don't know if shit isn't going to get done. Even crazy conservatives like ishootblanks should be able to get behind this.

    http://www.thirty-thousand.org/index.htm
    crazy people could get behind that.. I can agree with you there..

    but no.. this many representatives for one would be so insanely expensive that we couldn't afford it.. for two.. there would never be an end to the campaigning and constant bombardment of political campaigning.. just imagine living in a state like california with 50 million people.. they would need 1667 congressmen.. could you imagine how huge of a cluster @#$% that would become?

    not to mention it would rule states like Wyoming irrelevant as they would only get 17 representatives..

    basically having that many congressmen would just assure that Los Angeles and New York completely dominate the rest of the nation in terms of legislating power..
    the most beautiful post I have ever read.. thank you Dr-1337 http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...1#post22624432

  18. #14858
    Banned Daelak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    4,242
    Quote Originally Posted by ishootblanks View Post
    crazy people could get behind that.. I can agree with you there..

    but no.. this many representatives for one would be so insanely expensive that we couldn't afford it.. for two.. there would never be an end to the campaigning and constant bombardment of political campaigning.. just imagine living in a state like california with 50 million people.. they would need 1667 congressmen.. could you imagine how huge of a cluster @#$% that would become?

    not to mention it would rule states like Wyoming irrelevant as they would only get 17 representatives..

    basically having that many congressmen would just assure that Los Angeles and New York completely dominate the rest of the nation in terms of legislating power..
    Read the site some more, they would be in your district for 10+ months. You could actually go talk to him. And there salaries would be reduced. I don't know why you wouldn't want to change this, it's making the government more responsive to its constituents and giving you a stronger voice. And it de-centralizes power in the legislative branch.

  19. #14859
    The Lightbringer eriseis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Not the ATX :(
    Posts
    3,880
    Quote Originally Posted by KingHorse View Post
    I can think of one really good reason for that, but I'm interested in yours. Share?

    Also: I'm in favor of universal healthcare, but AHCA is not that. It is a pile of shit. I don't like shit. I like healthcare.
    Hmmm...to make this my signature or not, I just love it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Espe View Post
    God, Guns, Gays and Gynecology - the Republican 4G Network.

  20. #14860
    Banned Daelak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    4,242
    Quote Originally Posted by eriseis View Post
    Hmmm...to make this my signature or not, I just love it.
    Haha, it is good

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •