1. #8041
    Old God Grizzly Willy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Kenosha, Wisconsin
    Posts
    10,207
    Oblivion, is there any reason in particular that you are for Citizen's United? Is it an extension of the freedom of speech that you're in favor of? I ask because I have a hard time seeing why it would be necessary to keep, and I can see strong reasons to remove it. While corporate personhood makes legal actions between companies smoother, it threatens the political process by giving power to people that shouldn't have it.

    ---------- Post added 2012-09-07 at 02:30 PM ----------

    http://i.imgur.com/1qGPs.jpg

    Thought you guys might appreciate this. Hopefully it's alright with the mods.

    Warning: Amusing pic, but meme-style images shouldn't be embedded directly on the forums. Just link it.
    Last edited by Baiyn; 2012-09-07 at 08:30 PM.

  2. #8042
    Quote Originally Posted by ptwonline View Post
    96,000 isn't great, but considering a few years ago the country was losing as much as 800,000 jobs/month, I wouldn't exactly call it a "train wreck".

    The U3 rate dropped a bit which is a bit deceiving, but even by the more complete U6 standard the unemployment rate has been improving year-over-year under Obama once he stopped the jobs slide.
    Admittedly things were definitely bad at that time, given the obstructionist Democrat congress that was in since 2006, but i think the -368,000 people that just gave up is a more telling number than the +96,000 jobs added. Regarding the jobs slide, that would have stopped regardless.

    Obama: "Well...it looks like those shovel ready jobs weren't as...uh...*chuckle chuckle*...shovel ready as we thought."
    Zombies: "hahahHAHAHa" "Oh, he'ssss ssssooooooo funny!"

  3. #8043
    obstructionist Democrat congress that was in since 2006
    Go on.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Everyone is pro-US. They just don't know it yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyre View Post
    Internet lives in the sky, don't need no cables for that.
    A nice list of logical fallacies. In picture form!

  4. #8044
    Quote Originally Posted by Grokan View Post
    Oblivion, is there any reason in particular that you are for Citizen's United? Is it an extension of the freedom of speech that you're in favor of? I ask because I have a hard time seeing why it would be necessary to keep, and I can see strong reasons to remove it. While corporate personhood makes legal actions between companies smoother, it threatens the political process by giving power to people that shouldn't have it.

    ---------- Post added 2012-09-07 at 02:30 PM ----------

    http://i.imgur.com/1qGPs.jpg

    Thought you guys might appreciate this. Hopefully it's alright with the mods.

    Warning: Amusing pic, but meme-style images shouldn't be embedded directly on the forums. Just link it.
    You're taking the hook to bone with the democrats mischaracterization of it.

    It's a wickerman sized strawman they have created.
    The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities.

  5. #8045
    Old God Grizzly Willy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Kenosha, Wisconsin
    Posts
    10,207
    Quote Originally Posted by oblivionx View Post
    You're taking the hook to bone with the democrats mischaracterization of it.

    It's a wickerman sized strawman they have created.
    What are you referring to? I'm not sure where I fell into a logical fallacy there.

  6. #8046
    Warchief psdew1813's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    undisclosed location in CA
    Posts
    1,883
    I don't bother replying to certain people. Mostly because with some I can't see their posts because I went to profile and chose ignore, which is something quite a few could do to me to solve your "issues" if you choose.
    BAWAHAHAHAHAHAHA. so I'm on the ignore list? wow, just goes to show that when challenged it's easier to pretend the guy doesn't exist rather than engage in actual discussion for some people. sad sad world to live in.

  7. #8047
    Quote Originally Posted by psdew1813 View Post
    BAWAHAHAHAHAHAHA. so I'm on the ignore list? wow, just goes to show that when challenged it's easier to pretend the guy doesn't exist rather than engage in actual discussion for some people. sad sad world to live in.
    I have a few people on ignore, though not many. Not because we disagree (for example I don't ignore Dacien and we have disgreed for hundred of pages) or because I did not have responses for them, but because some people made it clear they weren't actually interest in a rational or even remotely honest discussion at all. I'm not allowed to call them what I think they are, but let's just say they live under a particular type of engineered transportation structure.

    There are even a couple of posters on the last couple of pages that I have on ignore, and I am much happier for it. Sometimes I see their posts because others quote them, and I see that I am not really missing anything important anyway. I don't know why some people keep to keep replying to them.
    Last edited by ptwonline; 2012-09-07 at 09:22 PM.

  8. #8048
    Quote Originally Posted by Grokan View Post
    What are you referring to? I'm not sure where I fell into a logical fallacy there.
    Citizens United isn't nearly the boogieman it's being made out to be. Furthermore it allows unions to "advertise" which I've seen lots and lots of.

    So it's ok for unions, but not corporations?

    ---------- Post added 2012-09-07 at 09:34 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by psdew1813 View Post
    BAWAHAHAHAHAHAHA. so I'm on the ignore list? wow, just goes to show that when challenged it's easier to pretend the guy doesn't exist rather than engage in actual discussion for some people. sad sad world to live in.
    I think your sense of self is a little delusional.
    The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities.

  9. #8049
    You still haven't answered the question why you support Citizen's United. You also don't seem to understand what it meant. Unions could already run advertisements. What the ruling did was remove most of the restrictions on donations and spending and deregulated Super PACs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Everyone is pro-US. They just don't know it yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyre View Post
    Internet lives in the sky, don't need no cables for that.
    A nice list of logical fallacies. In picture form!

  10. #8050
    Old God Grizzly Willy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Kenosha, Wisconsin
    Posts
    10,207
    Quote Originally Posted by oblivionx View Post
    Citizens United isn't nearly the boogieman it's being made out to be. Furthermore it allows unions to "advertise" which I've seen lots and lots of.

    So it's ok for unions, but not corporations?
    I have never supported unions being able to advertise. At every point I've said that I want corporations and unions out.

  11. #8051
    Quote Originally Posted by Grokan View Post
    I have never supported unions being able to advertise. At every point I've said that I want corporations and unions out.
    Also you have the whole "unlimited donations" line of manure.

    It doesn't allow for it at all...
    The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities.

  12. #8052
    Quote Originally Posted by oblivionx View Post
    Also you have the whole "unlimited donations" line of manure.

    It doesn't allow for it at all...
    It allows for unlimited anonymous donations to Super PACs. For someone who supports it you don't seem to understand it, which I suppose makes sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Everyone is pro-US. They just don't know it yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyre View Post
    Internet lives in the sky, don't need no cables for that.
    A nice list of logical fallacies. In picture form!

  13. #8053
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    It allows for unlimited anonymous donations to Super PACs. For someone who supports it you don't seem to understand it, which I suppose makes sense.
    Technically it is limited donations: limited by the amount of money that is in existence.

  14. #8054
    Quote Originally Posted by ptwonline View Post
    Technically it is limited donations: limited by the amount of money that is in existence.
    It allows them to spend as much as they want on advertising as long as it doesn't go to the actual campaign.

    It's what made PAC's possible.

    It doesn't go into the party coffers at all.
    The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities.

  15. #8055
    It's what made PAC's possible.
    PACs have been around forever.
    It allows them to spend as much as they want on advertising as long as it doesn't go to the actual campaign.
    yeah and that's a huge problem.

    I honestly don't think you know much about Citizen's United or PACs
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Everyone is pro-US. They just don't know it yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyre View Post
    Internet lives in the sky, don't need no cables for that.
    A nice list of logical fallacies. In picture form!

  16. #8056
    Warchief psdew1813's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    undisclosed location in CA
    Posts
    1,883
    Quote Originally Posted by oblivionx View Post

    I think your sense of self is a little delusional.
    i simply reached that conclusion when i asked you directly to a question and you didn't answer it, until someone else posted the same question, coupled with that part where you put people on ignore, pardon me for using deductive reasoning.
    Last edited by psdew1813; 2012-09-07 at 10:17 PM.

  17. #8057
    Old God Grizzly Willy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Kenosha, Wisconsin
    Posts
    10,207
    Quote Originally Posted by oblivionx View Post
    It allows them to spend as much as they want on advertising as long as it doesn't go to the actual campaign.

    It's what made PAC's possible.

    It doesn't go into the party coffers at all.
    That's not really what I'm concerned about. The candidates should be doing the advertising, and they should be bound by law to tell the truth and verified by a disinterested party. The political process needs honesty more than anything, and I really don't see that happening with the system we have now.

  18. #8058
    My head hurts just reading the last page of this thread.
    Potato.

  19. #8059
    Quote Originally Posted by psdew1813 View Post
    i simply reached that conclusion when i asked you directly to a question and you didn't answer it, until someone else posted the same question, coupled with that part where you put people on ignore, pardon me for using deductive reasoning.
    Take this as you may, but if you are trolling it's pretty unlikely I even read what you said... let alone reply.

    ---------- Post added 2012-09-08 at 12:38 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Grokan View Post
    That's not really what I'm concerned about. The candidates should be doing the advertising, and they should be bound by law to tell the truth and verified by a disinterested party. The political process needs honesty more than anything, and I really don't see that happening with the system we have now.
    Blame Michael Moore.

    He started the whole mess.
    The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities.

  20. #8060
    Still hoping you can explain why you support Citizen's United.
    Take this as you may, but if you are trolling it's pretty unlikely I even read what you said
    How would you know he's trolling then?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Everyone is pro-US. They just don't know it yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyre View Post
    Internet lives in the sky, don't need no cables for that.
    A nice list of logical fallacies. In picture form!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •